[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 22, 2019, 01:05:48 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2019, 12:55:46 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 22, 2019, 12:54:30 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2019, 11:58:52 AM
The China FIPA - I don't even understand the concern there.  As pointed out we have FIPA agreements with numerous countries.

Negotiated in secret, ratified in secret. Forces Canada to exploit the Tar sands. All advantages of the treaty are either Chinese or Private enterprises owned by Chinese interest.

All treaties are negotiated in secret.  You can't negotiate in public.

And where do you get your talking points from?  I've literally never heard of this being an issue before.

May mentioned it in the debate.

It is why Trudeau bought TMX, we have to build the Chinese a pipeline.

:tinfoil:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2019, 01:06:54 PM
The China FIPA - I don't even understand the concern there.  As pointed out we have FIPA agreements with numerous countries.

Negotiated in secret, ratified in secret. Forces Canada to exploit the Tar sands. All advantages of the treaty are either Chinese or Private enterprises owned by Chinese interest.

And where do you get your talking points from?  I've literally never heard of this being an issue before.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/may/31/justin-trudeau-kinder-morgan-pipeline-china-did-he-fear-being-sued
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on October 22, 2019, 11:35:26 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2019, 09:12:22 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on October 22, 2019, 06:48:50 AM
Well, how was The Who? Do you have a set list?

It was a great show.  They had a full orchestra on stage. First third was Tommy then new material from their December release which also has orchestra backing interspersed with greatest hits finished off with Baba O'Riley.

Highlights, Townsend still has it - some amazing interludes featuring him doing his thing.  He also has a great sense of humour, lots of self deprecating humour about their age.

Did Eddie Vedder come on stage for a song? According to setlist fm he did for The Punk and the Godfather

He did, a cameo to do some back up vocals.  Pretty cool.

viper37

Quote from: saskganesh on October 22, 2019, 06:55:23 AM
Harper also had the In and Out scandal and the false costing of the F-35. There's more if you look.
The Bloc Québécois used the scheme and wasn't sanctionned for it.  The Conservatives did it, and agreed to pay 230k$ in fine.
How much did the Sponsorship scandal got the Liberal govt?  How much money did SNC contribute to the LPC?

The false costing of the F-35 is a made up scandal by the Liberals, like they did with the helicopters replacing the aging Sea Kings in 1993.  We had to wait 2005 to get new helicopters that weren't flying coffins for our soldiers.

And now, with the greatest Prime Minister ever of the most best country in the world, we still have no replacement for the F-18, we're on track to use the F-35 at higher costs than before, and maintenance costs are ramping up for the F-18 that need a retrofit to keep on flying until the govt decides what to do.

That is Liberal management 101.  Pretend there is a problem and when there is none, create it.

Where were the Bloc Québécois and the Quebec seperatist movement going in Quebec before Trudeau's election?  Nowhere.  Did we hear talks of Albertan secession?  Nope.  Who did the Albertans choose as their provincial party?  the NDP and a carbon tax...  Where are we going now with Trudeau?  Jason Kenney is Premier, Alberta is pumping out CO2 like there's no tomorrow, the Bloc is 2nd opposition in parliament and will use their momentum to revive the nearly brain dead PQ.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on October 22, 2019, 02:05:11 PM
Where were the Bloc Québécois and the Quebec seperatist movement going in Quebec before Trudeau's election?  Nowhere.  Did we hear talks of Albertan secession?  Nope.  Who did the Albertans choose as their provincial party?  the NDP and a carbon tax...  Where are we going now with Trudeau?  Jason Kenney is Premier, Alberta is pumping out CO2 like there's no tomorrow, the Bloc is 2nd opposition in parliament and will use their momentum to revive the nearly brain dead PQ.

I really don't think you can "blame" Justin Trudeau for Jason Kenney becoming Alberta's Premier. :tinfoil:

You know, I was looking through the Alberta election results.  The amount of Conservative support is staggering.  In some rural ridings the Conservative got up to 80% of the vote.  Even here in "Redmonton" Conservatives were winning 50% of the vote in several ridings.  That amount of single-party support is amazing.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 22, 2019, 01:12:49 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2019, 01:06:54 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/may/31/justin-trudeau-kinder-morgan-pipeline-china-did-he-fear-being-sued
that's a big stretch with mostly half truths.

He couldn't be sued for not building a pipeline.  That's impossible as per the terms of the treaty.  Facilitate access to natural resources isn't the same as "buy&build a pipeline at any costs".
If this was Harper's "fault", don't you think Trudeau would have piped about it for the last 4 years?

What is most likely happening is this was part of the conditions asked by China for signing a FTA that was so dear to Trudeau.  That is highly logical, contrary to the conspiracy theories you posted.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Sure, MY conspiracy theories are not logical. :rolleyes:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Any talk of a sane democratic system in Canada given the multiple parties and your generally progressive outlook?
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on October 22, 2019, 02:43:00 PM
Any talk of a sane democratic system in Canada given the multiple parties and your generally progressive outlook?

Yeah, there was. By Trudeau. He was really hot on promising election reform, before the previous election.

Sadly, a full term with a majority gained under the old system soon cured him of that:lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: saskganesh on October 22, 2019, 06:55:23 AM
Harper also had the In and Out scandal and the false costing of the F-35. There's more if you look.

In and out was an accounting scandal.  The party never hid anything, they tried an accounting trick that Elections Canada ultimately ruled they couldn't use.  Yawn.

Accounting scandals and "tricks" aren't a big deal. I'll let the CPA know, that opens up a whole new world for us :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on October 22, 2019, 02:43:00 PM

Sure.  As mentioned, Trudeau promised that 2015 would be the last election held under the first past the post system.  After winning he struck an all-party committee to study the issue.

It rapidly became apparent that each party would only support the voting system that would benefit their own party.  The Conservatives wanted no change - they typically benefit from FPTP.  The Liberals supported a ranked ballot, where you rank your selection 1, 2, 3.  This of course greatly benefits a centrist party like the Liberals, as they are usually everyone' second or third choice.

NDP on the other hand wanted proportional representation, as being the third party they typically get fewer seats compared to the total number of votes they get.

So the all-party came back recommending proportional representation (as backed by the NDP), but that it would have to be ratified in a referendum first (as backed by the Conservatives, hoping to defeat the whole idea).  The Liberals refused to sign off on the recommendation, and eventually killed the idea of electoral reform.

Valmy

Hey if the Conservatives had gone along with proportional representation we would be preparing for a conservative minority government right now -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 22, 2019, 03:00:19 PM
Hey if the Conservatives had gone along with proportional representation we would be preparing for a conservative minority government right now -_-

Yes - but you'd never ever get a conservative majority government.  Plus it makes it more likely that splinter parties will form.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 22, 2019, 02:40:41 PM
Sure, MY conspiracy theories are not logical. :rolleyes:
post the relevent text that forces Canada to do this, and I'll believe you.
when it comes to international trade, you tag the NDP/Trump line that free trade is bad for our countries.

viper37