News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 03, 2012, 11:24:20 AM
As for raising royalty rates, as I implied it was tried in 2008.  It lead to an immediate massive decrease in activity in the oil industry.

I wonder what also happened in 2008 that might have caused a massive decrease in oil activity :hmm:

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 03, 2012, 11:27:27 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 03, 2012, 11:24:20 AM
As for raising royalty rates, as I implied it was tried in 2008.  It lead to an immediate massive decrease in activity in the oil industry.

I wonder what also happened in 2008 that might have caused a massive decrease in oil activity :hmm:

True dat.

But the world economy isn't in a whole lot better shape now than it was in 2008.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

True, but oil prices are a lot better now then they were right after the crash.

A company I know of that supplies parts to the oilsands had to shut down completely for months simply because the price of oil was so low that nobody was doing anything up there.

Neil

Unless China suddenly collapses, I wouldn't worry too much about a slowdown in the oilpatch.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on April 03, 2012, 02:22:28 PM
Unless China suddenly collapses, I wouldn't worry too much about a slowdown in the oilpatch.

:contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

So Alberta shouldn't raise fees on exploiting the oil sands because the Chinese economy is about to collapse?

You're not making a good case there, BB.

crazy canuck

Why is Chretian talking up an NDP/Liberal merger?  Dont get me wrong, I would like to see it happen.  But why does he?

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2012, 05:37:04 PM
Why is Chretian talking up an NDP/Liberal merger?  Dont get me wrong, I would like to see it happen.  But why does he?

Provides him an opportunity to give selected NDP delegates the famous "Shawinigan Handshake".  ;) 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PRC

Probably a good idea for both of those parties to make that move, but I have a feeling the egos involved would kibosh it as soon as they tried to decide on the merged parties name.

Jacob

My guess:

You picture a party combining the impractical ideas and governing inexperience of the NDP with the lack of direction and general moribund stagnation of the Liberals still sporting a lingering whiff of corruption; a party which will push small c conservatives, moderates in favour of pragmatic government and anyone in favour of a prudent management of the economy into the arms of the Conservative party on a more permanent basis.

Chretien, on his part, probably pictures a party combining the enthusiasm and drive of the NDP last election with the pragmatic governing skills and credibility of the Liberal party divorced from any old scandals of the past; a party which ends the vote splitting of the majority of voters who did not go for the Conservatives and wins back the moderate middle from the Conservatives.

Now personally I have no idea which narrative is more likely to play out in case of a NDP-Liberal merger, but I expect you and Chretien have a different notion of what the most likely outcome is.

crazy canuck

Even if you have correctly guessed at each of our motivations, both end in the destruction of the Liberal party (something I would dearly love to see) but I dont know why Jean would.

Jacob

Quote from: PRC on April 16, 2012, 05:47:53 PM

Probably a good idea for both of those parties to make that move, but I have a feeling the egos involved would kibosh it as soon as they tried to decide on the merged parties name.

The New Democratic Liberal Party? - probably too NDPish.
The New Liberal Party? - too slanted towards the Libs.
The Liberal Democratic Party? - that could work. LDP sounds like NDP, almost, but the Liberals go first.
The Democratic Liberal Party? - as could work as well, though they'd end up being "the Democrats" and that's probably too American.

... or they could go with something completely fresh, like... I dunno... any suggestions?

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2012, 06:01:59 PM
Even if you have correctly guessed at each of our motivations, both end in the destruction of the Liberal party (something I would dearly love to see) but I dont know why Jean would.

Even IF I got it right....

Well, maybe our man Jean is more concerned about beating the Conservatives than he is about preserving the Liberals? Or maybe he thinks the Liberals can take over and remain the Liberals.

Malthus

My "Shawinigan Handshake" speculation is far more realistic.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius