News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

That's a fair point, there was no need for Harper to leave.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josephus

Pollsters pretty much got this right though; especially the vote percentage. Liberals and Conservatives virtually tied.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Liberal vote % 33.9
Conservative vote % 33.8
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

And now Conservative 34
Liberal 33.8

Hardly definitive, but will be interesting to see that % at the final end.

Barrister

Just for the record, as someone who has long supported first past the post, when you live by FPTP you die by FPTP.

But it's a nice rhetorical point if the Conservatives wind up with more votes at the end of the night. :)

Oexmelin

So bloody discouraging. Progressives really need to learn how to do terrain work again.

At least Bernier lost. Good riddance.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

So looks to be a strong Liberal minority.  The plus is that the Libs won't be beholden to the NDP or Bloc.  Bad news is it might last a longer time.

But the fun part of a minority is that the Libs don't have majorities on committees.  Expect some further SNC-Lavalin inquiries.  :)

Oexmelin

Awesome.

But frankly I am quite convinced that the proximity of big business to government would be the very same under the conservatives. It would just be the oil business.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 21, 2019, 10:21:59 PM
Awesome.

But frankly I am quite convinced that the proximity of big business to government would be the very same under the conservatives. It would just be the oil business.

What makes you say that?  Do you have examples under Harper that brings this to mind?

I know "A pox on both their houses" is an easy response, but I honestly believe there's a serious difference between the two parties on the issue of ethics.  Liberals have SNC-Lavalin and the Sponsorship Inquiry, and the Conservatives... gave some money to Mike Duffy to go away.

Zoupa

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2019, 10:42:48 PM
but I honestly believe there's a serious difference between the two parties on the issue of ethics. 

:lol:

Barrister

Barrister

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on October 21, 2019, 10:51:26 PM
but I honestly believe there's a serious difference between the two parties on the issue of ethics. 

Make your argument, and I'll consider it. :)

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on October 21, 2019, 10:51:26 PM

there was this robocall thing.  However, you can't deny the Conservatives were an honest government, and good for Quebec.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.