Japan hit by 8.9 quake and following tsunami

Started by Pedrito, March 11, 2011, 03:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Given that I've only ever lived in Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and Kentucky, you should be pretty impressed that I've even felt a single one.  I'm not impressed that a guy in Nevada has felt a lot of earthquakes. :P
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on March 14, 2011, 11:49:04 AM
Given that I've only ever lived in Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and Kentucky, you should be pretty impressed that I've even felt a single one.  I'm not impressed that a guy in Nevada has felt a lot of earthquakes. :P
Actually, the corner of Kentucky/Tennessee/Illinois/Missouri is a high earthquake hazard area. :smarty:

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

Caliga

Yes, I'm aware of that, but I live 305 miles from New Madrid.  Still, one out of the two tremors I felt was triggered by the Wabash Fault, which is a more northern fault somehow connected to New Madrid (that earthquake was centered in Illinois).  People that live closer to New Madrid (e.g. Fireblade) feel tremors fairly often.  In fact, I was talking to FB on Facebook chat the other week and he actually felt an earthquake during the conversation.

The other tremor I've felt was when I lived in Massahusetts and there was an unusually strong (5.1 IIRC) quake in the Adirondacks.

lustindarkness

I've felt some back at PR, none in AL that I can remember.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tyr on March 14, 2011, 10:30:39 AM
Number 2.
The thread I linked to explains it well. They could have stopped the disaster anytime they wanted by flooding the reactors; doing so though would ruin the reactors, they wanted to try and recover them if they could.

I read that the Fukushima reactors have in fact been flooded by seawater, and that the hesitancy to do this from the very beginning was indeed due to the fact that doing so renders them unrecoverable.

That is a very serious issue in itself because nuclear construction costs are so high and time to construct is so long.  The replacement cost of the Fukushima complex is likely somewhere between 9 and 15 billion dollars.  Putting aside safety issues, it might make more sense to build a number of  less complex, smaller, non-nuclear plants in areas that are at high risk of earthquake or severe flooding.  (a consideration that does not seem to impacted regime thinking in Iran).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on March 14, 2011, 12:03:37 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 14, 2011, 11:49:04 AM
Actually, the corner of Kentucky/Tennessee/Illinois/Missouri is a high earthquake hazard area. :smarty:

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

I've never felt an Earth Quake.  The New Madrid fault either produces very few earth quakes are very mild ones.  Tornadoes are bigger threat to people in the area.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Raz, it produces almost nonstop tremors, but most are a 2 or less on the Richter scale.  I have a plugin for Google Earth that overlays it with earthquake activity and any time I log in there and look at the New Madrid zone, there have been dozens of earthquakes within the past 72 hours, but most are in the 1-2 range.

Berkut

Was the damage done to the plants a result of the quake or the tsunami? I am assuming it was the quake - they can't all have been close enough to the shore to be effected by the water, I would assume.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on March 14, 2011, 01:11:56 PM
Was the damage done to the plants a result of the quake or the tsunami? I am assuming it was the quake - they can't all have been close enough to the shore to be effected by the water, I would assume.

From what I read, it was the tsunami - it flooded the back-up generators needed to circulate the coolant.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on March 14, 2011, 01:11:56 PM

Reactors need access to a large body of water for cooling.  So yes they probably are all close to the shore.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Hmmm... that raises some questions with me then, as the Sendai plain has been hit with very large tsunamis in the past (there was one in the middle ages that IIRC was so destructive that it helped the Japanese win a war against the Ainu that still inhabited the area) and there had been predictions for some time that the area was overdue for another massive quake. :hmm:

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on March 14, 2011, 01:30:28 PM
Hmmm... that raises some questions with me then, as the Sendai plain has been hit with very large tsunamis in the past (there was one in the middle ages that IIRC was so destructive that it helped the Japanese win a war against the Ainu that still inhabited the area) and there had been predictions for some time that the area was overdue for another massive quake. :hmm:
What does it mean to be "overdue for an earthquake"?  Do earthquakes happen in cycles?

Josquius

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 14, 2011, 12:53:58 PM
I read that the Fukushima reactors have in fact been flooded by seawater, and that the hesitancy to do this from the very beginning was indeed due to the fact that doing so renders them unrecoverable.

That is a very serious issue in itself because nuclear construction costs are so high and time to construct is so long.  The replacement cost of the Fukushima complex is likely somewhere between 9 and 15 billion dollars.  Putting aside safety issues, it might make more sense to build a number of  less complex, smaller, non-nuclear plants in areas that are at high risk of earthquake or severe flooding.  (a consideration that does not seem to impacted regime thinking in Iran).
On the bright side however I remember reading these reactors are the oldest ones at the site and were due to be replaced in a year or two anyway.
██████
██████
██████

Maximus

Quote from: DGuller on March 14, 2011, 01:31:53 PM
What does it mean to be "overdue for an earthquake"?  Do earthquakes happen in cycles?
As I understand it, earthquakes are typically a sudden release of tension that has built up between plates. So essentially yes. You can have continuous small tremors or you can have more intermittent larger quakes.