News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Xi is already doing some great stuff. No need to wait for him.

Not sure about India.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 31, 2019, 03:08:16 PM
As discussed not long ago in this thread, if they have a plan they are not telling anyone what it is.
Tbh, even if they had a plan, it would not be wise, politically speaking, to reveal it too soon, while the parliament session is still fully active.

Release shortly before recess, when everyone is going home, when most political journalists dream of their summer vacation, not many people left to comment, dissect, demolish the plan.

The best strategy is to release it at the chosen timing.  But of course, being against cap&trade, against a carbon tax, against the end of subsidies to the oil&gaz industry, against any constraints to industries, well, mostly anything that would have an impact on GHG emissions, I fail to divine their brilliant strategy.

I fail to see how they will find something meani
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

I believe I'm in a fairly safe Conservative seat in this election.  And be assured I really want Trudeau out of power.

But I am contemplating the idea of a protest vote for the Greens (although I'd be appalled if May ever got ahold of power).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

I am in a contested riding and still considering voting Green to indicate my great displeasure with the three main parties.

Oexmelin

Anecdotally, I know of at least 6 or 7 people who will vote green in the upcoming election, including my parents (and these people all represented voters of different parties).
Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

From the report on indigenous women:

QuoteCar ces appels « découlent des lois nationales et internationales », et le Canada « a l'obligation légale de [les] mettre pleinement en application » et veiller à ce que les femmes, filles et personnes 2ELGBTQQIA autochtones « vivent dans la dignité », écrit-on.
and just there... they lost me.  Too many letters, the significane is lost.

(basically, it says Canada has obligations, from national and international law to fully implement et make sure that women of all letters of the alphabet  :rolleyes: can live in dignity.  )

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

I'm a ABC voter so I'll vote for the Liberals.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 03, 2019, 10:24:47 AM

me too. I live in Oshawa, so it will be interesting to see which way the unemployed GM workers will go. My guess is they'll go populist and vote for Conservatives
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

I'd vote Bloc, but they've chosen to nominate a moron at their head, so I'll pass.

I'll vote Conservative again, I guess.  I do like our MP.  Scheer does not inspire confidance, and I think he just delivered victory to Trudeau last week by refusing to vote for a motion on abortion.  It was a trap, and he fell for it.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on June 03, 2019, 02:15:39 PM
I'd vote Bloc, but they've chosen to nominate a moron at their head, so I'll pass.

I'll vote Conservative again, I guess.  I do like our MP.  Scheer does not inspire confidance, and I think he just delivered victory to Trudeau last week by refusing to vote for a motion on abortion.  It was a trap, and he fell for it.

You think so? I really think abortion is a nonissue. Who are the pro-abortionists gonna vote for? Trudeau?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

saskganesh

Ford is taking some hits in Ontario. He picked a fight with parents of autistic kids, he got booed at the special Olympics, he got booed at the Momentum tech conference, he's cutting education ,he backed down on municipal funding cuts for this year, he's breaking a  big contract with the international beer powers because, beer!, he's announced another go-nowhere subway plan ... a lot of losses, real and perceived and imminent.

RoFo's less than wonderful year. The bad news is Ontario still has three more years of this circus. The good news is that continuing Conservative meanness, cuts and incompetence provincially will lessen the desire of swing voters to get rid of Trudeau.

Ontario's real new slogan:  We will suffer so you don't have to.

humans were created in their own image

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on June 04, 2019, 10:33:13 AM
You think so? I really think abortion is a nonissue. Who are the pro-abortionists gonna vote for? Trudeau?

The concern of course is that they don't vote at all.  That they don't donate, or volunteer.

mongers

OTT - Does Canada really have more lakes than the rest of the world combined?  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Quote from: mongers on June 04, 2019, 07:32:18 PM
OTT - Does Canada really have more lakes than the rest of the world combined?  :hmm:

I thought the country with most lakes is Finland?  :unsure:

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on June 04, 2019, 07:32:18 PM

We apparently have over two million lakes.