News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 13, 2011, 01:39:07 PM
The Star is a brutal assult on intellect and non-emotive journalism.  Politically, I always found them somewhere between Liberal and NDP country.

You might think that, but like them or not, The Star is consistently awarded the most journalism awards than any other paper.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 13, 2011, 12:40:21 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 13, 2011, 12:35:02 PM
I think we are reading different newspapers. Here they are all owned by Asper.

I don't willingly read either of Toronto's National papers.

:lmfao:

You are woefully behind the times.  Canwest declared bankruptcy and its assets were sold.  The Aspers don't own shit any longer.

To add to Buddha's problems when Asper did control Canwest, he was a huge Liberal supporter.

So even given Buddha's perception of media ownership I still have no idea how he thought the media is a "conservative mouthpiece" and I havent even mentioned the CBC yet.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on April 13, 2011, 01:39:13 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2011, 01:27:38 PM

Well, the third page is.

LOL Malthus. You probably haven't seen the Sun in years (and who can blame you--I have to read all papers for work purposes) but the Sunshine Girl has been on the second last page for years....

Gah, that dates me all right.  :D

Yeah, I haven't actually looked at the Sun in, well, probably decades.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on April 13, 2011, 01:04:53 PM
the Globe and the Star are pro Iggy.

I dont read the Star so no opinion there.  I find the Globe to be the most balanced.  Sure there are some colomnists that should simply pin their Liberal membership cards at the front of everything they write.  But those excepted, I think the Globe generally does a good job.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 13, 2011, 01:51:45 PM
Quote from: Josephus on April 13, 2011, 01:04:53 PM
the Globe and the Star are pro Iggy.

I dont read the Star so no opinion there.  I find the Globe to be the most balanced.  Sure there are some colomnists that should simply pin their Liberal membership cards at the front of everything they write.  But those excepted, I think the Globe generally does a good job.

Way I see it is that the Globe is pretty consistently economically small-c conservative, but otherwise willing to judge either major party reasonably even-handedly - that is, outside of its economic leanings, it isn't particularly partisan. Unlike the other majors.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

what I always liked about english canadian newspapers is how clueless they are about Quebec.  It seems the more popular a paper is, the more silly the articles on Quebec are.  I blame Toronto.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on April 13, 2011, 02:38:45 PM
what I always liked about english canadian newspapers is how clueless they are about Quebec.  It seems the more popular a paper is, the more silly the articles on Quebec are.  I blame Toronto.

That may be, but they are equalled by how clueless Quebecers are about english Canada. :P
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 13, 2011, 12:49:52 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 13, 2011, 12:20:24 PM
I just don't think you can say that the media is pro-Conservative when the most widespread media institution in the country hates Harper and the Conservatives unflinchingly and will stop at nothing to get him out of power.

Who's that? The Desmarais?
CBC
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Quebec:

They like hockey, make great poutine and have the hottest women in the country.

'sall you need to know.

oh, and they speak English funny.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on April 13, 2011, 02:38:45 PM

Your mistake lies in thinking anyone in Toronto cares.  :cool:

:P

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on April 13, 2011, 02:48:21 PM
oh, and they speak English funny.

Apparently, people in Quebec like being told that. Or at least, I read that in a Toronto newspaper.  ;)

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 13, 2011, 12:40:39 PM
and how am I an extremist? All I want is for the parties to stop Measuring their dicks against each other and work together (in whatever coalition or frosty alliance they can feel comfortable with) and I'd like to see someone (Harper is the target because of my perception of him when I hear /see him speak... It has nothing to do with whether he's a con... my family are all cons (2 are MLAs even it's that he reeks of smarm, it's personal not political, that's just extra ammo, that my beliefs are mostly left of his.) who reflects my values in charge. How is that extreme?
What that is is unrealistic.

The way in which you resemble MoveOn is not that you are extreme (although you'd probably murder anyone who suggested cutting arts funding with your bare hands), but rather that you think that the media is all for the other side, when really they aren't.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quebec:

They... have the hottest women in the country.
:huh:  Wrong.

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on April 13, 2011, 02:56:15 PM
Quebec:

Dude. I spent the last five days in Montreal. I'm still hard.
Civis Romanus Sum

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on April 13, 2011, 03:09:41 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 13, 2011, 02:56:15 PM
Quebec:

Dude. I spent the last five days in Montreal. I'm still hard.

The cure to that is to spend the next five days in Temiskaming.  :P

Yes, Montreal has lots of hott women, but ...