News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Are there men who don't think with their penis? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2015, 11:54:19 PM

Eunuchs? The ones who can only think about their penis, not with it.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grallon

Quote from: Jacob on February 18, 2015, 04:32:54 PM

French style Laicite is not Canadian. Wearing a kippah, turban, or other religious head-covering is widely acceptable, in spite of the sputtering and fuming of a handful of cranks.

We are not Canadians remember?  And no in Quebec this bullshit is *not* widely acceptable.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on February 18, 2015, 10:37:27 PM

... is, ironically enough, a billboard you could not post in Quebec.  :lol:

To make the irony clear, "Linguistic identity is like a penis ... "
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2015, 05:38:42 AM
I was so transphobic - transmen. :blush:

You Monster!  I am going unleash a twitter mob on you and get you fired from your job.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 19, 2015, 09:15:31 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2015, 05:38:42 AM
I was so transphobic - transmen. :blush:

You Monster!  I am going unleash a twitter mob on you and get you fired from your job.

Hey I recognized the problem. :angry:

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2015, 11:54:19 PM
yes, most of the time.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on February 19, 2015, 09:12:18 AM
What's the point of posting something that 65% of the population won't be able to read?

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on February 18, 2015, 04:32:54 PM
But Viper, it is a welcome practice here according to the Charter, and according to a whole lot of people.
Not when it comes to identification.

French style Laicite is not Canadian. Wearing a kippah, turban, or other religious head-covering is widely acceptable, in spite of the sputtering and fuming of a handful of cranks.
It is acceptable in France, too, so long as your face isn't entirely covered so as to render any identification impossible.
Really, what's the point with increased security measure and cameras everywhere if all you need to do is pretend your religion forces you to cover yourself entirely and be exempt from any form of formal identification when required?

Grey Fox

Is this an actual position? that Religiousness = linguistic identity?

If so, I am very, very disappointed in my anglo cocitizen. I expected more from Canadian that what I would get from Americans.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Malthus enjoys trolling the Quebeckers way too much for you to take his opinions too much to heart.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 19, 2015, 09:56:35 AM

Is this an actual position? that Religiousness = linguistic identity?

If so, I am very, very disappointed in my anglo cocitizen. I expected more from Canadian that what I would get from Americans.

Both are aspects of self-identity that people find very important - they have that in common. Not that they are the same in all ways.

Asking for someone to not "push religion" on their kids is like asking for them not to "push their language" on their kids - it is, in effect, asking for people to abandon an important aspect of their culture.

As for "do not write laws with it" - well, the irony of a person from Quebec posting with approval a billboard that would be illegal in Quebec for exactly this reason ought to be apparent, no? 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius