Japan hit by 8.9 quake and following tsunami

Started by Pedrito, March 11, 2011, 03:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Was their any expectation that their breakwaters would be effective against a wave of that magnitude?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on March 14, 2011, 08:45:54 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 14, 2011, 01:30:28 PM
Hmmm... that raises some questions with me then, as the Sendai plain has been hit with very large tsunamis in the past (there was one in the middle ages that IIRC was so destructive that it helped the Japanese win a war against the Ainu that still inhabited the area) and there had been predictions for some time that the area was overdue for another massive quake. :hmm:

From what I read, the Japanese invested massively in breakwaters.  A coastal city just earned a place in the Guiness book of records for having the most elaborate and deepest breakwaters in the world.  The system was completely ineffective in this crisis and was destroyed. 

The nuclear plants were also protected by breakwaters that were not up to the task.  That's why the Japanese were caught off-guard.  They thought they had enough protection and the cooling system would remain intact.
A magnitude 9 right off the coast, just six miles deep, that's gonna fuck any country in the world up unless they built like 10m walls all the way down the coast.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Now it's getting bad. They spent too long trying to save the reactor and now they're in trouble.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42066534/ns/world_news-asiapacific/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Wow!  :(

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42066622/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

QuoteTAKAJO, Japan — Japanese police say the official death toll from last week's massive earthquake and tsunami has risen to 2,414.

Police said Tuesday that a big share of the deaths were in Miyagi prefecture, where 1,254 people are confirmed dead.

The number of people officially missing is at 3,118. But regional officials said they believe that tens of thousands may have been swept away by the tsunami that devastated a long stretch of Japan's northeastern coast Friday.

Millions of people were facing a fifth day without water, food or heating in near-freezing temperatures along the devastated northeast coast. Meanwhile, a third reactor at a nuclear power plant lost its cooling capacity, raising fears of a meltdown, while the Japanese stock market plunged for a second day.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

jimmy olsen

It's a good thing CdM didn't go into advertising.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/local_news/water_cooler/aflac-fires-gilbert-gottfried-after-he-tweeted-tsunami-jokes
QuoteAflac fires Gilbert Gottfried after tsunami jokes via Twitter
The comedian is facing backlash from the public

Last Updated: 1 hour and 58 minutes ago

* By: Mollie Reynolds

Aflac has fired actor Gilbert Gottfried, voice of the Aflac duck, for offensive remarks about the Japanese earthquake and tsunami on Twitter.

@RealGilbert tweeted, "Japan is really advanced. They don't go to the beach. The beach comes to them." Another tweet said, "I just split up with my girlfriend, but like the Japanese say, They'll be another one floating by any minute now."

"Gilbert's recent comments about the crisis in Japan were lacking in humor and certainly do not represent the thoughts and feelings of anyone at Aflac," Aflac Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer Michael Zuna said in a written release. "Aflac Japan – and, by extension, Japan itself – is part of the Aflac family, and there is no place for anything but compassion and concern during these difficult times."

Aflac is one of the biggest insurers in Japan and  has pledged 100 million yen to the International Red Cross to help earthquake and tsunami victims.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Neil on March 14, 2011, 09:28:05 PM
Was their any expectation that their breakwaters would be effective against a wave of that magnitude?

The problem is that one would need something more like a dam than a mere wall. With the tsunami's long wavelength the water keeps on piling up when it encounters a breakwater, eventually spilling over, though the breakwater will have had a mitigating effect.

Camerus

Media hype aside, seems like the situation at the plant is, in fact, getting worse and worse.   :huh:

Caliga

Not only did Gilbert get fired, but he got fired for cracking jokes that weren't even funny. :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 15, 2011, 01:54:48 AM

The problem is that one would need something more like a dam than a mere wall. With the tsunami's long wavelength the water keeps on piling up when it encounters a breakwater, eventually spilling over, though the breakwater will have had a mitigating effect.

Sounds like a breakwater could actually make it worse, holding back a rather huge amount of water until it inevitably fails, imparting that much more momentum to the mass of water.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on March 15, 2011, 07:08:17 AM
Not only did Gilbert get fired, but he got fired for cracking jokes that weren't even funny. :huh:
And those duck voicing jobs don't just grow on trees. :(

Ed Anger

Gilbert still has the shoehorn on a stick gig.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 15, 2011, 01:54:48 AM

I was wondering this very thing myself: would a sea-wall that was only slightly lower than the tsunami do any good at all (assuming it held)? From the videos I get the impression that it would not really - any more than a dike slightly lower than sea-level would protect Holland.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Hey, what ever happened to that OldMan dude?  Wasn't he an English teacher in Japan? :unsure:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Camerus