News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 25, 2022, 10:13:30 AMOur provincial government is quickly losing patience with municipalities who are not playing ball with the provinces plans to increase supply of housing.  Yesterday an umbrella organization that represents the municipalities went so far as to issue a "report" that supply will not affect prices.  The quotation marks is because it is less than 10 pages - not a lot of analysis, really just a lot of declarative statements. 

The problem, which the report does not address, is that it was also recently reported that BC's immigration rate from all sources (international and interprovincial) is at a 30 year high with no expectation that rate will decrease.

Something has to give, and my guess is the province is going to step in and start taking some control over land use decisions.

This article, at least, claims that housing has kept pace in ontario and BC. It popped up in my news feed so can't vouch for the source. Reminded me of this thread and thought I'd share it.

https://betterdwelling.com/canadas-real-estate-supply-shortage-is-being-declared-a-myth-in-pricey-markets/
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on March 26, 2022, 04:38:29 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 25, 2022, 10:13:30 AMOur provincial government is quickly losing patience with municipalities who are not playing ball with the provinces plans to increase supply of housing.  Yesterday an umbrella organization that represents the municipalities went so far as to issue a "report" that supply will not affect prices.  The quotation marks is because it is less than 10 pages - not a lot of analysis, really just a lot of declarative statements. 

The problem, which the report does not address, is that it was also recently reported that BC's immigration rate from all sources (international and interprovincial) is at a 30 year high with no expectation that rate will decrease.

Something has to give, and my guess is the province is going to step in and start taking some control over land use decisions.

This article, at least, claims that housing has kept pace in ontario and BC. It popped up in my news feed so can't vouch for the source. Reminded me of this thread and thought I'd share it.

https://betterdwelling.com/canadas-real-estate-supply-shortage-is-being-declared-a-myth-in-pricey-markets/

Yes that is the report I was referring to.  It will be interesting to see what happens next politically.  It seems there is a fundamental conflict between local politicians who worry about nimbi and provincial politicians who worry about housing and housing prices.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Well he is correct, but not in the way he intends. 

The reality of what is coming because of half assed green energy policies.

Barrister

Liberals select F-35 as Canada's next fighter aircraft:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/f-35-negotiations-1.6399978

Trudeau of course scrapped plans to purchase the F-35 when he came to power in 2015, so this is definitely a climb-down for him.  But given how the war in Ukraine has reminded everyone that military procurement is more than just a political football will make it easier for him to do so.

Jacob

Glad we're moving forward with procurement. And yeah, a bit of a climb-down.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 28, 2022, 01:27:11 PMWell he is correct, but not in the way he intends. 

The reality of what is coming because of half assed green energy policies.
Well, if environment was really that important to people, they wouldn't consistently vote for the Liberal Party.
They have never reduced the GHG emissions ever since signing Kyoto.  Yet people keep voting for them because they promise they will do it this time.

Oh, and the NP is no better.  They had their chance when officializing their non aggression pact.  They preferred the centralist approach and invest provincial fields of spending instead of negotiating for something that would have had impact on our GHG emissions.  I guess environment is not as important for leftist politicians as they claim during their electoral campaign. :)

So far, only one party has successfully reduced our emissions without making a fuss about it... ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

PRC

There are C-F18's flying over YYC this afternoon, with no apparent reason for it, so of course the mind conjures images of Red Dawn.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 28, 2022, 03:16:21 PMLiberals select F-35 as Canada's next fighter aircraft:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/f-35-negotiations-1.6399978

Trudeau of course scrapped plans to purchase the F-35 when he came to power in 2015, so this is definitely a climb-down for him.  But given how the war in Ukraine has reminded everyone that military procurement is more than just a political football will make it easier for him to do so.
It's the same thing that happened with the helicopter replacements.  We ended up paying much more for the new helos.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on March 28, 2022, 03:31:33 PMGlad we're moving forward with procurement. And yeah, a bit of a climb-down.
Stealth is nice.  Electronics is nice.  By I'm concerned about the low payload to maintain stealth.  Well, if we use some as stealth reconnaissance fighters to direct fire from other aircrafts further behind, might be working.

The US now uses F-15EX in combination with the F-35.  The F-15EX has a huge payload compared to the F-35, so the F-35 is painting the targets for the F-15EX before the enemy can detect or react to them.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on March 28, 2022, 04:24:34 PMStealth is nice.  Electronics is nice.  By I'm concerned about the low payload to maintain stealth.  Well, if we use some as stealth reconnaissance fighters to direct fire from other aircrafts further behind, might be working.

The US now uses F-15EX in combination with the F-35.  The F-15EX has a huge payload compared to the F-35, so the F-35 is painting the targets for the F-15EX before the enemy can detect or react to them.

But we're seeing in Ukraine why stealth is necessary.

Even with a huge superiority in the number of planes Russia is very limited in the number of air sorties it can fly.  It's planes need to fly very low to avoid Ukrainian SAMs - but that makes them vulnerable to man-portable Stingers.  So that leaves the Russians mostly flying low-level night missions - very dangerous.

viper37

Quote from: PRC on March 28, 2022, 04:18:12 PMThere are C-F18's flying over YYC this afternoon, with no apparent reason for it, so of course the mind conjures images of Red Dawn.
No F-18 in Red Dawn.  The 2012 version has an F-16 however. ;)

Only the US Navy & Marines uses the F-18, and they're based on carriers, so it's doubtful it would be seen deep inland, in Colorado.

The 2012 movie was a mistake best forgotten.  They should have kept the Russians as the enemy, maybe Trump would never have been elected then. ;) :P

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 28, 2022, 04:32:05 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 28, 2022, 04:24:34 PMStealth is nice.  Electronics is nice.  By I'm concerned about the low payload to maintain stealth.  Well, if we use some as stealth reconnaissance fighters to direct fire from other aircrafts further behind, might be working.

But we're seeing in Ukraine why stealth is necessary.

Even with a huge superiority in the number of planes Russia is very limited in the number of air sorties it can fly.  It's planes need to fly very low to avoid Ukrainian SAMs - but that makes them vulnerable to man-portable Stingers.  So that leaves the Russians mostly flying low-level night missions - very dangerous.
True, but there are other problems with the Russian aircraft fleet, most of its planes are about as recent as our CF-18.  The newest ones are few in numbers.  They have a lot of Mig-29 and SU-27 that first flew in the late 70s.  Money was invested for newer and better aircrafts like the Su-57, but they only have 5 of those and 8 MIG-35.  Su-30 and 35 are also quite recent and haven't been downed as much as the others in the current Ukrainian war (only 3 lost in the air, 1 on the ground, so stealth isn't a factor here)
https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/03/list-of-aircraft-losses-during-2022.html

It sucks to be a small country that can't maintain many different, specialized aircrafts :(

crazy canuck

I heard Kenney defend his meme by attacking the "green left"

Does that include all who are not climate change deniers?

Malthus

I have no idea which aircraft is better to procure. The choice seems to have become highly politicized. Allegedly, the airplanes being considered now have come down in price since they were first considered and rejected.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius