News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

I can't help but think Oklahoma is the best team right now, though I'd love to be proven wrong.  Thoughts?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

I guess the Horns decided they were going to run the ball against Kansas today.  1:30 left in the half, and they have 40 carries between 7 guys (23 for Malcolm Brown, 102yds, 2TDs).  They just went over 300 total yards vs. 10 for the Jayhawks.  Time of possession: Texas 23:56, Kansas 5:25 (now :39 sec left)

E: 26-0 at the half.  Really fast moving game with all the running. 

sbr

Quote from: grumbler on October 29, 2011, 07:26:33 PM
I can't help but think Oklahoma is the best team right now, though I'd love to be proven wrong.  Thoughts?

I haven't seen them play this year but I would have a hard time putting them over either LSU or Alabama considering their performance against Texas Tech last week.  Also their wins over Texas and Florida State don't seem as impressive as they did at the time.

That said I think they are one of the 3 best teams in the country and would like to see them play the SEC winner in the championship game in January.

Eddie Teach

I think Stanford may be better. They're averaging 48-12 through seven games.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 29, 2011, 07:28:26 PM
I guess the Horns decided they were going to run the ball against Kansas today.  1:30 left in the half, and they have 40 carries between 7 guys (23 for Malcolm Brown, 102yds, 2TDs).  They just went over 300 total yards vs. 10 for the Jayhawks.  Time of possession: Texas 23:56, Kansas 5:25 (now :39 sec left)

E: 26-0 at the half.  Really fast moving game with all the running. 

That will have to be the strategy the rest of the way.  Even with limited passing plays David Ash is still driving me nuts...that INT in the end zone was a horrible throw.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on October 29, 2011, 07:37:14 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 29, 2011, 07:26:33 PM

I haven't seen them play this year but I would have a hard time putting them over either LSU or Alabama considering their performance against Texas Tech last week.  Also their wins over Texas and Florida State don't seem as impressive as they did at the time.

That said I think they are one of the 3 best teams in the country and would like to see them play the SEC winner in the championship game in January.

Yeah Oklahoma is very good but they lost to a really mediocre team in Texas Tech.  That brain fart will keep them out of the NC game.

Texas was highly ranked just because everybody was losing and they were unbeaten.  I was not aware that was an impressive win by OU everybody picked an easy OU win we were just hoping Texas would stay close.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2011, 07:50:00 PM
That will have to be the strategy the rest of the way.  Even with limited passing plays David Ash is still driving me nuts...that INT in the end zone was a horrible throw.

Meh.  Shit happens.  I'm not going to get too fired up over a freshman who is 12/16. 

Kansas is down to two total yards now after those first two plays of the half. 

Valmy

By the way Texas Tech is losing to Iowa State 24 - 7 at the half right now.

The Big 12 is a weird conference of everybody knocking each other off right now.  Pretty fun.

dps

Quote from: grumbler on October 29, 2011, 02:44:30 PM
I think I still see the B10 game as a rematch of last week's MSU-Wisky game, but don't think it a slam dunk any more.

I'd think it would be the Michigan-Nebraska winner against the Wisconsin-Penn State winner.  And I expect that Wisconsin will beat Penn State.  No idea who will win the Michigan-Nebraska game.

Quote from: sbr
Quote from: grumblerI can't help but think Oklahoma is the best team right now, though I'd love to be proven wrong.  Thoughts?

Alabama was my preseaon #1, so I'll stick with them until someone proves themselves better by beating them.  Granted, that may happen next week, because clearly Les Myles is either the luckiest coach in history or has made a deal with Satan.

Oklahoma State at this point is like LSU and Alabama as far as the BCS title game is concerned--all 3 teams control their own fate.  Everybody else, including the other undefeateds and Oklahoma, needs help--I can't see any of them jumping ahead of Oklahoma State if the Cowboys finish undefeated.  Well, I suppose that Oklahoma State doesn't totally control their own fate in that there's a possibility of a BCS title rematch between LSU and Alabama, but I doubt that would happen.

Personally, I'd rather see Stanford-Alabama or Boise State-Alabama than Oklahoma State-Alabama, but if the Cowboys win out I'd have a hard time arguing that anyone else is clearly better than them.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on October 29, 2011, 08:02:01 PM
Personally, I'd rather see Stanford-Alabama or Boise State-Alabama than Oklahoma State-Alabama, but if the Cowboys win out I'd have a hard time arguing that anyone else is clearly better than them.

Well if Stanford goes unbeaten it will be hard to keep them out with Andrew Luck but they are trailing USC right now.  Really we are putting the cart way before the horse here as Oklahoma State is not likely to win out, thought I would love to see it.

MadBurgerMaker

Stats!

Hills might have gotten himself some more playing time if the Horns hadn't dumbassed themselves out of two TDs earlier in the game.

Admiral Yi

Man, that backup USC running back is fucking fast as shit.

Valmy

We are young we are going to make some mistakes.  The offense piling up yards was expected but KU's offense has actually been pretty good so I am simply amazed at what the defense did.

It makes me wonder if the impressive showing against Oklahoma State two weeks ago was not simply them being a little off.

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 29, 2011, 02:45:51 PM
the Big XII is essentially C-USA in terms of geographic spread as is the Big East if it survives (they're looking to add Boise, Air Force, Houston, SMU, Navy and UCF I believe.)

Well we have one outlier.  But at least the Big XII is neither a traditional nor really a regional conference, but rather a combination of two.  We always had team traveling hundreds of miles.

But point taken and it is going to get worse.

QuoteI hate the destruction of the traditional conferences, but I'm also at the point now, where if we really are going to end up with the 4 super conferences eventually I might just say fuck it and let some central body divide the country by strict geographic lines into 4 conferences each with 2 divisions and 16 teams total. Then anyone not a top-64 team, have a similar arrangement with 4 more conferences of a lower tier (Troy and UAB have to play somewhere.)

The conferences are locking everybody down into long term contracts and TV deals and so forth.  Blowing a system as entrenched as this one now will be almost impossible.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on October 28, 2011, 05:41:56 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 28, 2011, 05:20:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2011, 11:23:53 AM
West Virginia, a member of the Big East since 1995, will leave the conference after being formally invited Friday to join the Big 12.

:)
+1

This is the dumbest single move in the history of college conferences.  May it lead to the death of the BCS.

I can see moving to the SEC.  At least the SEC allows their teams to promise scholarships that don't exist, so there is an advantage to joining.  But to jump ship to join a conference on the far side of the continent, with no compensating upside?  Madness.

Well our conference cannot survive without them.  So either they are jumping ship to play people on the otherside of the continent or we are.  Better them than us.  Besides didn't Colorado do something almost identical last year anyway?  I mean it is five hundred miles to Salt Lake City their nearest conference rival.  Why is this so singularly stupid and that isn't?  At least WV is unlikely to go 1-11 like Colorado.