Japan hit by 8.9 quake and following tsunami

Started by Pedrito, March 11, 2011, 03:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Yeah, if the Japanese Emperor actually comes on national television to make a speech, it's not 'business as usual' in any respect for Japan.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on March 15, 2011, 07:08:17 AM
Not only did Gilbert get fired, but he got fired for cracking jokes that weren't even funny. :huh:

All his jokes were unfunny. You live by the sword, you die by the sword.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on March 16, 2011, 01:53:22 PM

Well there are 10 000+ dead, about half a million people displaced, thousands of people still unaccounted for, a significant dip in the electricity production for the country, a massive amount of infrastructure to be rebuilt, potential long term health risk for the population of a major metropolis; it's the biggest disaster in the country since it was bombed into rubble by the Americans at the end of World War II.

Seems reasonable to me that they have constant rolling news, to be honest.

Yeah, makes sense for them, perfectly understandable. Annoys me though. :P
██████
██████
██████

katmai

Quote from: Caliga on March 15, 2011, 11:53:05 AM

Hey, what ever happened to that OldMan dude?  Wasn't he an English teacher in Japan? :unsure:

Yes, was and is.

Met up with him and Tonitrus last summer when Olds was in town.

He's on facebook you goofy Carpetbagger.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

The talking head on CNN is making a big deal out of the fact that the US is telling our citizens in Japan to stay 50 klicks away from the reactors instead of the 30 the Japs said.

Ed Anger

I'd love to be able to see the pictures from the Global Hawk they are going to use over the plant.

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2011, 05:14:30 PM
The talking head on CNN is making a big deal out of the fact that the US is telling our citizens in Japan to stay 50 klicks away from the reactors instead of the 30 the Japs said.

The trouble with 24 hour news stations is that they have to make big deals of little things all the time.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on March 16, 2011, 05:31:32 PM
The trouble with 24 hour news stations is that they have to make big deals of little things all the time.
Anderson Cooper followed that up with a little mini-rant about how uninformative and lacking in detail the press conference given by the PM's spokesman was.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Admiral Yi

In Korea witch doctors (shamans, traditional healers, whatever) used to fly reverse swastika flags.

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2011, 05:14:30 PM

80 klicks, not 50 or 30.  50 miles.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/17/world/asia/17search.html

Ed Anger