News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

At this point I am just happy they stopped the procurement shuffle and actually made a decision.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on March 29, 2022, 04:55:25 PMAllegedly, the airplanes being considered now have come down in price since they were first considered and rejected.
The Libs are taking a page from Trump's page, if they are relaying that info...
The price per unit was always planned to go down through the years.  LM just follows the plan.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

New Federal emissions targets announced.  Reduction of 45% below 2005 levels.  Another meaningless declaration that inflames Alberta's passions.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Bof.  Tempest in a teapot.  Political posturing in the house isn't something new.

crazy canuck

No doubt there always been a lot of political posturing. But this level of stupidity is noteworthy.  Especially when we know from the polling data that her riding is where the Trump supporters within the Conservative party are most commonly found.

PRC

I like how she frames Trudeau as being a dictator in the eyes of "many Canadians" and defines a dictator as a "ruler with total power of a country typically one who has obtained control by force"... but then also says it will be left up to Canadians to decide in the next federal election. 

Oexmelin

"Many people are worried about the integrity of our elections"
Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 30, 2022, 03:00:26 PM"Many people are worried about the integrity of our elections"
And they should.  Illegal financing of political parties remain a problem.  Robocalls of a few years ago.  Fake messages on social medias.  Undue lobbying by rich individuals, corporations and unions.  Weren't we also warned of potential outside interference just before the last Federal election?

Not that we need Russia's help to pick the dumbest candidate, we are quite capable of doing it perfectly ourselves. ;)

viper37

Quote from: PRC on March 30, 2022, 02:39:50 PMI like how she frames Trudeau as being a dictator in the eyes of "many Canadians" and defines a dictator as a "ruler with total power of a country typically one who has obtained control by force"... but then also says it will be left up to Canadians to decide in the next federal election. 
It's a stupid comment, but again, certainly not unique.  Accusation of being some form of a dictator in politics must be at least as old as the Roman Republic.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on March 30, 2022, 03:33:38 PM
Quote from: PRC on March 30, 2022, 02:39:50 PMI like how she frames Trudeau as being a dictator in the eyes of "many Canadians" and defines a dictator as a "ruler with total power of a country typically one who has obtained control by force"... but then also says it will be left up to Canadians to decide in the next federal election. 
It's a stupid comment, but again, certainly not unique.  Accusation of being some form of a dictator in politics must be at least as old as the Roman Republic.

At least there they were literally dictators.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2022, 11:31:48 PMAt least there they were literally dictators.

ACOUP recently had an interesting writeup on Roman dictators and how they functioned: https://acoup.blog/2022/03/18/collections-the-roman-dictatorship-how-did-it-work-did-it-work/

Interestingly, dictatorship seems to have worked out really well for the early Roman Republic:
QuoteThe first important clarification we need to make is that there are, in a sense, two Roman dictatorships. Between 501 and 202 BC, the Romans appointed roughly 70 different men as dictator for about 85 terms (some dictators served more than once) through a regular customary process. Then, between 201 and 83 BC, a period of 118 years, the Romans appoint no dictators; the office dies out. Then, from 82-79 and from 49 to 44, two dictators are appointed, decidedly not in keeping with the old customary process (but taking the old customary name of dictator) and exercising a level of power not traditionally associated with the older dictators. It is effectively a new office, wearing the name of an old office.

viper37

There was a secret trial held in Quebec.

The name of the accused is secret.
The name of the judge is secret.
The name of the Federal prosecutor is secret.
The location is secret.
There is no court file for this trial.
The verdict was kept secret.
Quebec's department of justice was not made aware of a trial.

We know it involves a confidential informant on the mafia employed by the RCMP.

The Quebec appeals court was made aware of the trial when it received an appeal of the verdict by the informant.
They called the situation highly irregular and disturbing, but offer no remedy.

The Quebec Minister of Justice has confirmed his department was not involved and he's trying to get as much information as he can from the Federal.

The Honourable David Lameti, Federal minister of justice is, so far, keeping quiet.

This is, obviously, creating quite an uproar in Quebec, among the opposition, the government and the medias.

I understand the need for secrecy to protect the informant, but it seems a little... extreme.

BB, have you ever seen something like that in your carreer?

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 31, 2022, 08:22:14 AMhttps://twitter.com/thebeaverton/status/1509184949487869959?s=21&t=roHXfionWj7JowMvkRnWNg

Dictator to be defeated in election says Conservatives.  The Beaverton

Chrétien maintained himself in power for 12 years without being popular anywhere but in Ontario.

Once a government has a majority, which the CLP has with the support of the NDP, a Prime Minister's Office can do pretty much anything he wants, within the law, and even a little beyond when they manage their cards carefully.  There is no concept of check & balance in our parliamentary system, unlike the US.  Not that it works like a charm in the US, but still, the intent was there at the beginning, at least.