News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

The Viper Method sounds cool. Like a fatal martial arts move.

I can understand Vipers sensitivity to things like this, especially where it reinforces his preconceived notions, even if I don't agree with him. And I think he plays it up a bit for the forums audience. The religious thing I get less and actually think it's harmful, and that's coming from an atheist.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on September 26, 2016, 09:30:24 AM

I can understand Vipers sensitivity to things like this, especially where it reinforces his preconceived notions, even if I don't agree with him. And I think he plays it up a bit for the forums audience. The religious thing I get less and actually think it's harmful, and that's coming from an atheist.

If I had the same sort of sensitivities Viper had, I'd have died of indignation years ago - I'm both Jewish and a lawyer.   ;)  Half of the Internet is, it sometimes appears, devoted to idiots defaming people like me, not just the occasional hard-to-search-out kook.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

I don't have the same burden as you, but I hear a lot of construction jokes... I make most of them myself, but still :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Grey Fox

I make lots of anglo jokes. You guys can't swear in French for shit.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2016, 09:11:51 AM
Yes but your definition of what it means to not have religion included in public spaces is unusually strict and quite removed from any history in North America up into current day!
there's the ideal, and there's the compromise.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on September 26, 2016, 09:13:07 AM
I actually thought of you when I heard about this. I wasn't sure which side you're fall on, being angry that the PM lowered himself for the future king, or happy that the villainous Trudeau was snubbed :D
I'm really torn between both :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on September 26, 2016, 09:39:59 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2016, 09:11:51 AM
Yes but your definition of what it means to not have religion included in public spaces is unusually strict and quite removed from any history in North America up into current day!
there's the ideal, and there's the compromise.

And yet compromise is what has you upset. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 26, 2016, 09:37:30 AM

Tabernac!

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 26, 2016, 09:23:56 AM
Quote from: HVC on September 26, 2016, 09:10:10 AM
If you think that comment is bad you should read some YouTube comments. Never knew things like a cat video could illicitly such hate :lol:

Just think of what a bad opinion aliens would get of humans, reading the "comments" sections of internet sites and applying the "Viper method".  :D
did I ever called (seriously) on someone to be executed/killed based on his/her political opinions or religious beliefs? :)

Anyway, these comments sections are supposedly moderated.  Try posting something like that in an article about a Jewish Orthodox community to see how long it takes before your account is suspended :)

Malthus

Isn't that just basically "name some random Catholic thing"?  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 26, 2016, 09:33:43 AM
Quote from: HVC on September 26, 2016, 09:30:24 AM

If I had the same sort of sensitivities Viper had, I'd have died of indignation years ago - I'm both Jewish and a lawyer.   ;)  Half of the Internet is, it sometimes appears, devoted to idiots defaming people like me, not just the occasional hard-to-search-out kook.  :lol:
Montreal Gazette is the most important english language newspaper in Quebec.  It has the same status as La Presse, and they both have a moderated comments sections.  This is not Languish or Reddit.  Since a previous ruling against Le Journal de Montréal, we know that medias are liable for comments posted on their site when they don't remove it in a timely manner.  We know that on radio and TV, the CRTC will hold a license owner responsible for comments said by people calling on the air that hold inapropriate view.  A radio host was fired for not hanging up when a auditor phoned in to express anti-semetic views, and this was in the middle of the night.

We also know that Richard Henry Bain, tried to kill a seperatist Premier, Pauline Marois, after being subjected to such propaganda. He was also allowed to freely express himself on a Montreal english language radio.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2016, 09:41:12 AM
And yet compromise is what has you upset. ;)
a compromise implies that both sides make a concession.  That never almost never happens with certain religion.
Take ultra-orthodox jews.  They request special parking rights that no other citizens get, they need amendments to zoning and urban laws to extend their yard so they can go to the corner store on a sabbat day, they request that gym windows be covered because it offends them to see women training, they need kosher food in every public cafeteria, it never ends.
What is the compromise they have done?  Say, renouncing specific kosher food in exchange for a menu that always offers a no pork option?  Not enough.

And then we have the likes of Adil Charkaoui.  Suspected of terrorism, free to indoctrinate kids (many of his students left or were caught trying to leave for Syria to join ISIS) and lecturing us on islamophobia.  What compromises has he done to live here?  He is certainly free to preach against democracy (it's incompatible with Islam because a gay man could be elected head of state/government).  He can claim all he wants about women.  Yet, we cannot criticize his actions, because it is islamophobia.  This is where the Liberal multi-culturalism leads us. Religious fanatics and other integrists are treated like any other mainstream ideas.  this is what I dislike.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on September 26, 2016, 09:43:16 AM

Isn't that just basically "name some random Catholic thing"?  :P

No, there is a code to it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Drakken

HVC

That's not fair, I can barely spell in can english either :P