And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Starting Monday anyone over 80 here.

Josephus

Ontario, of course, is probably last. 80+ in mid-March. I'll probably have to drive my parents. Might disguise myself as an 80+ and get it over with. :P
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on February 24, 2021, 11:22:42 AM
Ontario, of course, is probably last. 80+ in mid-March. I'll probably have to drive my parents. Might disguise myself as an 80+ and get it over with. :P

Vaccines are distributed by the Feds so there's no difference in vaccine distribution to each province.  Alberta for example is allowing bookings, but I don't think they're poking people for a couple of weeks yet.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

O'Toole posts a video of him standing outside the Prime Minister's Office, says how they need Canadians to vote Trudeau out of that office and into something more appropriate.  He says they have something lined up for him already.  The camera then pans to the right and shows a porta-pottie which O'Toole points to.

Just stupid.  Being the most charitable they probably went to the PMO to film the little video, saw the porta-pottie and thought they were doing a "brilliant" ad-lib, because no one who thought about that for any amount of time would have decided it was a good idea.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 24, 2021, 11:24:44 AM
Quote from: Josephus on February 24, 2021, 11:22:42 AM

Vaccines are distributed by the Feds so there's no difference in vaccine distribution to each province.  Alberta for example is allowing bookings, but I don't think they're poking people for a couple of weeks yet.

The difference is each of the provinces administers the vaccines they receive from the Feds differently   

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 24, 2021, 11:28:14 AM
O'Toole posts a video of him standing outside the Prime Minister's Office, says how they need Canadians to vote Trudeau out of that office and into something more appropriate.  He says they have something lined up for him already.  The camera then pans to the right and shows a porta-pottie which O'Toole points to.

Just stupid.  Being the most charitable they probably went to the PMO to film the little video, saw the porta-pottie and thought they were doing a "brilliant" ad-lib, because no one who thought about that for any amount of time would have decided it was a good idea.

:bleeding:

crazy canuck

Just read 75- 79 can book for appointments starting April 9.  And by then things are really supposed to speed up - fingers crossed.

Barrister

Video was showing up multiple times in my Twitter feed so I commented on it.

Turns out the video was from the leadership race, but when it was posted it was NOT identified as such.

So instead of it being a failing by the CPC leadership team, it's a gotcha attempt from some Twitter troll.  Very different standard for someone in a leadership race, than from the leader of Her Majesty's Opposition.

Grey Fox

Quebec's starting our at-large vaccination regime with the 85+. GMA on Monday, a week later for the rest of the province.

Appointment starts on Thursday.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 24, 2021, 11:48:14 AM

Turns out the video was from the leadership race, but when it was posted it was NOT identified as such.

So instead of it being a failing by the CPC leadership team, it's a gotcha attempt from some Twitter troll.  Very different standard for someone in a leadership race, than from the leader of Her Majesty's Opposition.

If you had not mentioned it, I would not have known it existed. Doesn't show up on any of my news feeds (that I noticed).  Internal Conservative attack?

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on February 24, 2021, 11:48:14 AM

Yeah that's fair. Kinda dumb for general public consumption, but probably appropriate for internal Conservative positioning where there's a significant constituency that loathe Trudeau on a visceral personal level.

But that sort of internal-external split messaging is a bit risky these days, due to the potential for long life on social media. As evidenced by the current situation.

Sheilbh

Yeah it is more difficult. But there is also a lot of tricksy bullshit on social media that is at best disingenuous and I think potentially quite corrosive.

For example it's a bit like the PPE scandal here. Left and celebrity Twitter in the UK has been furious at the media not covering the ruling by the High Court that the Health Department's PPE contracts were administered unlawfully. Similarly they're furious about the Labour party not calling for him to resign etc and raving about corruption. But there are allegations of corruption and there are claims about that in the courts. But the reason the media isn't covering it and the Labour party aren't going crazy about it is because the finding so far is that the Health Department commits to publish all procurement contracts within 30 days and, during the first wave of the pandemic, on average published them after 47 days - which is unlawful, but not exactly a huge scandal.

