News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Tried to watch the debate.  What a terrible format.  15 or so minutes in and I am out.

Grey Fox

Why is Duceppe vs Iggy on being tough on crime? I don't care what Duceppe thinks about that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 12, 2011, 07:21:50 PM
Why is Duceppe vs Iggy on being tough on crime? I don't care what Duceppe thinks about that.
Neither does Duceppe, for that matter.  He's a one-note protest candidate.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Is he debating in French or English?

crazy canuck

Tuned back in to hear Iggy and Duceppe on immigration policy.

Who cares what those two have to say.  Duceppe just wants Quebec to have sole authority in the area and Layton's opinion doesnt matter.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2011, 07:30:55 PM
Tuned back in to hear Iggy and Duceppe on immigration policy.

Who cares what those two have to say.  Duceppe just wants Quebec to have sole authority in the area and Layton's opinion doesnt matter.
True.  Even in a coalition government, it'll still be the Liberals calling the shots and trying to win back the ethnic vote.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2011, 07:29:48 PM
Is he debating in French or English?

English, mangled English. The French debate is tomorrow.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

I thought the one v one was a bit odd in a four-man debate; but got used to it quickly enough and there were some good bits. Duceppe calling Layton out on the Bill 101 was probably the best; and Harper jumping all over Iggy's use of the word "try".

Was there a clear winner? No. And that can only further Harper's cause. Iggy had to deliver a knock out punch and though the three of them tried some soft blows they were too busy fighting amongst themselves and Harper was able to withstand anything that was thrown his way.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2011, 06:19:48 PM
Tried to watch the debate.  What a terrible format.  15 or so minutes in and I am out.

Imagine tomorrow... Duceppe is the only french speaking native.  Harper has a good french, but he totally lack any kind of rythm.  Layton is getting better though.  Oh, Ignatieff... he should have learnt the language a few years before if he ever had political ambitions.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

Quote from: viper37 on April 12, 2011, 10:23:30 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2011, 06:19:48 PM

Imagine tomorrow... Duceppe is the only french speaking native.  Harper has a good french, but he totally lack any kind of rythm.  Layton is getting better though.  Oh, Ignatieff... he should have learnt the language a few years before if he ever had political ambitions.

:huh:

Ignatieff is the more comfortable in french of the 3 anglos. By a wide margin.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on April 12, 2011, 12:35:10 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 12, 2011, 12:29:55 PM
hunh not so weird considering that all the media outlets are conservative mouthpieces.... Harper could be caught doing heinous actual crimes at this point, and the media would slough it off as a partisan attack on "real Canadians". Don't look to the media to actually condemn anything done by the Cons. and most Canadians sadly would do the same.
Are you going MoveOn crazy?

I'm not even really sure what that is. Something to do with John Kerry?

I'm glad my opinions amuse all the people who like Harper. I do try to entertain. I really just(no matter what his political stripe is) rarely ever feel like anything he says in public is genuine, all I hear is obfuscation. I don't feel he answered any questions at alll in the debate. He just sloughed them off glibly. If that's arguing, well then I guess he did win.

:p

Josephus

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 13, 2011, 12:01:16 PMIf that's arguing, well then I guess he did win.

He prefers the word "bickering"
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 13, 2011, 12:01:16 PM
hunh not so weird considering that all the media outlets are conservative mouthpieces.... Harper could be caught doing heinous actual crimes at this point, and the media would slough it off as a partisan attack on "real Canadians". Don't look to the media to actually condemn anything done by the Cons. and most Canadians sadly would do the same.

I'm glad my opinions amuse all the people who like Harper. I do try to entertain. I really just(no matter what his political stripe is) rarely ever feel like anything he says in public is genuine, all I hear is obfuscation. I don't feel he answered any questions at alll in the debate. He just sloughed them off glibly. If that's arguing, well then I guess he did win.
MoveOn is an organization of American left-wingers who tend towards extremism, which became prominent during the Bush years.  They always whine about how the media is arrayed against the Democrats and Democratic causes.

I just don't think you can say that the media is pro-Conservative when the most widespread media institution in the country hates Harper and the Conservatives unflinchingly and will stop at nothing to get him out of power.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on April 13, 2011, 12:20:24 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 13, 2011, 12:01:16 PM

MoveOn is an organization of American left-wingers who tend towards extremism, which became prominent during the Bush years.  They always whine about how the media is arrayed against the Democrats and Democratic causes.

I just don't think you can say that the media is pro-Conservative when the most widespread media institution in the country hates Harper and the Conservatives unflinchingly and will stop at nothing to get him out of power.

I think we are reading different newspapers. Here they are all owned by Asper.

I don't willingly read either of Toronto's National papers.
:p

Barrister

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 13, 2011, 12:35:02 PM
I think we are reading different newspapers. Here they are all owned by Asper.

I don't willingly read either of Toronto's National papers.

:lmfao:

You are woefully behind the times.  Canwest declared bankruptcy and its assets were sold.  The Aspers don't own shit any longer.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.