News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

better parade?

Also, and alternative conclusion: Toronto discriminates against straights polls find! :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Off topic. This is for BB.

I think this interests you: a tour that takes you to the site of the Erebus

Port Credit, ON. May 29, 2019: Arctic expedition company Adventure Canada, in an exclusive partnership this summer with Parks Canada, is striking out once more to the legendary wreckage site of the Franklin Expedition's HMS Erebus as part of their iconic Into the Northwest Passage and Out of the Northwest Passage 2019 expeditions.

Since the last confirmed sightings of the 1845 Franklin Expedition's two ships more than 170 years ago, HMS Erebus and HMS Terror have captured the imaginations of aspiring explorers everywhere. The complete picture of what happened to the ships and the 129 crew members is still being untangled through Inuit testimony and research on both wrecks, but much of it remains a mystery to this day. Located in the Wrecks of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror National Historic Site in Nunavut, the remains of the long-lost HMS Erebus lie approximately 100 kilometres south of the final resting spot of HMS Terror. The events of the Franklin Expedition were the inspiration behind the popular AMC series The Terror.

Adventure Canada secured annual partnerships with Parks Canada in 2017 and 2018 to bring guests to the Erebus site for the first time ever, but true to history, making it to the maritime archaeological site has been challenging for the past two seasons due to extreme weather and ice barriers.

"We're gearing ourselves up for what will surely be an exciting — and dramatic — quest for the Ocean Endeavour to finally get to this site," says Cedar Swan, Adventure Canada CEO. "Our guests may be some of the first members of the general public to see the Erebus wreck, through an underwater remote-controlled camera - weather-permitting - as well as the location where HMS Erebus went down, and to meet several of the Gjoa Haven Guardians who are charged with monitoring the wrecksites  — which will be an absolutely remarkable Arctic experience."

"The Franklin Interim Advisory Committee is proud to partner with Adventure Canada to provide its passengers with the first visitor experience at the wreck site of HMS Erebus," said Franklin Interim Advisory Committee chair, Fred Pedersen. "This partnership marks an exciting beginning for tourism opportunities at the Wrecks of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror National Historic Site and its neighbouring communities, which will allow Inuit to benefit and share their homeland and knowledge of the Franklin Expedition with the world."

Splash image Photo by Michelle Valberg

Following the disappearance of the Franklin Expedition, the first unsuccessful search party went looking for the missing ships and crew in 1848; through the hundred-plus years that followed, international fascination around the lost wrecks ratcheted up to "nothing less than a crusade," according to some scholars. Approximately 40 expeditions had gone in search of the lost Franklin ships across the years before a Parks Canada-led team located HMS Erebus in 2014. Two years later, HMS Terror was located.

"It has been a challenging two years to get to this point, and we are eagerly anticipating taking our guests to see this significant Arctic archeological site," Swan says. "It's such a privilege for Adventure Canada to work with the Franklin Interim Advisory Committee and Parks Canada and be the first to facilitate public access to the site, and to set a standard in sustainable visitations to this and other archaeological discoveries to come in the rapidly changing Arctic."

Adventure Canada will make its first attempt to visit the Erebus site on Into the Northwest Passage, August 17 to September 2, 2019, and its second upon its journey Out of the Northwest Passage, September 2-18, 2019.

For more information on Adventure Canada, please visit: www.adventurecanada.com.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

:mmm:

Too rich for my blood, but that would be an unreal experience!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Watch out for the magical ice monsters or whatever that was in that TV series.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2019, 01:50:49 PM

Was a polar bear no?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on May 29, 2019, 02:05:44 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2019, 01:50:49 PM

Was a polar bear no?
an extremely large and intelligent polar bear, yeah.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Meeting between Mike Pence and Justin Trudeau today.  Justin said he would talk abortion with Mike Pence.

I'm sure Mike Pence will change his mind now.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

PRC

Alberta's Jason Kenney cancels his celebration event for repealing the NDP's Alberta Carbon Tax so he can briefed on the massive forest fire situation that has the province blanketed in smoke.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/05/30/news/jason-kenney-cancels-celebration-carbon-tax-repeal-get-briefed-wildfires

Jason Kenney cancels celebration of carbon tax repeal to get briefed on wildfires
By Mike De Souza in News, Energy, Politics | May 30th 2019

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney cancelled a celebratory event at an Esso gas station on Thursday to mark the repeal of the province's carbon tax, due to wildfires that have been raging for days in the Western Canadian province.

"As of today, the NDP carbon tax in Alberta is gone," Kenney announced on Twitter Thursday morning.

About 5,000 people were evacuated more than a week earlier from the city of High Level and surrounding areas, in the northern part of the province, because of wildfires. The emergency has plunged large parts of Western Canada, including British Columbia, under a toxic smoky haze.

A price on carbon is designed to dissuade the burning of fossil fuels that contribute to the global climate emergency, which is expected to increase the frequency and severity of wildfires in the coming years and decades.

Kenney has made the cancellation of the carbon tax and other policies meant to address climate change a top priority of his government, which was elected with a strong majority in the oil-rich province's April 16 general election.

Legislation to cancel the carbon tax was the first law Kenney's government introduced in the Alberta legislature after the election. He had scheduled the celebratory event at the gas station in Edmonton later in the day, but then decided that it might not be a good idea.

*This event has been cancelled so the premier can receive an internal, real-time briefing on the status of Alberta's wildfires," the government said in a statement.

In its most recent update, Alberta says there are now 29 wildfires burning in the province, including 10 that are out of control. Environment Canada issued a "moderate risk" air quality warning for Edmonton and other communities.

The area covered by wildfires is now larger than 1,300 square kilometres, but the province has started to make emergency funds available for food and other expenses to homeowners who have been forced to flee their homes.

In a May 26 video posted to Twitter, Kenney said leaders near High Level were "optimistic" about the wildfires. "Everyone is working together extremely well," he said, and thanked firefighters for their work. He also promised financial support to those forced to evacuate due to the fires.

"We're hoping and praying for the best tonight," he said.

PRC

And Jason Kenney's press secretary's, now deleted, tweet about repealing the carbon tax.  This on a day when there are air quality warnings from all the forest fire smoke and over 7,000 residents have already been evacuated.

Valmy

I remember when carbon taxes were the conservative option instead of big subsidies and regulations. Ah well. It would be nice to know what the conservative solution to climate change is.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 31, 2019, 02:03:47 PM
I remember when carbon taxes were the conservative option instead of big subsidies and regulations.

Indeed <_<

crazy canuck

I remember when carbon taxes were the conservative option instead of big subsidies and regulations. Ah well. It would be nice to know what the conservative solution to climate change is.

As discussed not long ago in this thread, if they have a plan they are not telling anyone what it is.  They are all about repealing carbon taxes and creating resource corridors, whatever that is.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 31, 2019, 03:08:16 PM

As discussed not long ago in this thread, if they have a plan they are not telling anyone what it is.  They are all about repealing carbon taxes and creating resource corridors, whatever that is.

Federally they say they will announce a climate platform before Parliament breaks for the summer.

Zoupa

We're all waiting with baited breath at the wonderful innovative solutions about to be proposed.

Monoriu

Quote from: Zoupa on May 31, 2019, 05:38:58 PM
We're all waiting with baited breath at the wonderful innovative solutions about to be proposed.

Probably wait for Xi and Modi.