News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on March 27, 2012, 05:42:10 PM
Also I've suddenly seen a ton of signs for the Alberta Party - of which I know nothing about.  Judging by the Yukon Party and Saskatchewan Party they'd be a mixed bag. :mellow:
They're not really a meaningful party.  Their goal is to take over the niche of the Liberal Party, and improve their standing based on the fact that they don't use the hated 'Liberal' name.  Still, without the backing and money of the teacher's union, they're not going anywhere.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 27, 2012, 05:42:10 PM
And to go back on topic - personally I'm a huge FAN of fringe right-wing parties. :wub: 

There was and will only be one Preston Manning.  You need him to make right wing fringe parties worth while.  I dont think lightening will strike twice, at least in this generation.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on March 27, 2012, 05:57:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 27, 2012, 05:42:10 PMAnd to go back on topic - personally I'm a huge FAN of fringe right-wing parties. :wub:  I'm just not sure if that instinctive liking on my part is really all that smart when it comes to Wildrose.

What's the basis for that instinctual attraction? I'm guessing you really like salt-of-the-Earth retail level political organizing, rather than the crackpot racists etc.

I've met my share of crackpot racists, one-issue nutters.  That certainly isn't the attraction.

Yea, it's the very basic salt of the earth conservatism, with a healthy dash of populist anti-elitism.  I think it's fundamentally very, very healthy for Canadian democracy that we periodically have these brand new movements - it's something the US or UK haven't been exposed to for a very very long time, and to their detriment.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Makes sense.

In other news, the Conservatives are set to raise the retirement age to 67: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/conservatives-budget-to-reset-retirement-at-age-67/article2385085/

How should I feel about that?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on March 29, 2012, 11:52:35 AM
Makes sense.

In other news, the Conservatives are set to raise the retirement age to 67: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/conservatives-budget-to-reset-retirement-at-age-67/article2385085/

That by the time you retire it'll be 70, anyway.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Makes sense.

I'm not happy about it, but it is probably inevitable and similar will happen throughout the 1st world. We have entitlement systems that were created when life expectancy was somewhat lower, and overall aging populations/low birth rates. All political parties are going to have to deal with that.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

It was inevitable.  Human rights laws were changed a few years ago to prevent employers from using age as a justification for terminating employees.  The change was made mainly because a significant number of people are now working past their mid 60s.

imo this change simply reflects the reality that people are much more healthy (not to mention ready willing and able to work) in their 60s then back in the day when the retirement system was first created.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 29, 2012, 11:53:26 AM
Makes sense.

I hope to get rich and be able to retire before 70... but we'll see :)

Josephus

Makes sense.

Nah. By the time he gets there there won't be anything left.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on March 29, 2012, 12:16:55 PM
Makes sense.

I hope to get rich and be able to retire before 70... but we'll see :)

then the 6k a year from the fund won't matter at all to you.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 29, 2012, 12:42:20 PMthen the 6k a year from the fund won't matter at all to you.

Well, obviously not... if I succeed :)

However, I wasn't really concerned about any personal impact as much as the broader results for society as a whole.

Neil

In potentially dangerous news, the Wildrose Alliance is polling higher than the Tories.  I wonder how the Tories are feeling about Redford's ploy of attracting a whole bunch of Liberal voters into the leadership race to vote for her?

These could be dangerous times for the wealthiest, most successful and least shitty province in Canada.  :(
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on March 29, 2012, 01:05:30 PM
In potentially dangerous news, the Wildrose Alliance is polling higher than the Tories.  I wonder how the Tories are feeling about Redford's ploy of attracting a whole bunch of Liberal voters into the leadership race to vote for her?

These could be dangerous times for the wealthiest, most successful and least shitty province in Canada.  :(

I overheard a colleague telling another colleague he was supporting the PCs because "Redford was the most liberal leader you could expect in Alberta".

I'm certainly open to voting Wildrose if they can convince me they have enough competent people to fill a cabinet.

Barrister

Biggest news of the day:

Ottawa kills the penny!!!!!11111 :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

I hate those little copper fuckers.

Barrister

They also expect to cut spending by $5 bil, including some 19,000 public service positions.

Perhaps it was a good move to leave the federal public servcie when I did.