News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Definately a huge regional breakdown. With Goodale gone, the Liberals don't have anyone in Sask. or Alta. I don't think.
I think overall this will be a fairly stable gov't. For me, as someone who thinks NDP but votes Liberal it ends up pretty well, and we may see some NDP things I support, like pharmacare being brought in.
I've always felt that minority gov'ts are not a bad thing.

But yeah, as BB said, if Trudeau thought the SNC-Lavelin thing was behind him, then he's mistaken.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 21, 2019, 10:14:58 PM
So bloody discouraging. Progressives really need to learn how to do terrain work again.
Alternatively, they can try honesty, didn't work so bad for the Cons since they made gains from the last election.   Like you know, stop saying one thing in French and another in English.  Stop prentending you'll give elector the moon at no costs but to those mythical ultra-rich.  Either put on a figure on whose rich or not according to you (I dispute the fact that 47k$/year makes you riche and 200k$ makes you "ultra rich" in Canada's cities).  Propose a comprehensive reform of the tax codes, specify which loopholes for the rich you plan to eliminate (I have a few in mind... shouldn't be hard for a national party to come up with some real numbers, even though the "progressives" are allergic to that).
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on October 22, 2019, 01:23:28 AM
Saw this on Twitter. Accurate? :unsure:

Hmm, pretty much accurate.  The Bloc says in advance they will not participate in a coallition and they only present candidates in Quebec.  Not much you can do in our current political system.  In a minority government, they have some leverage for a couple of years, that's all.  As Canada's official opposition in the 90s, they could still draw attention to some national issues.  But that's long past.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Hoped for a minority, went to The Who concert and got what I hoped for.  Pretty good night  :)

saskganesh

Well, how was The Who? Do you have a set list?
humans were created in their own image

saskganesh

Harper also had the In and Out scandal and the false costing of the F-35. There's more if you look.

saskganesh

oh, Dean Del Maestro went to jail.

Grey Fox

Harper signed FIPA. Unethical thru out.

Coalitions could work better in Canada if the NDP could realise they are not going to win a plurality.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Both major parties have had problems with corruption; the Liberals, historically, have I think had it worse.

What people most disliked about Harper was his cold, authoritarian governmental style; what they liked about him was that he appeared competent and in charge. Contrast with Trudeau, who is charismatic and personable - but appears incompetent, not really in charge, and a hypocrite.

Both leaders can be lampooned by what they once wore - Harper, in a misguided attempt to appear human, wore a sweater in some publicity material, to widespread derision; Trudeau, who made a meal of how 'woke' we was - the 'blackface' thing. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on October 22, 2019, 07:57:56 AM
A meal?

You never heard the idiom "make a meal" of something?

I means 'make a big deal' out of that thing, make more of it that it deserves.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on October 22, 2019, 08:19:27 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 22, 2019, 07:57:56 AM
A meal?

You never heard the idiom "make a meal" of something?

I means 'make a big deal' out of that thing, make more of it that it deserves.

No, I looked it up once I posted. I'm not sure how one can make a bigger deal than necessary of being woke.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 22, 2019, 07:09:53 AM
Harper signed FIPA. Unethical thru out.

Coalitions could work better in Canada if the NDP could realise they are not going to win a plurality.

If signing a FIPA makes a PM unethical throughout, there were very few recent PMs with any ethics whatsoever:

QuoteFIPAs in force
The following is a list of FIPAs in force, including date of entry into force.

Canada–Argentina (29 April 1993)
Canada–Armenia (29 March 1999)
Canada–Barbados (17 January 1997)
Canada–Benin (18 January 2013)
Canada–Burkina Faso (11 October 2017)
Canada–Cameroon (16 December 2016)
Canada–China (1 October 2014)
Canada–Costa Rica (29 September 1999)
Canada–Côte d'Ivoire (14 December 2015)
Canada–Croatia (30 January 2001)
Canada–Czech Republic (22 January 2012)
Canada–Ecuador (6 June 1997)
Canada–Egypt (3 November 1997)
Canada–Guinea (27 March 2017)
Canada–Hong Kong (6 September 2016)
Canada–Hungary (21 November 1993)
Canada–Jordan (14 December 2009)
Canada–Kosovo (19 December 2018)
Canada–Kuwait (19 February 2014)
Canada–Latvia (24 November 2011)
Canada–Lebanon (19 June 1999)
Canada–Mali (8 June 2016)
Canada–Mongolia (24 February 2017)
Canada–Panama (13 February 1998)
Canada–Peru (20 June 2007)
Canada–Philippines (13 November 1996)
Canada–Poland (22 November 1990)
Canada–Romania (23 November 2011)
Canada–Russian Federation (27 June 1991)
Canada–Senegal (5 August 2016)
Canada–Serbia (27 April 2015)
Canada–Slovak Republic (14 March 2012)
Canada–Tanzania (9 December 2013)
Canada–Thailand (24 September 2008)
Canada–Trinidad & Tobago (8 June 1996)
Canada–Ukraine (24 June 1995)
Canada–Uruguay (2 June 1999)
Canada–Venezuela (28 January 1998)
FIPAs signed
The following is a list of FIPAs that have been concluded and signed, but have not yet entered into force.[7]

Canada–Moldova (June 2018)
Canada–Nigeria (May 2014)
FIPA negotiations concluded
The following is a list of FIPA negotiations concluded, and are not in force. First is the country, then the date it was concluded.[7]

Canada–Albania (November 2013)
Canada–Bahrain (February 2010)
Canada–Madagascar (August 2008)
Canada–Zambia (March 2013)
Canada–United Arab Emirates (May 2018)

It would appear that there will be no PMs with any ethics whatsoever in the future, either, no matter the election results:

QuoteOngoing FIPA negotiations
The following is a list of FIPA negotiations that have not yet concluded.

Canada–Democratic Republic of the Congo
Canada–Gabon
Canada–Georgia
Canada–Ghana
Canada–India
Canada–Kazakhstan
Canada–Kenya
Canada–Republic of Macedonia
Canada–Mauritania
Canada–Mozambique
Canada–Pakistan
Canada–Qatar
Canada–Rwanda
Canada–Tunisia

All lists from Wiki (reformatted from Canadian government site https://www.international.gc.ca/trade-commerce/trade-agreements-accords-commerciaux/agr-acc/index.aspx?lang=eng
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!