But lots of people who should know better are linking or sharing the outrage. I'm not sure it's a good or a healthy thing to take things out of context or use them this way.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on February 20, 2021, 01:41:52 PM
If the Liberals are radical what does he think of the NDP?
The Libs have radicalised themselves under Trudeau, they now consider everyone not of them to be an ennemy of the State (evil seperatists, evil nationalists, evil conservative right-winger, evil neo-con, evil etc - with so many ennemies, it's hard to keep track of them all).  The NPD is just the rejected offspring of the Liberal party, the one that was let go and never spoken to for the last 20 years because he was criminally insane.  Kinda like a left wing version of Syt's sisters :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 20, 2021, 04:40:38 PM
Why are the Conservative now afraid of any and all changes? They use to be about slowing things down but still "bettering" our society. Now, all they seem to want is to line the pockets of the oil industry.
Strange.  I kinda feel like the Liberal Party has been the party of status quo.  What major piece of legislation have they brought? The 1982 Constitution that removed Quebec's veto rights and gave anglo group the footing they needed to impose their own version of bilinguism on Quebec (you know, the one where Canada is an english country but Quebec must be a bilingual province otherwise it's racist)?  The GST - nah, that was the Cons.  NAFTA?  Ah, Cons, again.  F-35 to replace our aging F-18s before they can't fly anymore?  Ah, the Cons.  Navy replacement?  Launched by the Cons, the Libs seems to have managed to lost complete track of the budget on this one (but honestly, losing the budget is their specialty :P ).  Oh. I found one!  They fixed the fiscal imbalance! Yeah that was- oups, I did it again!  It was the Cons.
Meanwhile, the Libs have:- Blamed Quebec for not using the rapid covid-19 tests while they themselves gave the instructions to only used them with regular tests- botched the vaccine acquisition & distribution and been totally non transparent about it- botched the covid-19 response by not enforcing any rules on travelers until Quebec&Ontario both threatened to take care of the airports for them, twice over
- left illegal immigrants enter the country freely with no controls, until Quebec threatened to take action and block Roxham road, then they put a couple of border agents and had the RCMP round up the ones they could find and put them in the Olympic Stadium - at Quebec's expenses- increase taxes on the upper middle class- racked up an insane budged deficit in times of prosperity so that now we are forced to borrow at increase costs when we really need the money to spend
- created a program for everyone so generous that workers are now staying at home instead of returning to their bars and restaurants- Created the fiscal unbalance that hurt Quebec and the provinces so much in the past that we are now seeing the consequences on our health care- Increased GHG emissions while they promised to make environment their #1 priority- Constantly attacked the Quebec government, often via the backdoor of financing the anti bill 101 opposition in Quebec, and now they say they inspired themselves from that same law that makes us racist schmucks, to protect French accross Canada.  Kinda like giving ventolin to a covid-19 patient.  Too little, too late.  It was needed 30, 40 years ago.-  Referred to a Quebec Premier has a "hot dog eater", while acting scandalized that  a Quebec minister could refer to federalists as "Eaton shoppers" (Eaton&Sears were well known for their hostility to French - even going so far as to sending a Leaf's jersey to a unilingual Habs fans :(  *)
- Signing the Kyoto protocol but not doing anything to implement it- That thing about oil&gaz the Albertans keep ranting about :P- Preventing Quebec from acquiring auto/truck plants while subsidizing Ontario's industry- Subsidizing Ontario's nuclear industry and preventing Quebec from financing its creation of Hydro-Quebec on Canadian financial markets- etc, etc, etc.

Frankly, the only bad thing the Cons ever did was to help Newfoundland launch its own hydro-electrical project to compete Quebec's then proposed acquistion of Energy NB, with the disastrous effects we now know.
Sure, they never attended a pride parade or never promoted gay games with public funds.  But imho, politicians have no business there in the first place. They are non inclusive elements clearly aimed at a public adult of a specific inclination, even though, technically, everyone is welcomed.

*subject of a popular, fictive short-story I once read in high school ;) - their lackluster french service and catalogues filled with errors was factual, though.  Good riddance, all-in-all.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 21, 2021, 12:40:34 PM
Instead we are very likely to see Alberta cut spending and bash Ottawa for Alberta's self inflicted injury.
When in doubt, blame Quebec.  This is what's going to happen for sure.

Anyway, Kenney can't implement anything like these suggestions without getting lynched by his own supporters.  They spent years calling us commies, to now turn around and do the same thing as Quebec would be like the Republican Party proposing universal health-care for the 2022 mid-terms.