News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on February 21, 2021, 02:47:25 PM
I'm fine with "low taxes, low government services, encourage capitalist growth to cover any gaps" as a philosophy. I mean, I don' support it and I don't believe it provides the best outcomes but it's a legitimate political choice. But if you espouse those views, claim you're following them while getting gobs of Federal cash while not acknowledging it that's another ball of wax.
To be fair, all budgets are public, provincial and federal, and provincial governments' budgets always show the amount of federal transfers received.  You can see the share federal transfers represent for each provinces on their budget page, each year.

What doesn't show is the specific amount of $$ in individual transfers, like unemployment insurance, among others.  That, you need to dig through the various departments and Statistics Canada websites.  And when you don't specifically know what you're looking for, it can take days.
And trying to determine the non specifically provincial things, like custom taxes (among many other things) would be near impossible, since you never know if a package crossing through Ontario/US border is aimed at an Ontarian or someone else in the country.  It would be the same for GST.  You could only tell where the tax was perceived, not whom paid it.  A US based company, like, say, EA, charging GST for its products won't report specifically X$ collected from Albertan customers, it will simply show up in the govt books as GST collected to the amount of $$ from Electronic Arts.

And to be fair part 2, if they're getting extra transfers to facilitate a transition away from being so heavily dependent on oil, that's cool too - though it'd be good if they acknowledged it if that's the case.
You are either dreaming or very naive.  They're just hoping a Conservative
government will get elected with a near totality of ridings in Alberta and then will roll back any of the uneffective environmental measures put in place by the Libs and then the oil will flow again ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 23, 2021, 06:03:02 PM
Apparently Edmonton had its very own tiki torch rally.  Kenney has condemned White Nationalism.

Edmonton?  What is going on in your home town BB?
what's a tiki torch rally? :confused:

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on February 24, 2021, 07:22:20 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 23, 2021, 06:03:02 PM
Apparently Edmonton had its very own tiki torch rally.  Kenney has condemned White Nationalism.

Edmonton?  What is going on in your home town BB?

It's Alberta. Canada's redneck province.
You're being unfair.
They hold regular, festive, gatherings for newcomers:
[/img]

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on February 24, 2021, 11:09:03 PM
Quote from: Josephus on February 24, 2021, 07:22:20 AM
It's Alberta. Canada's redneck province.
You're being unfair.
They hold regular, festive, gatherings for newcomers:
[/img]

Fuck off viper. :rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Viper : What's a tiki torch rally?
Viper's next post : The ultimate end of a tiki torch rally.

I can agree with you that the Liberal party is the status quo party. It only gets pushed to action when the NDP is breathing up its neck. Right now, Singh's NDP is more interested in facilitating a Conservative Majority than use it's power balance position.

You won't get me to defend our Federalism. It's historically racist & borderline racist nowadays. The positive from it are few.

But electing the Canadian Tea party is not the solution.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

I was reading Syt's latest post about the nonsense his sister puts on Facebook - this one related gun control to Hitler and others killing people as I was listening a local news story about a small town BC major saying the same thing.

The influence of right wing social media coming out of the US is a serious problem for the right wing in this country.

Here is the story about the mayor

https://ca.style.yahoo.com/b-c-mayor-refuses-step-120000747.html 

Barrister

Government of Alberta took a lot of flak for it's vaccine online booking tool - just didn't seem to work for anyone when it went online yesterday (and remember this is just for ages 75+).

Went online now just to check it out - it puts you in some kind of online waiting list before booking your appointment.  Right now it says I have to wait 18 minutes (I'm not going to lie and book an appointment - just checking it out) with 3007 people ahead of me.

Shouldn't an online-only system be able to handle 3007 concurrent users? :huh:

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on February 25, 2021, 11:05:09 AM
Government of Alberta took a lot of flak for it's vaccine online booking tool - just didn't seem to work for anyone when it went online yesterday (and remember this is just for ages 75+).

Went online now just to check it out - it puts you in some kind of online waiting list before booking your appointment.  Right now it says I have to wait 18 minutes (I'm not going to lie and book an appointment - just checking it out) with 3007 people ahead of me.

Shouldn't an online-only system be able to handle 3007 concurrent users? :huh:

Lulz - apparently when yesterday was a complete clusterfuck, a U of Calgary adjunct computer science professor got a Denmark-based computer-queuing company in touch with Alberta Health Services which they then promptly used.  I mean - good it seems to be working now, but again surely they could have figured that out ahead of time?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-vaccine-booking-overwhelmed-system-stable-1.5927602

Barrister

Budget day in Alberta.  While late last year it sounded like Kenney was preparing us for a drastic "fiscal reckoning", it now seems more likely that with the pandemic still going strong instead we'll get another year of record-high debt.

Some talk about whether us Crown Prosecutors, because we are non-unionized and classified as management, should be expecting a pay cut - despite the fact wages have been frozen for the last 6 years.

HVC

what are the odds of Alberta finally getting a sales tax?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on February 25, 2021, 03:18:57 PM

Wow they don't have a sales tax? How progressive.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on February 25, 2021, 03:28:20 PM

Oil Money. But as CC mentioned previously, they never learned from the story of the grasshopper and the ant.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

In this budget - zero.  In the future?  Higher than they've probably ever been, though I wouldn't be betting on it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on February 25, 2021, 03:28:20 PM

That was the point of my earlier post  :)

Barrister

AstraZeneca vaccine approved in Canada.  Canada has purchased 20 million doses.  Trudeau says 'he believes most of those 20 million doses will be delivered before Canada Day.'

https://globalnews.ca/news/7629162/astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-approval-canada/?fbclid=IwAR3lIg-KgMJYxEdEqG_vh8JjOYzMMs-YSUVzXMorxIZzms66fOEc7GhIVEE