News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 02, 2021, 09:40:10 AM
I am not saying the Liberals are perfect. I am saying that the Conservatives are liars & racists.
You are right on the first point, but false on the second. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 02, 2021, 01:48:20 PM
Why is this government so fucking slow and reactive when it comes to the virus and vaccines? :grr:
If you can't figure that by yourself, you have no place in this thread and you suck as a Conservative Canadian :P :P

It's Trudeau and the Liberal Party.  We've known for years how they were, we tried to tell others, but see, they prefer corrupt and incompetent over a party that tries to go after religious radicals, because, well, it's racist and fascist to do so. :roll:

Trudeau does not plan ahead, his strength is the same as Jack Layton: he's a people's person.  He goes out in the street/metro and takes selfies with people.  He's a media star, point.  As a friend told me once, he has the brains of his mother and the looks of his father :P

And that's not far from the truth.

He can't manage a crisis, he's not a leader.  He is afraid of displeasing people, and like his father, his only "real" enemy is Quebec and French Canada, those pesky tribalists that insists on speaking something else than English.  Anything else is secondary and will be dealt with as it comes up.

The Conservatives were tough on China, he decided to smooth talk them.  See where that led us.  Deals after deals that fall apart and he does not learn that you can't trust these people.  China bought all the masks and PPE they could find in NA and Europe before telling us "oh yeah, btw, did you know that covid was transmissible from human to human and possibly airborne too?".  Why would he go and make a deal with a Chinese company when everyone knows these companies are all tightly linked to the govt, just as in Russia?

I mean, ffs.

Quebec and Ontario had to threaten him to police the airport themselves if he didn't move. Than he says "ok, I'll do it", then we learn it's only a suggestion to isolation.  Then we try to prevent travel, and impose quarantine, and he's going to do it by the end of February - once most travelers are back in the country. :roll:

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 02, 2021, 02:44:34 PM
I suppose the answer to that is that the vaccine that could be manufactured in Canada was still some time away from being approved.  But better to have the facilities ready and waiting then the other way around.
They could have built the facility, one vaccine or the other, the basic needs do not change that much, only the final equipment would change.  The Feds could have owned the building and rent it to a private company making the vaccine, or offer it free of charge in exchange for a discount and a priority of access to this batch.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on February 05, 2021, 05:17:09 AM
I am not saying the Liberals are perfect. I am saying that the Conservatives are liars & racists.

No, I'm pretty sure I'm right on both count.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 05, 2021, 06:50:33 AM
Quote from: viper37 on February 05, 2021, 05:17:09 AM

No, I'm pretty sure I'm right on both count.
We'll be back later to discuss this tendency of yours of believing fake news from Le Canal Niaiseuses. :P

In the meantime, here are some good news that will warm the heart of all Canadians on this board.  Except maybe for CC.  And Zoupa if he's already moved. ;)
For the 3rd time this century, Victoria (also Vancouver and Southern BC, I guess) is set to rejoin Canada in the greatest celebration we can have: freezing our butts off in the cold winter :P
Canada set to endure the most widespread cold this century
To pull off this incredibly rare and complex feat, myriad different parts of the atmosphere work together in tandem, dipping every square centimetre of Canada below the freezing mark.

Trust me, it's tough to get all 10 million square kilometres of Canada below freezing at the same time.

For every provincial capital to remain below the freezing mark, particularly Victoria, everything has to come together to hold the frigid air coast-to-coast. Victoria has only spent 28 days below the freezing mark for an entire day this century, and strong winds flowing from the continental high-pressure inland will make this a reality.

First, a ridge has to set up near Alaska, to buffer the normally active Pacific jet and allow cold air to stream south. A disruption of the polar vortex several weeks ago allowed decaying lobes of Siberian air to flush south.

Finally, a strong blocking ridge in Northern Canada is the final piece of the puzzle - consider this the key. It locks and shunts the cold air south, trapping it in place, with no escape route in sight.

Oh, and Florida has to be warm. A strong southeastern ridge helps limit the final escape route for the cold.

There have only been two periods this century where Canada's capitals all together spent two days below the freezing mark. December 19 and 20, 2008, and February 5 and 6, 2014.

Oh, December 2008, where up to one metre of snow fell across parts of the South Coast of British Columbia.

February 2014 had extremely impressive monthly anomalies in the Prairies, up to 17°C below normal -- that's particularly anomalous for an entire month.

This week, the widespread Canadian chill will be the latest on record since at least the beginning of the 21st century.

2021 threatens to do the unheard of -- three consecutive days with below zero temperatures across all of Canada.

Arctic air is set to stick around, promising an active storm track in Eastern Canada, but with temperatures slowly emerging from the proverbial freezer in Western Canada over the next couple of weeks.

Follow the link for maps  :Canuck:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Yeah it's been brutal. We had, like, 0.5 cm of snow the other day. And temperatures went all the way down to -4.

Reminded me of Ottawa winters.

More seriously, we've had a bit of a cold spell but it's not been too bad so far.

crazy canuck

Somehow the snow came off the local mountains and landed, briefly, in my yard.  Not sure what to make of it.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 10, 2021, 10:44:53 PM
Doesn't LCN love the PCC?
Haven't watched in a while.  Last time I did, outside of Mario Dumont and maybe Martineau, most others were piling on the Cons like most other medias in the province.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 10, 2021, 11:49:29 PM
Somehow the snow came off the local mountains and landed, briefly, in my yard.  Not sure what to make of it.
Terrible.

I empathize with you both.  Stay strong! :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on February 10, 2021, 11:56:07 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 10, 2021, 11:49:29 PM
Terrible.

I empathize with you both.  Stay strong! :P

It is going to be crazy cold here for the next few days - going all the way down to -4C!

We will survive this, we are Vancouver Strong!

I do worry about the plants that have begun to bloom in my yard though  :(

Jacob

I saw the first cherry blossoms on Jan 31st. I bet that tree regretted the decision to start blooming.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on February 10, 2021, 11:26:28 PM
More seriously, we've had a bit of a cold spell but it's not been too bad so far.
Well, your ancestors emigrated from Denmark to Iceland, Greenland and Newfoundland because the climate was better.  I figured you'd survive this terrible ordeal :P

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on February 11, 2021, 09:26:15 PM
Well, your ancestors emigrated from Denmark to Iceland, Greenland and Newfoundland because the climate was better.  I figured you'd survive this terrible ordeal :P

It's tough going, but I'm doing my best eh?  :uffda:

Barrister

I wasn't sure where to put this since it's not just a Canadian issue:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7633983/imperial-suncor-line-5-shutdown-plans/

There's a pipeline (Enbridge 5) that takes oil and gas from Alberta, crosses through the US, and then back into Canada.  It was built in the 1950s and has never leaked.  But it crosses the Michigan Upper Peninsula and crosses the straights of Mackinaw, which is the body of water that connects lakes Michigan and Lake Huron (and that separates the Upper Peninsula from the rest of Michigan).

Governor Whitmer has ordered it to be shut down by May.

The damn thing supplies half of Ontario's oil (half of Michigan's heating propane too by the way), thousands of jobs rely on it in Ontario.  But they're worried it might leak (even though it never has).  Enbridge even signed a deal to replace it and bury it underground (rather than on the lakebed) - but obviously that can't be done by May.

It's just madness.   A friend of mine works at Enbridge (he's a PhD chemist and works mostly on Line 5) and they're mostly confident the courts will stand by them, but still...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.