News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Couple of games tonight.  I'll be watching the Rice - Houston game, solely because Rice just got themselves a future superstar last week. 

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Rice-walk-on-RB-Jayson-Carter-is-legally-a-midge?urn=ncaaf-wp8758

30 carries.  DO IT, RICE

MadBurgerMaker

Uh well...I went from baseball to check on this one, and.....66-34 Houston leads, Keenum with eight TD passes (22-35 483yds 1INT).  Patrick Edwards has 6 catches for 271 yards and 4 TDs.

The fourth quarter just started.  :blink: 

Edit:  Make that 9 TDs for Keenum and 5 for Edwards.  73-34.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 27, 2011, 10:47:54 PM
What channel is that on?

It's over.  Was on FSN Houston.  73-34 Houston.

Keenum finished 24-37 534yds 9TDs 1INT
Edwards finished with 7 catches for 318 and 5TDs.

For Rice, Tyler Smith had 13 rushes for 170, 2TDs, 3 catches for 73 and 1.  Good night for him too.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

I guess Michigan was unable to get the rights for their mascot from Marvel.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 28, 2011, 10:01:49 AM
I guess Michigan was unable to get the rights for their mascot from Marvel.
Actually, Michigan discovered that wolverines were far too ferocious to use as an actual mascot; they had one for a single season and then dropped it as too hazardous.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 27, 2011, 07:26:08 PM
Couple of games tonight.  I'll be watching the Rice - Houston game, solely because Rice just got themselves a future superstar last week. 

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Rice-walk-on-RB-Jayson-Carter-is-legally-a-midge?urn=ncaaf-wp8758

30 carries.  DO IT, RICE

I saw Rice play at Marshall about three years ago.  Got a kick out of seeing an Asian cheerleader with the word "Rice" on her outfit :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Ok now it is official.  West Virginia will join the Big 12 July 1st 2012.

Story: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7159905/west-virginia-mountaineers-formally-invited-join-big-12

QuoteWest Virginia, a member of the Big East since 1995, will leave the conference after being formally invited Friday to join the Big 12.

The Big 12, meanwhile, plans to remain at 10 schools and is waiting on the departure of Missouri -- which has yet to receive a formal invitation to join the Southeastern Conference.

"This move by West Virginia does not come as a surprise," Big East commissioner John Marinatto said in a statement Friday. "League officials, members of our conference and the candidate schools to whom we have been talking were aware of this possibility. We have taken West Virginia's possible departure into account as we have moved forward with our own realignment plans."

Marinatto also said Friday that West Virginia is aware that the conference will enforce the 27-month notification period to leave the Big East -- the same rule applied to Pittsburgh and Syracuse, who have agreed to join the Atlantic Coast Conference.

"The Big 12 is a perfect fit for West Virginia University," university president James P. Clements said in a statement. "This is a very exciting time for WVU and Mountaineer nation. I am confident that the future of WVU athletics has never been more promising."

The Big 12, meanwhile, is still waiting for the SEC to move on Missouri. The SEC said Friday that an announcement that Missouri was joining the league was inadvertently posted on the league's website Thursday night and that no agreement has been reached.

The only thing holding up Missouri's departure is legal concerns, according to multiple reports.

In a news release Friday announcing the addition of West Virginia, the Big 12 said that "beginning with the 2012-13 season it is expected that the Big 12 will be comprised of 10 universities -- Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech and West Virginia." Missouri was not included in the release.

The Big 12's decision to remain at 10 -- it lost Texas A&M to the SEC and Colorado to the Pac-12, then added TCU before it ever played in the Big East, and now WVU -- will prevent Louisville from potentially joining. Louisville men's basketball coach Rick Pitino said Friday that Marinatto was disappointed in WVU's decision.

"I told him to stop taking that attitude," Pitino told ESPN.com's Andy Katz. "If Louisville had left the Big East was over. Nobody was going to come in. I told him to be fired up and go get those teams."

The teams Pitino is referring to are potential Big East invitees Boise State, Air Force, Navy, BYU, Central Florida, Houston and SMU. Marinatto has told Pitino that he has visited with or spoken to officials from each of the schools about joining the conference, Pitino said.

"We are confident that in the coming weeks we will complete our own realignment program, adding a number of high-quality members to remain among the top conferences in both football and basketball," Marinatto said in his statement.

Central Florida's board of trustees voted unanimously Friday to give school president John Hitt the authority to negotiate a contract for its athletics programs to join a new league. The vote came during a brief meeting Friday.

Pitino has expressed an opinion that the Big East should strongly consider inviting Memphis and Temple to keep the Big East as strong a basketball conference as possible.

"I told (Marinatto) we have to make sure this is a basketball conference, too. Take them all," Pitino said. "I told him that the only school that would leave now if it could is Connecticut. They want to go to the ACC. So plan for that."

Pitino said that Marinatto told him he was confident that invitations would be accepted by the schools save BYU; the Cougars have yet to indicate where their future lies.

Pitino would like to see football schools Louisville, Rutgers, UConn (for now), Cincinnati and South Florida remain with the Big East and the conference to add Navy, Boise State and Air Force for football and Memphis, Temple, Houston, SMU and Central Florida in all sports.

In Pitt, Syracuse and West Virginia, the Big East loses three traditionally strong basketball programs, with the latter being the only consistent winner in football.

"We can have a helluva basketball conference if we add Memphis and Temple, build ourselves, go to divisions," Pitino said Friday. "We can't lose our identity. I'll be so disappointed if it doesn't happen."

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

The Big Ten should start sniffing Louisville's crotch to see if there is any interest.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 28, 2011, 11:28:22 AM
The Big Ten should start sniffing Louisville's crotch to see if there is any interest.

It is really odd seeing Pitino driving the Big East bandwagon with his school coming so close to bolting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadImmortalMan

Oh god no. The last thing I want to see is billy bob homering for the B10.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2011, 11:33:19 AM
It is really odd seeing Pitino driving the Big East bandwagon with his school coming so close to bolting.

He's a basketball coach. Why wouldn't he be for the stronger basketball/weaker football conference?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 28, 2011, 01:21:43 PM
He's a basketball coach. Why wouldn't he be for the stronger basketball/weaker football conference?

Pushing for staying in the Big East inside Louisville makes sense.  Trying to tell the commissioner and try to lead the Big East to salvation is something else.

It is just funny to see him going all 'Come on!  We need to fight and keep full commitment here.  Invite Memphis, invite Temple, heck call Butler and VCU let's make this thing work!  And next year right before I tip off against Indiana for our first Big 10 conference game I want to look over at the Big East and be proud.'

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2011, 02:20:55 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 28, 2011, 01:21:43 PM

Pushing for staying in the Big East inside Louisville makes sense.  Trying to tell the commissioner and try to lead the Big East to salvation is something else.

It is just funny to see him going all 'Come on!  We need to fight and keep full commitment here.  Invite Memphis, invite Temple, heck call Butler and VCU let's make this thing work!  And next year right before I tip off against Indiana for our first Big 10 conference game I want to look over at the Big East and be proud.'
Big 10 doesn't want them.

1 Karma Chameleon point