Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on November 14, 2019, 12:18:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2019, 12:08:07 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 14, 2019, 12:02:31 PM
Not sure what is even mildly weird, let alone "very weird," in Malthus's position.

Well then maybe you can explain it to me.

Don Cherry is not representative of Anglo Canada. 

Ah. Gotcha. I understand the confusion.

I was talking about Quebec in general, not Don Cherry specifically.

But what Zoupa said was true. That dude has been infamous for decades for hating the Quebecois and being an asshole about them. It seems reasonable to point that out that it was not that that got him fired. That was, apparently, ok.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

and what malthus is saying was that he was spiteful about a lot of things, none of which he was fired for. If he was purely just anti Quebec it would be one thing, but dude was a old right winger. he said questionable and derogatory things about a lot of topics. he's not a lens into anglo Canadas view about Quebec any more then he's a lens about anglo Canadas views about bicycles or the swedes.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2019, 12:27:58 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 14, 2019, 12:18:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2019, 12:08:07 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 14, 2019, 12:02:31 PM
Not sure what is even mildly weird, let alone "very weird," in Malthus's position.

Well then maybe you can explain it to me.

Don Cherry is not representative of Anglo Canada. 

Ah. Gotcha. I understand the confusion.

I was talking about Quebec in general, not Don Cherry specifically.

But what Zoupa said was true. That dude has been infamous for decades for hating the Quebecois and being an asshole about them. It seems reasonable to point that out that it was not that that got him fired. That was, apparently, ok.

Perhaps the context you are missing is that he was infamous for decades about ranting about many things, among which was Quebec.

For that reason, it makes little sense to use him as a barometer for attitudes about Quebec, just because he was eventually fired for one of his (many) rants - in this case, about immigrants not wearing the poppy - and not for ranting about Quebec.

Of course people from Quebec find him most notorious for ranting about Quebec. It's perfectly understandable. I would too. But it is not the case that he was all along ranting only about Quebec, but was suddenly fired when he dared rant about something else. He's been ranting about many things for years. What has changed, is that people, and so the networks, have grown gradually less willing to tolerate offensive ranting.

Not sure why this is controversial.

Look at the wiki article on him and you will see what I mean. He's an equal-opportunity offender. Quebec isn't even his main target (that would be "left-wing kooks" who ride bicycles and believe in climate change).

QuotePolitical views
Over his career on television, Cherry generated significant controversy about both hockey and politics.[11][40]

In 1989, he referred to Finnish-born Winnipeg Jets assistant coach Alpo Suhonen as "some kind of dog food", triggering the threat of a lawsuit from Jets owner Barry Shenkarow.[11]

In 2003, Cherry made comments on his CBC segment in support of the 2003 invasion of Iraq. On March 22, 2003, Cherry criticized Montreal fans for booing the American national anthem before a game earlier in the week. The conversation then turned to the war when Ron MacLean said "everybody wants to know what you think". Cherry berated MacLean about being neutral on the war and strongly criticized the Canadian government for failing to support the U.S. in the war.[41] Cherry appeared on the American radio program The Jim Rome Show the following week, stating, "You have to realize the CBC is government owned [...] You have to say the government was against [the invasion of Iraq] and I'm for it and I'm on a government program. I really thought this could be the end."[42]

In January 2004, on the subject of visors, Cherry claimed on Coach's Corner that visor users have less respect for player safety and attempted to illustrate his claim by saying : "Most of the guys that wear them are Europeans and French guys". This statement triggered an investigation by the federal Official Languages Commissioner, and protests by French-Canadians. CBC consequently imposed a seven-second delay on Hockey Night in Canada. Later on, a study was published that proved Cherry to be half-right: while 50% of Europeans and 40% of French-Canadians wore visors, compared to 22% of North Americans born outside of Quebec, players who wear visors committed proportionately fewer high-sticking penalties than players who do not.[43] Cherry returned to the Coach's Corner for the 2005–06 NHL season without the seven-second delay.

