News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Green Party announces a new policy - until such time as Canada stops using fossil fuels, Canada should only use Canadian fossil fuels.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-oil-green-party-leader-elizabeth-may-1.5151214

That perked up my ears.  Any acknowledgement that we will have to use fossil fuels for awhile by the Greens is helpful.

But then alas... the only realistic way for Eastern Canada to use Western Canadian fossil fuels is building a pipeline ala Energy East.  Which the Greens still oppose.  Elizabeth May thinks we can ship it all by rail.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Start accepting our electricity then maybe we can accept a pipeline.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 27, 2019, 12:51:46 PM
Start accepting our electricity then maybe we can accept a pipeline.

Who is turning down your electricity?

Realistically it would make more sense for us to buy hydro from BC, or maybe Manitoba, than all the way from Quebec, but I'm not aware of anyone stopping inter-provincial electricity exports.

You probably have a much better market just to the south though I would think.

Grey Fox

Ontario is.

Yeah, NYC wants to power every city building with Quebec's hydro by 2025(iirc).

HVC

Ontario Is turning down your electricity?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

I was wrong.

How is Alberta electricity generated? Especially what is generated for the oil industry?

saskganesh

I think a big part of that is that the Grid doesn't really work on east-west national transmission. It's more regional, and we are integrated with nearby cross border cities and states,
humans were created in their own image

Barrister

Quote from: saskganesh on May 27, 2019, 06:14:14 PM
I think a big part of that is that the Grid doesn't really work on east-west national transmission. It's more regional, and we are integrated with nearby cross border cities and states,

Curiously enough, having a national cross-country corridor for oil, gas, electricity and telecommunications is one of Andrew Scheer's big policy pitches.

It makes sense.  I would much prefer to shut down Alberta's coal-fired energy plants in favour of importing clean hydro from BC, Manitoba, Quebec, wherever.

Zoupa

The fact that we're talking about building pipelines in 2019 is truly ridiculous. Our species deserves everything that's coming.

Grey Fox

https://ipolitics.ca/2019/05/27/legault-sets-out-plan-electrify-quebec-cutting-oil-consumption-by-40/

QuoteLegault noted that Hydro-Québec has a contract to sell more of its surplus power to Massachusetts and is hopeful the Quebec utility will soon sign a new export contract with New York City.

"I have a deal that Ontario will not be able to refuse," he told his supporters, touting Hydro-Québec's offer to sell surplus electricity from Quebec's hydro dams, a plan that would cost less than Ontario's proposed $20-billion upgrade of its aging nuclear reactors.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford has turned down that offer, but Legault said it is still on the table.

I wasn't that wrong in the end.

viper37

Montreal ranked 6th best city in the world.  Toronto?  #23!  :yucky:  :lol: https://www.mtlblog.com/news/canada/montreal-ranked-6-best-city-in-the-world-toronto-ranked-23
silly ranking, but amusing :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on May 28, 2019, 10:16:32 AM
Montreal ranked 6th best city in the world.  Toronto?  #23!  :yucky:  :lol: https://www.mtlblog.com/news/canada/montreal-ranked-6-best-city-in-the-world-toronto-ranked-23

Vienna is not ranked #1, so this poll is invalid. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on May 28, 2019, 10:16:32 AM

I love the next article's title:

QuoteMontreal Ranked #2 Best Place In Canada For LGBTQ Pride, Toronto Somehow Ranked #1

:lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius