News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on March 27, 2012, 11:13:21 AM
Yeah, maybe it's just an Ontario thing, CC...if you want to see it, though, I linked to it.

From what I understand of Ontario politics I would say that attack ad is bang on.  From the Conservative point of view they would much rather be in a two party race against the NDP then face a stronger Liberal party that might move right into the ground the Conservatives need to win.

As we have discussed before I think Federal politics will become better if the NDP and Conservatives battle for the middle then having the Liberals there forcing the other two to ideological extremes.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on March 27, 2012, 10:59:09 AM
So, you won't vote PC?  :D
They're making it difficult, and I've been with the party for years.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

I read in the Globe that Mulcair has made his first major political blunder.  It is described as being a policy that was given long consideration but by following this policy Mulcair has doomed the NDP in the West.

What is that policy - he has decided to pit East against West.

QuoteSpeaking to reporters afterward, he laid out his concerns for the state of the Canadian economy and accused the federal government of neglecting workers as it promotes the extraction of natural resources, mainly in Western Canada.

"That's driven up the value of the Canadian dollar, made it more difficult to export our own goods. We're killing our manufacturing sector," he said. "The way the Conservatives are acting has had a devastating impact on good jobs with pensions."

You may recall the Premier of Ontario tried this line out and quickly retracted.  As I pointed out when the Ontario Premier tried to blame the West for the manufacturing troubles in the East - the loss of jobs and the strength of the Canadian dollar against the US dollar has much more to do with the weakness of the American economy and the loss of value of the US dollar then it has to do with people in the West making a buck.

Eastern politicians like Mulcair are well advised to remember the anger the NEP caused in the West.  Forgetting that history puts him well on the road to ensuring the NDP lose, not gain, seats in the West in the next election.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 27, 2012, 11:13:28 AM
Quote from: Jacob on March 27, 2012, 11:08:47 AM
CC: maybe a new party with some of the same people can avoid the HST taint and keep government out of Dix's hands?

First, this is not a new party.  The Conservatives have been around forever.  Its just that since the rise of the Social Credit party - and then the Liberal party after Social Credit imploded - the Conservatives have been relegated to the fringes of BC politics.

I have never cared for the BC Conservative party and I suspect there are many people like me.  That is why the NDP will win the next election.  The vote on the centre right will be split.

Yeah, I know they're not new, but if they do anything they'll be "new on the scene" so to speak. Though "the New Conservatives" does have a certain ring to it.

What's wrong with the BC Conservatives?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on March 27, 2012, 11:42:21 AM

Nothing if you like right wing fringe parties.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 27, 2012, 11:44:38 AM
Quote from: Jacob on March 27, 2012, 11:42:21 AM
Nothing if you like right wing fringe parties.
So they're like the Wildrose Alliance in Alberta then?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on March 27, 2012, 11:54:45 AM

I dont know much about them - other than the expertise of their graphic artists.  But one difference is that the Wildrose party is, iirc, relatively new.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 27, 2012, 11:44:38 AMNothing if you like right wing fringe parties.

Oh you know me. Big fan of right wing fringe parties  :lol:

So, it's a winning mix of idiosyncratic personalities, social illiberalism, small-town populism and strong opinions without the redeeming feature of competence? Something like that?

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 27, 2012, 12:07:04 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 27, 2012, 11:54:45 AM
I dont know much about them - other than the expertise of their graphic artists.  But one difference is that the Wildrose party is, iirc, relatively new.
Yeah.  It calved off of the Tories when Stelmach won the leadership.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 27, 2012, 11:09:18 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 27, 2012, 09:25:59 AM
and I received my first PC robo-call during the Jets game. :ultra:

It was a small mercy to deflect attention from the fact that the Jets are not going to make the playoffs.

It was a very exciting game - but when the ultimate result was an Ottawa win, it really seals their fate.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on March 27, 2012, 12:21:36 PM
So, it's a winning mix of idiosyncratic personalities, social illiberalism, small-town populism and strong opinions without the redeeming feature of competence? Something like that?

Add in some racism and a hope to undue the last 20-50 years of jurisprudence and treaty making regarding native issues and you get the picture.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 27, 2012, 01:07:35 PM

It was a small mercy to deflect attention from the fact that the Jets are not going to make the playoffs.

It was a very exciting game - but when the ultimate result was an Ottawa win, it really seals their fate.

Despite all the trash I talked when the team was coming to the Peg I was sorry to see it.  Having them make the payoffs would have been a great story.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 27, 2012, 04:16:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 27, 2012, 01:07:35 PM

Despite all the trash I talked when the team was coming to the Peg I was sorry to see it.  Having them make the payoffs would have been a great story.

Well on the upside I've had more fun watching hockey since, well, ever.  Really.  I was a Jets fan pre-'96, but only fairly casually (and back then it's not like you could watch every single game on tv).

I've had a blast being a huge hockey fan this year.  Although it's kind of amazing how much a bad loss like last night can ruin your night. :mad:

And to go back on topic - personally I'm a huge FAN of fringe right-wing parties. :wub:  I'm just not sure if that instinctive liking on my part is really all that smart when it comes to Wildrose.

Also I've suddenly seen a ton of signs for the Alberta Party - of which I know nothing about.  Judging by the Yukon Party and Saskatchewan Party they'd be a mixed bag. :mellow:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on March 27, 2012, 05:42:10 PMAnd to go back on topic - personally I'm a huge FAN of fringe right-wing parties. :wub:  I'm just not sure if that instinctive liking on my part is really all that smart when it comes to Wildrose.

What's the basis for that instinctual attraction? I'm guessing you really like salt-of-the-Earth retail level political organizing, rather than the crackpot racists etc.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 27, 2012, 04:05:32 PMAdd in some racism and a hope to undue the last 20-50 years of jurisprudence and treaty making regarding native issues and you get the picture.

Yeah, that doesn't make them any more attractive to me.