After appearing in the House of Commons of Canada on November 7, 2006, he formally stated his support for Prime Minister Stephen Harper, whom he called "a grinder and a mucker" by saying "I give a thumbs up to Stephen Harper for sure. He supports the troops and I support the troops."[44]

On December 7, 2010, Cherry attended the inaugural meeting of Toronto City Council, where he placed the chain of office around incoming Mayor Rob Ford's neck.[45] Cherry was asked to say a few remarks and he opened by stating "I'm wearing pink for all the pinkos out there that ride bicycles and everything, I thought I'd get it in." He then went on to state that he had "been ripped to shreds by the left-wing pinko newspapers out there" and ended saying "And that's why I say he's gonna be the greatest mayor this city has ever, ever seen, as far as I'm concerned! And put that in your pipe, you left-wing kooks." Left-leaning councillors were critical of Cherry's speech, and the following day some of them wore pink clothing in protest, including Joe Mihevc and Ana Bailão, who wore pink scarves while Janet Davis wore a pink suit jacket.[46] Mihevc said, "We all love Don Cherry and his comments and forcefulness in hockey games, but this is council. It's a political arena where we make it a habit to reach out, talk to others and achieve consensus. To have that kind of, frankly, belligerence and pushing people aside, to start out this way I think is really unfortunate." Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong defended Cherry though he stated that it was "A little over the top" and that "You take it for what it is and you shrug it off and move forward." Cherry defended his comments by stating "Well, what can I tell you? Don't invite me. You don't invite a pit bull. If you want a pit bull, you get a pit bull."[47] Later that month, Cherry was a guest of Rob Ford on a trip to visit Canadian troops in Afghanistan conducted by the Government of Canada, where he attended and spoke at a Christmas dinner event.[48]

Cherry is a strong supporter of the Canadian Forces, police officers, and veterans.[49][50]

In 2018, Cherry faced backlash after denying the existence of climate change and referred to people who do as "cuckaloos".[51] Environment Minister Catherine McKenna responded by saying, "For hockey you can turn to Coach's Corner if you want, for climate change, Canadians turn to scientists."[51] Cherry has expressed similar views in the past such as during a 2008 Hockey Night in Canada broadcast when he called environmental activist David Suzuki a "left-wing kook."[51]

Removal from Hockey Night in Canada
On November 9, 2019, Cherry made remarks during Coach's Corner suggesting that Canadian immigrants benefit from the sacrifices of veterans and do not wear remembrance poppies. He remarked, "You people that come here... you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that... These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada, these guys paid the biggest price."[52] Sportsnet apologized for the remarks, stating that his comments were discriminatory and offensive, and that they "do not represent our values and what we stand for as a network."[53] His co-host, Ron MacLean, also apologized via Twitter, expressing regret for his actions and for allowing Cherry make the comments.[54] The NHL subsequently released a statement on Cherry's comments saying "the comments made last night were offensive and contrary to the values we believe in."[55] Cherry later told the Toronto Sun that he would not apologize for his comments, stating, "I have had my say."[56]

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council (CBSC) stated that its internal systems had been overloaded by a high number of complaints.[57] Two days later, on November 11, Sportsnet president Bart Yabsley announced that Cherry had been fired: "Following further discussions with Don Cherry after Saturday night's broadcast, it has been decided it is the right time for him to immediately step down."[58] Speaking to the Toronto Sun, Cherry commented, "I know what I said and I meant it. Everybody in Canada should wear a poppy to honour our fallen soldiers... I would have liked to continue doing Coach's Corner. The problem is if I have to watch everything I say, it isn't Coach's Corner."[59] He later said that if he had to do it again, he would have said "everybody".[60][61]

It is also worth noting his rants about Quebec (and French hockey players) happened years ago. Standards of tolerance for celebrity ranters have changed.

From the Montreal Gazette:

QuoteThose types of comments often caused controversy, although it's been years since he's made any controversial remarks on Hockey Night in Canada about francophones. But few in francophone Quebec appear to have forgiven him for what he's said in the past.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/few-in-francophone-quebec-shed-tears-over-firing-of-don-cherry
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zoupa

Shitting on Francos : oh he's just kooky uncle Don. Don't take it personally! Look, he's also against people using bicycles. It's not personal guys!

Shitting on multiculturalism: we deeply apologize for Mr Cherry's awful remarks. We take this matter seriously. He has been fired.

Quebecers: sigh.

HVC

He was technically shitting on my family, immigrants who don't buy poppies and live in Toronto lol.

