Japan hit by 8.9 quake and following tsunami

Started by Pedrito, March 11, 2011, 03:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Tyr on March 16, 2011, 04:57:45 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 16, 2011, 01:53:22 PM

Well there are 10 000+ dead, about half a million people displaced, thousands of people still unaccounted for, a significant dip in the electricity production for the country, a massive amount of infrastructure to be rebuilt, potential long term health risk for the population of a major metropolis; it's the biggest disaster in the country since it was bombed into rubble by the Americans at the end of World War II.

Seems reasonable to me that they have constant rolling news, to be honest.

Yeah, makes sense for them, perfectly understandable. Annoys me though. :P

So, are you being forced to watch at gunpoint or something?

Neil

Americans have no conception of how to deal with a nuclear incident, other than to panic and start looting.  It would be wise to take the advice of the US government with a grain of salt.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

I wish I went to the Vitamin Shoppe and got all their iodine pills to sell on ebay.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

What's with the iodine pills? From what I hear they help stave off thryroid cancer, which is but one symptom of radiation exposure.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Josephus on March 16, 2011, 09:37:30 PM
What's with the iodine pills? From what I hear they help stave off thryroid cancer, which is but one symptom of radiation exposure.

Thyroid cancer and other affects or radioactive iodine are the only long-term, non-localized effects observed from Chernobyl.

Josquius

So, are you being forced to watch at gunpoint or something?
No. Like to watch some of their usual programming sometimes though.

Quote from: Josephus on March 16, 2011, 09:37:30 PM
They're magic 'stop you turning into a flesh eating mutant if you breath some radiation' pills.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2011, 05:52:17 PM
In Korea witch doctors (shamans, traditional healers, whatever) used to fly reverse swastika flags.

It has been a Buddhist symbol for hundreds, if not thousands of years.  Hitler stole it  :mad:

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 12, 2011, 09:39:01 PM
My brother's ship is headed there to provide aid.

Today they had to flush the ship's whole water supply because the water had radiation in it. I'm not sure exactly how that works, but hey. Bottom's up.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

People are spreading crazy rumours in Hong Kong and China.  The latest theory is that consuming large quantities of salt helps to combat radiation.  Because salt contains iodine.  And since sea water is being contaminated, salt supply will be affected.  I see people lining up to buy salt in the markets  :secret:

Jacob

Probably spread by a salt distributor....

Monoriu

I thought HK people are smarter than that  :cry: