Japan hit by 8.9 quake and following tsunami

Started by Pedrito, March 11, 2011, 03:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

The nuclear stuff is getting very annoying now, I'm bored of it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3396817

I think my friend is OK. Relief. Found her twitter account the other night, which had me worried as her last post was on Friday which said (I think, my Japanese sucks); can't watch TV, lost signal, says water will come? But today she's started posting regularly saying she's returned home and whatnot.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Is there an actual risk of serious radioactive release here or is the media just bullshitting in order to scare people and drum up ratings?  I mean, it's not like a nuclear plant can explode like a hydrogen bomb or anything...
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on March 14, 2011, 10:29:25 AM
Is there an actual risk of serious radioactive release here or is the media just bullshitting in order to scare people and drum up ratings?  I mean, it's not like a nuclear plant can explode like a hydrogen bomb or anything...

Number 2.
The thread I linked to explains it well. They could have stopped the disaster anytime they wanted by flooding the reactors; doing so though would ruin the reactors, they wanted to try and recover them if they could.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Well, then isn't it kind of doing a disservice to the Japanese people to obsess over nuclear disaster when there's a REAL disaster that's unfolded before our eyes and is just getting worse by the day as people may remain trapped and others lack shelter, food, heat, etc.?

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on March 14, 2011, 10:32:24 AM
Well, then isn't it kind of doing a disservice to the Japanese people to obsess over nuclear disaster when there's a REAL disaster that's unfolded before our eyes and is just getting worse by the day as people may remain trapped and others lack shelter, food, heat, etc.?

Natural disasters come and go.

A chance to incite hysteria over nuclear power has to be milked for all it is worth.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

Yeah. Earthquakes and tsunamis have been done. People understand them, they know they've little chance of ever affecting us. Meh.
The N word though...oooohhhh scary scary.

Even the Japanese news has been putting a lot of attention on the 'nuclear crisis'. Nuclear stuff is doubly scary in their national psyche.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on March 14, 2011, 10:37:03 AM

A chance to incite hysteria over nuclear power has to be milked for all it is worth.
I don't really get why left hippies hate nuclear power so much.  It's safe, cheap, and pollution-free.

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on March 14, 2011, 10:39:42 AM
Even the Japanese news has been putting a lot of attention on the 'nuclear crisis'. Nuclear stuff is doubly scary in their national psyche.
Actually, the first time I learned that the Japanese had nuclear plants (which was several years ago), I was very surprised for that reason.

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on March 14, 2011, 10:41:21 AM
Quote from: Berkut on March 14, 2011, 10:37:03 AM

I don't really get why left hippies hate nuclear power so much.  It's safe, cheap, and pollution-free.
I don't get it either.  Though, to be fair, it's not really pollution free, they can emit a lot of dangerous pollution if not carefully regulated.

Caliga

But that's the exception, not the norm.  Coal, gas, and oil plants are guaranteed to release pollution at all times, pretty much.  Hell, I can look out my office window and see a coal-fired plant polluting the Ohio Valley right now.

Valmy

There are left hippies who are for Nuclear Power just for those reasons but they tend to get smacked around as heretics.  A solution to pollution would ruin their position that modern life is immoral and we should return to neolithic conditions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Yeah. Earthquakes and tsunamis have been done. People understand them, they know they've little chance of ever affecting us. Meh.

Can you explain "us" in your second sentence? I've already been "affected" before by an earthquake.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2011, 11:25:29 AM

Can you explain "us" in your second sentence? I've already been "affected" before by an earthquake.
Britain.

We had a minor earthquake in part of the country a year or two back but it was on a level where most people wouldn't notice it. Yet it was one of the biggest ever recorded here.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Quote from: Valmy on March 14, 2011, 11:22:50 AM

There are left hippies who are for Nuclear Power just for those reasons but they tend to get smacked around as heretics.  A solution to pollution would ruin their position that modern life is immoral and we should return to neolithic conditions.

I think that underestimates the pro-nuclear greens, at least in the UK. On the whole the greens are still against nuclear power but there is a pretty significant and vocal movement in favour and it's getting stronger. Well it was, anyways.

http://www.climaticoanalysis.org/post/nuclear-power-accepted-as-a-feasible-option-by-the-green-movement/