He said a lot of douchy things, about a lot of people. Quebecers included. Should he have been fired for going after "you people"? Probably. If he had worded it differently (you people and taking our milk and honey leaves little racist wiggle room). Times change. Had he done it ten years ago the star would have run an angry article or two and it would have blown over. My contention is that his actions  somehow shine a light on the anglos world view of Quebec any more then his other comments show how much anglos hate Swedish people.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ancient Demon

What he said wasn't racist or incorrect, but it was insensitive, and that's enough to get people fired these days.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Valmy

Quote from: Ancient Demon on November 14, 2019, 09:14:57 PM
What he said wasn't racist or incorrect, but it was insensitive, and that's enough to get people fired these days.

Why do you hate HVC and his family?  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Zoupa on November 14, 2019, 08:55:20 PM
Shitting on Francos : oh he's just kooky uncle Don. Don't take it personally! Look, he's also against people using bicycles. It's not personal guys!

Shitting on multiculturalism: we deeply apologize for Mr Cherry's awful remarks. We take this matter seriously. He has been fired.

Quebecers: sigh.

You are missing the "shitting on Francos years ago" versus "shitting on immigrants today" part. Thing is, that's the important part.

In short - what HVC said.

Speaking as a bicycle-riding climate change-believing commie pinko, Mr. Cherry would hate me as much, if not more, than you.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Yet, the coward CBC didn't fire him back when he made comments disparaging Francos.

It took Rogers to do it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on November 14, 2019, 09:08:50 PM
He said a lot of douchy things, about a lot of people. Quebecers included. Should he have been fired for going after "you people"? Probably. If he had worded it differently (you people and taking our milk and honey leaves little racist wiggle room). Times change. Had he done it ten years ago the star would have run an angry article or two and it would have blown over. My contention is that his actions  somehow shine a light on the anglos world view of Quebec any more then his other comments show how much anglos hate Swedish people.
Oh no! :o

The Poppy Wars have reached Canada :console:

Our current level of absurd "respect" for the fallen at Tranmere Rovers:

And this guy on Question Time :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

This looks like an attack of poppy-shaped triffids.  :D

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 15, 2019, 02:42:59 PM
And this guy on Question Time :blink:

I was trying to google to find out the story here.  The guy's a nobody, but it looks like the poppy in question has been Photoshopped.

Here's another version:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on November 14, 2019, 12:53:57 PM
and what malthus is saying was that he was spiteful about a lot of things, none of which he was fired for. If he was purely just anti Quebec it would be one thing, but dude was a old right winger. he said questionable and derogatory things about a lot of topics. he's not a lens into anglo Canadas view about Quebec any more then he's a lens about anglo Canadas views about bicycles or the swedes.
But, the moment he emitted a mild criticism of canadian multi-culturalism, he was out.

That is saying something.

You can say whatever you want in whatever way you want, but the moment you criticize Canada's re-foundation myth of 1982, where everyone lives in harmony and everything is beautiful, you're out.

See the knee-jerk Albertan's reactions to Blanchette's trolling.  He just returned the decade-old argument against Quebec nationalism to Western nationalism, and people are out in the streets burning look-alike dolls. ;)  Ok, that wasn't litteral, but, given Scheer and other's reactions, that's almost what happenned :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2019, 02:49:33 PM
I was trying to google to find out the story here.  The guy's a nobody, but it looks like the poppy in question has been Photoshopped.

Here's another version:

:lol: Sorry :blush:

He is an audience member on Question Time - and he has still got an outsized poppy (I don't even know where you'd get that) the original picture guy on the left is the standard poppy.

In all honesty I find the whole poppy wars kind of depressing. It's become a culture war issue when it used to be that everyone could just wear a poppy, a white poppy, or not, and it wouldn't be an issue :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 14, 2019, 01:25:46 PM
From the Montreal Gazette:

QuoteThose types of comments often caused controversy, although it's been years since he's made any controversial remarks on Hockey Night in Canada about francophones. But few in francophone Quebec appear to have forgiven him for what he's said in the past.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/few-in-francophone-quebec-shed-tears-over-firing-of-don-cherry

CBC got a slapp on the wrist and was forced to use a 7 second delay before broadcasting him.  That is why there has been no rants on Quebecers recently ;)
But he mostly shifted his targets to Europeans, no one seems to care about them white folks either ;)

The point is, CBC was fine with these kind of comments for years.
Now, Sportsnet is a little less satisfied.

Or maybe, they're losing a ton of money and found a simple way to ease their total payroll...
After all, most of these contracts have a clause where you can't jeopardize the brand of your employer, or something like that. 
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.