News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Wider and longer seems to be what you Canadians prefer in football.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 13, 2019, 01:07:31 AM
Wider and longer seems to be what you Canadians prefer in football.

Not just in football. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on November 12, 2019, 02:41:29 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 11, 2019, 06:16:35 PM
Sure, the NHL changes all the time but they are a 3 billion $ org. Youth hockey, beer-leagues, etc, so much of it was/is define by the Cherryiac view of Hockey.
I'm not sure Cherry is the one holding people from changing their views.  More likely that his listeners agree with his views and then listen to him because of it.

He's the social zeitgeist of youth hockey.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 12, 2019, 06:26:41 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 12, 2019, 03:56:58 PMThat doesn't necessarily mean they secretly want to wear neon pinstriped suits themselves, or agree with his rants.

Sure.

But every equivalent in Quebec has the usual pundits take on their amateur sociologist costume to tell us how "revealing" it is that such racist-equivalent has a column/air time/recognition in French Canada. For Cherry, however, he's just some isolated troll who just happened to keep his high-profile job as hockey commentator (no doubt a marginal sport in Canada) despite 25 years of racist comments.

People here tend to rant about Quebec legislation, not Quebec sports commentators. 

I don't think Quebec legislators are really the "equivalent" of Don Cherry.

Don Cherry was racist and offensive to just about everyone - including, it may be noted, Torontonians, gays and bicycle riders. If you want to make the case that he's really a window into the psyche of English Canada, go ahead.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zoupa

He's been on the Anglophone, national and public channel CBC for most of his career, despite numerous racist rants.

I got a river in Egypt you might be interested in.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on November 13, 2019, 12:32:38 PM
He's been on the Anglophone, national and public channel CBC for most of his career, despite numerous racist rants.

Don Cherry is who is is - he's said numerous things that are right-wing, anti-Europeans (and French!), and obviously pro-fighting in hockey.

But even googling through the numerous Don Cherry controversies over the years, he's never (until I guess now) said anything remotely racist.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

The point is that he's ranted about lots of stuff, among which is his thing against Quebec.

You are cherry-picking what is important to you. That's understandable, but if it makes no sense to assert that "Anglophones" in general in a hive-mind way support (say) shitting on people to ride bicycles just because Don Cherry ranted about that

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2019, 12:56:55 AM
But Olympic sized ice is terrible.  The ice isn't any longer - just wider.  So any play along the boards just makes it even harder to score.
the difference is not as big as it was in the past, during the heydays of hooking, but with these larger rinks, the play is a lot more open and favours speedy players.

So, when I see the best of the NHL play there and really, really use their speed and talent, I love it. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

Quote from: Malthus on November 13, 2019, 03:04:31 PM

The point is that he's ranted about lots of stuff, among which is his thing against Quebec.

You are cherry-picking what is important to you. That's understandable, but if it makes no sense to assert that "Anglophones" in general in a hive-mind way support (say) shitting on people to ride bicycles just because Don Cherry ranted about that.

:lol: Alright, sure Malthus.

Valmy

You are cherry-picking what is important to you. That's understandable, but if it makes no sense to assert that "Anglophones" in general in a hive-mind way support (say) shitting on people to ride bicycles just because Don Cherry ranted about that

You are very weird about this one topic Malthus.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2019, 11:57:47 AM

Not sure what is even mildly weird, let alone "very weird," in Malthus's position.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on November 14, 2019, 12:02:31 PM
Not sure what is even mildly weird, let alone "very weird," in Malthus's position.

Well then maybe you can explain it to me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2019, 11:57:47 AM

He's having a, understandable, hard time with being lopped in with a very violent & bigoted man.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2019, 12:08:07 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 14, 2019, 12:02:31 PM

Well then maybe you can explain it to me.

Don Cherry is not representative of Anglo Canada. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!