News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on October 22, 2019, 08:25:21 AM
No, I looked it up once I posted. I'm not sure how one can make a bigger deal than necessary of being woke.

In this context, it means 'made a big deal of it, when he clearly wasn't'. 

In short, the criticism is that he's a hypocrite. He made a big display of being 'woke' when it was politically useful to do so; but for fun, he liked to don blackface, which isn't a particularly 'woke' practice. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: saskganesh on October 22, 2019, 06:48:50 AM
Well, how was The Who? Do you have a set list?

It was a great show.  They had a full orchestra on stage. First third was Tommy then new material from their December release which also has orchestra backing interspersed with greatest hits finished off with Baba O'Riley.

Highlights, Townsend still has it - some amazing interludes featuring him doing his thing.  He also has a great sense of humour, lots of self deprecating humour about their age.

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on October 22, 2019, 08:32:24 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 22, 2019, 07:09:53 AM
Harper signed FIPA. Unethical thru out.

Coalitions could work better in Canada if the NDP could realise they are not going to win a plurality.

If signing a FIPA makes a PM unethical throughout, there were very few recent PMs with any ethics whatsoever:

QuoteFIPAs in force
The following is a list of FIPAs in force, including date of entry into force.

Canada–Argentina (29 April 1993)
Canada–Armenia (29 March 1999)
Canada–Barbados (17 January 1997)
Canada–Benin (18 January 2013)
Canada–Burkina Faso (11 October 2017)
Canada–Cameroon (16 December 2016)
Canada–China (1 October 2014)
Canada–Costa Rica (29 September 1999)
Canada–Côte d'Ivoire (14 December 2015)
Canada–Croatia (30 January 2001)
Canada–Czech Republic (22 January 2012)
Canada–Ecuador (6 June 1997)
Canada–Egypt (3 November 1997)
Canada–Guinea (27 March 2017)
Canada–Hong Kong (6 September 2016)
Canada–Hungary (21 November 1993)
Canada–Jordan (14 December 2009)
Canada–Kosovo (19 December 2018)
Canada–Kuwait (19 February 2014)
Canada–Latvia (24 November 2011)
Canada–Lebanon (19 June 1999)
Canada–Mali (8 June 2016)
Canada–Mongolia (24 February 2017)
Canada–Panama (13 February 1998)
Canada–Peru (20 June 2007)
Canada–Philippines (13 November 1996)
Canada–Poland (22 November 1990)
Canada–Romania (23 November 2011)
Canada–Russian Federation (27 June 1991)
Canada–Senegal (5 August 2016)
Canada–Serbia (27 April 2015)
Canada–Slovak Republic (14 March 2012)
Canada–Tanzania (9 December 2013)
Canada–Thailand (24 September 2008)
Canada–Trinidad & Tobago (8 June 1996)
Canada–Ukraine (24 June 1995)
Canada–Uruguay (2 June 1999)
Canada–Venezuela (28 January 1998)
FIPAs signed
The following is a list of FIPAs that have been concluded and signed, but have not yet entered into force.[7]

Canada–Moldova (June 2018)
Canada–Nigeria (May 2014)
FIPA negotiations concluded
The following is a list of FIPA negotiations concluded, and are not in force. First is the country, then the date it was concluded.[7]

Canada–Albania (November 2013)
Canada–Bahrain (February 2010)
Canada–Madagascar (August 2008)
Canada–Zambia (March 2013)
Canada–United Arab Emirates (May 2018)

It would appear that there will be no PMs with any ethics whatsoever in the future, either, no matter the election results:

QuoteOngoing FIPA negotiations
The following is a list of FIPA negotiations that have not yet concluded.

Canada–Democratic Republic of the Congo
Canada–Gabon
Canada–Georgia
Canada–Ghana
Canada–India
Canada–Kazakhstan
Canada–Kenya
Canada–Republic of Macedonia
Canada–Mauritania
Canada–Mozambique
Canada–Pakistan
Canada–Qatar
Canada–Rwanda
Canada–Tunisia

All lists from Wiki (reformatted from Canadian government site https://www.international.gc.ca/trade-commerce/trade-agreements-accords-commerciaux/agr-acc/index.aspx?lang=eng

Chrétien & Martin weren't ethical PMs, so that checks out.

but I meant the China FIPA. I didn't know FIPA could refer to other deals.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on October 22, 2019, 08:41:16 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 22, 2019, 08:25:21 AM
No, I looked it up once I posted. I'm not sure how one can make a bigger deal than necessary of being woke.

