News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zoupa

You can have a republic while keeping parliamentary supremacy.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 27, 2021, 10:56:39 PM
If you want a President we have four used ones we could send you :hmm:

Do any of them speak French?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

That is sorta the point, we don't.

Quote from: Zoupa on January 28, 2021, 08:33:14 AM
You can have a republic while keeping parliamentary supremacy.

While it is possible, why take the risk that it might not work the way it does now.

Jacob

Yeah, I'm kind of phlegmatic on this. I'm not overly fond of the British royal house or the notion of monarchy, so I don't have any deep objections to getting rid of them.

On the other hand, our current system works tolerably well so I'm weary of changing it nilly-willy. If there's a strong and present reason to change, I'm in, but I'm not sure there is yet.

So I guess viper is correct, I'm a small c conservative :D

If we're looking at changing the system, I'd rather go proportional representation so individual wings of the current parties can build coalitions in different ways and give a better representation of the electorates will. Of course, I'm aiming for how things are done in Northern Europe rather than, say, Italy or Israel. So I can see why some Canadians may be small c conservative on this topic too.

Sheilbh

As a positive, at least the British Royal Family speak French :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

I'm willing to change our HoS away from the British Royal Family but somethings are not negotiable.

Head of Government & Head of State must be separate.
Absolutely no actual power for the HoS.
Absolutely no elections, in any form, for the HoS.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 28, 2021, 01:25:38 PM
I'm willing to change our HoS away from the British Royal Family but somethings are not negotiable.

It sure sounds like you're describing a constitutional monarchy. :D

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 28, 2021, 01:27:35 PM

Yep.  Basically exactly the system we have.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on January 28, 2021, 01:27:35 PM

Yes, that's my preferred choice.

Our system work, I don't want to change it. We could change where the people on top come from tho, I'm ok with that idea.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

crazy canuck

Since we are going to be vaccinated in BC by about September, I think that data is just slightly suspect.

edit: just noticed your source - very suspect.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 27, 2021, 10:27:10 PM
Quote from: viper37 on January 27, 2021, 10:01:37 PM
Just because it didn't work 4 years in 244 does not mean it is fundamentally flawed.

If the last four years were the only times the US government has been dysfunctional, you would have a point.

In any even I much prefer not having someone with the power their president has.  For all the reasons we have discussed in the past.  I much prefer our Parliamentary system where a party actually has an incentive to take down a weak leader (and especially when they are governing).
What powers does the President has that the Prime Minister of Canada does not have?

The President of the US has the power the Congress lets him have.  A Trump Presidency with a Democrat majority in the House and Senate would have been very different.  For starters, he would have been impeached within the first 2 years.  No chance of impeaching Trudeau here, in a majority government.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Only Obama would be palatable, but he made the mistake of befriending Trudeau, so I think he's pretty bad judge of character.  I'll pass.  Clinton his too old now, even young, naive interns don't want to blow job him, and besides, Hillary got him on a leech, so I don't think power has any interests to him anymore :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 28, 2021, 11:33:26 AM
While it is possible, why take the risk that it might not work the way it does now.
I never figured your for a small c conservative  :P