News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Bernier comes out in favour of freezing equalization payments.

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/02/02/bernier-calls-for-a-freeze-on-equalization-payments/

This, along with supply-management, are both politically inviolable institutions in Canada.  I very much appreciate the sentiment :wub:, but I wonder if it's a promise amde to be broken (like Trudeau's electoral reform).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

You going to reduce my federal income tax by 50% too because the Feds are not paying for the services anymore?!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 02, 2017, 11:56:47 AM
You going to reduce my federal income tax by 50% too because the Feds are not paying for the services anymore?!

Lolwut?

Grey Fox

In Quebec, things that are handled by the Federal government in other provinces are handled by the province. The money for those things is in the equalization payments.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 02, 2017, 12:26:40 PM
In Quebec, things that are handled by the Federal government in other provinces are handled by the province. The money for those things is in the equalization payments.

I believe you're wrong.  Equalization payments go to provinces to pay for the stuff that all provinces do.

Now Quebec has negotiated several exceptions, where they put on programs that in other places are run by the provinces, but those payments were negotiated separately and would not be counted as equalization payments.

Besides, Bernier is proposing a freeze (no new money), and not a complete ban on equalization.

viper37

If the Feds want to spend less on equalization, then they have to tax less.  Right now, it's a return to the old liberal scheme of starving the provinces.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on February 02, 2017, 02:06:42 PM
If the Feds want to spend less on equalization, then they have to tax less.  Right now, it's a return to the old liberal scheme of starving the provinces.

Again, not spend less - just freeze at current amount (then try to come up with a new system with fewer disincentives).

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on February 02, 2017, 12:35:10 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 02, 2017, 12:26:40 PM

I believe you're wrong.  Equalization payments go to provinces to pay for the stuff that all provinces do.

Now Quebec has negotiated several exceptions, where they put on programs that in other places are run by the provinces, but those payments were negotiated separately and would not be counted as equalization payments.

Besides, Bernier is proposing a freeze (no new money), and not a complete ban on equalization.

Yes but that's where the federal puts they money to pay Quebec.

If you freeze it, you reduce it year after year.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on February 02, 2017, 12:17:49 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 02, 2017, 11:56:47 AM

Lolwut?

Sometimes I picture you talking like that in the courtroom. :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

"Lolwut"
"excuse me barrister?"
"Sorry your honor, i meant objection."
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 02, 2017, 10:50:34 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 02, 2017, 10:32:17 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 02, 2017, 09:18:15 AM
We can't have PR, pure of mixed, when our parties are so adverse to coalitions. Going into elections every year like we're fucking Belgium is not something any of us should be looking for.

I am not sure why you have come to that conclusion.  We have had minority governments in the recent past without the threat of constant elections.

:hmm:

Elections in 2004, 2006 & 2008.

If memory serves the Conservatives called the elections in 2006 and 2008.  They were not caused by the opposition bringing down the government.  The Martin minority government was brought down by scandal, not a Canadian aversion to minority rule.

Camerus

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2017, 10:39:22 PM
Quote from: Camerus on February 01, 2017, 08:41:53 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2017, 08:23:46 PM
Quote from: Camerus on February 01, 2017, 08:16:59 PM
Good. Our current system, the product of centuries of democratic evolution, already works quite well.

Ghost Burke applauds this sentiment.

Beeb isn't the only Edmontonian Burkean around here.  :P

You're in Edmonton dude?  We should meet up!  PM me!

Sure. Check your PMs in a minute.  :)

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 02, 2017, 08:58:08 PM
We can't have PR, pure of mixed, when our parties are so adverse to coalitions. Going into elections every year like we're fucking Belgium is not something any of us should be looking for.

I am not sure why you have come to that conclusion.  We have had minority governments in the recent past without the threat of constant elections.

If memory serves the Conservatives called the elections in 2006 and 2008.  They were not caused by the opposition bringing down the government.  The Martin minority government was brought down by scandal, not a Canadian aversion to minority rule.

I did not say Canadians were averse to minority rules. I said going into election regularly sucks and that the parties can't do coalitions. For some reason.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 02, 2017, 02:10:18 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 02, 2017, 02:06:42 PM

Again, not spend less - just freeze at current amount (then try to come up with a new system with fewer disincentives).
Costs increases over years (more population + inflation).  If you freeze spending on anything, it is spending less in real $.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 03, 2017, 08:59:22 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 02, 2017, 08:58:08 PM

I did not say Canadians were averse to minority rules. I said going into election regularly sucks and that the parties can't do coalitions. For some reason.

Ok, I can agree with that but I think that has more to do with the way our elections are currently structured.  In a first past the post system there is little reason to create coalitions.  In a PR system the logic changes significantly.