In this context, it means 'made a big deal of it, when he clearly wasn't'. 

In short, the criticism is that he's a hypocrite. He made a big display of being 'woke' when it was politically useful to do so; but for fun, he liked to don blackface, which isn't a particularly 'woke' practice. 

Got it :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2019, 09:12:22 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on October 22, 2019, 06:48:50 AM
Well, how was The Who? Do you have a set list?

It was a great show.  They had a full orchestra on stage. First third was Tommy then new material from their December release which also has orchestra backing interspersed with greatest hits finished off with Baba O'Riley.

Highlights, Townsend still has it - some amazing interludes featuring him doing his thing.  He also has a great sense of humour, lots of self deprecating humour about their age.

Did Eddie Vedder come on stage for a song? According to setlist fm he did for The Punk and the Godfather
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: saskganesh on October 22, 2019, 06:55:23 AM
Harper also had the In and Out scandal and the false costing of the F-35. There's more if you look.

In and out was an accounting scandal.  The party never hid anything, they tried an accounting trick that Elections Canada ultimately ruled they couldn't use.  Yawn.

The F 35 has been a disaster for many countries.  The Liberals have done no better in trying to procure a replacement (and they're still considering, and likely will buy, the F 35).

The China FIPA - I don't even understand the concern there.  As pointed out we have FIPA agreements with numerous countries.

As I said - the Conservatives aren't perfect, but they lack the large scale corruption that is persistent in Liberal governments.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2019, 11:58:52 AM
Harper also had the In and Out scandal and the false costing of the F-35. There's more if you look.

In and out was an accounting scandal.  The party never hid anything, they tried an accounting trick that Elections Canada ultimately ruled they couldn't use.  Yawn.

The F 35 has been a disaster for many countries.  The Liberals have done

The F 35 has been a disaster for many countries.  The Liberals have done no better in trying to procure a replacement (and they're still considering, and likely will buy, the F 35).

The China FIPA - I don't even understand the concern there.  As pointed out we have FIPA agreements with numerous countries.

As I said - the Conservatives aren't perfect, but they lack the large scale corruption that is persistent in Liberal governments.

How about those ethics around Jason Kenney's voter fraud to "win" the UCP leadership? 

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on October 22, 2019, 12:24:53 PM
How about those ethics around Jason Kenney's voter fraud to "win" the UCP leadership?

As I understand it, there are two separate allegations.

First, is that he arranged for one leadership candidate to be a "kamikaze" candidate to go against Brian Jean (I forget the guys name).  I think that's ingenious.

Second, is that they committed fraud during the vote itself.  If true that's very serious.  I await the investigation.

Grey Fox

Negotiated in secret, ratified in secret. Forces Canada to exploit the Tar sands. All advantages of the treaty are either Chinese or Private enterprises owned by Chinese interest.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 22, 2019, 12:54:30 PM

Negotiated in secret, ratified in secret. Forces Canada to exploit the Tar sands. All advantages of the treaty are either Chinese or Private enterprises owned by Chinese interest.

All treaties are negotiated in secret.  You can't negotiate in public.

And where do you get your talking points from?  I've literally never heard of this being an issue before.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on October 22, 2019, 01:23:28 AM
Saw this on Twitter. Accurate? :unsure:

It's accurate that this is how NDP supporters view themselves and the other parties, yes.  Conservatives are mean, Liberals are Conservatives who try to look like they aren't mean, Bloc is an old man yeling at a cloud, Greens are lovable sad-sack losers, and the People's Party... not sure what they were going for here.  But not likeable.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2019, 10:08:17 PM
And now Conservative 34
Liberal 33.8

Hardly definitive, but will be interesting to see that % at the final end.

Final tally is Conservatives 34.4, Liberals 33.1%.  Conservatives get more votes than Liberals.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2019, 10:17:15 PM
But the fun part of a minority is that the Libs don't have majorities on committees.  Expect some further SNC-Lavalin inquiries.  :)

As pointed out by Chantal Hebert on CBC last night, this may not be true.  The Bloc may not be interested in investigating a Quebec-based company.  It probably depends how many donations SNC gives to the Bloc.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2019, 12:55:46 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 22, 2019, 12:54:30 PM

All treaties are negotiated in secret.  You can't negotiate in public.

And where do you get your talking points from?  I've literally never heard of this being an issue before.

May mentioned it in the debate.

It is why Trudeau bought TMX, we have to build the Chinese a pipeline.