News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: dps on September 19, 2016, 06:18:49 PM
People of Portuguese descent are a majority in Canada? 
No, but English speakers are and there's only one French province.  As history has proven, it's not too difficult to make changes that specifically exclude Quebec.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

French text for the ruling

English text for the original case in 2006

Sikh refuses to wear protective hats and refuse the accomodation proposed, that they stay in their trucks at all times.
They lost the first battle.  But they will go to the Supreme Court, and if they lose, the Liberal government will amend the laws to exclude them from the security measures mandated at the port.  And then, if an accident happens, the employer will be forced to pay for it.

Don't you love this multiculturalism bullshit? :)  Anybody can declare himself a sincere religious person in court and claim just about anything for in the name of his religion.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

so you're saying there's a new market for over sized hard hats with some sort of shoulder braces :hmm:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on September 22, 2016, 08:19:02 AM
so you're saying there's a new market for over sized hard hats with some sort of shoulder braces :hmm:
they don't want to wear hats.  They say it's incompatible with their Faith, despite the pictures of the Defense Minister with his custom hat.  They're just saying they won't be excomunicated for wearing something on top of the turban, but it's still against their Faith.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on September 22, 2016, 08:57:51 AM
They say it's incompatible with their Faith, despite the pictures of the Defense Minister with his custom hat.

Is the Defense Minister the spirtual leader of their faith?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 22, 2016, 08:04:18 AM
Don't you love this multiculturalism bullshit? :)  Anybody can declare himself a sincere religious person in court and claim just about anything for in the name of his religion.

Don't you just love this strawman bullshit?

Sikhs have been wearing turbans because of their religion for hundreds of years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on September 22, 2016, 09:02:05 AM
They say it's incompatible with their Faith, despite the pictures of the Defense Minister with his custom hat.

No.  Just another Sikh, willing to make a small compromise for some of his work.  But since he insist on wearing his Faith symbol at all times, I am unsure as to what extent his religion will guide his actions as Defense Minister.  If he can't compromise on a symbol, why would he compromise on something else, more important?

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2016, 09:45:08 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 22, 2016, 08:04:18 AM

Don't you just love this strawman bullshit?

Sikhs have been wearing turbans because of their religion for hundreds of years.
how is it a strawman?  The only thing required is that the Court finds you hold a sincere belief.  That's very thin ground to claim special status, generally speaking.

So, according to you, local laws should be superceded by rules of Faith?

Barrister

I really don't get where you're going with Harjit Sajjan here viper.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

How do we know he is not just a tool of international Punjabism?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on September 22, 2016, 10:25:16 AM

No.  Just another Sikh, willing to make a small compromise for some of his work.  But since he insist on wearing his Faith symbol at all times, I am unsure as to what extent his religion will guide his actions as Defense Minister.  If he can't compromise on a symbol, why would he compromise on something else, more important?

This should add fuel to your fire of righteous indignation:

As a soldier, the Defense Minister invented a new kind of gas mask, that works with bearded men. The reason: he did not want to shave off his beard, for religious reasons. Yet soldiers may have to don gas masks. So rather than knuckling under to a legitimate job requirement and shave, the scoundrel found a workable solution.   :osama:

:D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2016, 10:27:18 AM
I really don't get where you're going with Harjit Sajjan here viper.
Use Google Translate for the article.

The Sikh refused to wear a protective hat, saying it's incompatible with their Faith.  The Port of Montreal provided pictures of another Sikh wearing a protective helmet.  It happens to be Harjit Sajjan.  Could have been someone else, somewhere else, but the defense used it to claim that it wasn't obviously incompatible with the Sikh Faith to wear protective head gear.

The court has recognized that it is a violation of their religion, it is discrimination, but it is superceded by the necessity of protecting themselves and insuring work safety rules (provincial rules) are respected.

Once it gets to the Supreme Court, it will most likely decide that a Federal law (the Charter) supercedes any provincial legislation and as such, excempt the Sikh from wearing protective headgear, while still maintaining the employers responsibility in case of an accident (since it's a provincial law).

Now, if the Court decides that the Quebec's Superior court was indeed right, whose to say the Trudeau government will not make some new rule to circumvent this judgement as a way to reinforce Canadian multiculturalism?

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 22, 2016, 10:33:09 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 22, 2016, 10:25:16 AM

This should add fuel to your fire of righteous indignation:

As a soldier, the Defense Minister invented a new kind of gas mask, that works with bearded men. The reason: he did not want to shave off his beard, for religious reasons. Yet soldiers may have to don gas masks. So rather than knuckling under to a legitimate job requirement and shave, the scoundrel found a workable solution.   :osama:

:D
As a soldier, I prefer that everyone wears the standard uniform provided by the Canadian armed forces.  If he wants to pay for his own gear, I'm willing to accept it, although I still don't like it.  It's an army, not a militia.  A Quebec soldier would not be allowed to wear a fleur de lys on his uniform, after all.

As a Defence Minister, I really don't like that he wears religious symbol, unwilling to compromise on anything.
He is a politician, and just like a judge, he represents any Canadians, from any religious (or non religious background).  The day his Faith contradicts with his duties as Defence Minister, I know he will side with his Faith, since he's unable to make the smallest compromise now.  Just like Judge Robin Camp was a very bad judge because he put his Faith before his duty to represent all Canadians and judge them all fairly.  Just like that US clerk who refused to do her job and marry gay couples because it was against her Faith.  I just don't want that kind of bullshit for the country I live in.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on September 22, 2016, 10:33:35 AM
The Sikh refused to wear a protective hat, saying it's incompatible with their Faith.  The Port of Montreal provided pictures of another Sikh wearing a protective helmet.  It happens to be Harjit Sajjan.  Could have been someone else, somewhere else, but the defense used it to claim that it wasn't obviously incompatible with the Sikh Faith to wear protective head gear.

This was what my comment was about. If I were one of the plaintiffs, I'd be like that's great that Harjit Sajjan doesn't think that's incompatible with his faith but it is still incompatible with ours. What one Sikh is willing to do doesn't necessarily apply to all Sikhs.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

The Liberals are still fighting the good fights, trying to end this recession by spending, spending and spending.  One day it will work!

200 000$ for moving two people, 1 million$ for 40 (French text)

Great government we have there :)  CC must be very proud of his choice, they will save us! One day! :)