News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: dps on October 29, 2011, 08:02:01 PM
I'd think it would be the Michigan-Nebraska winner against the Wisconsin-Penn State winner.  And I expect that Wisconsin will beat Penn State.  No idea who will win the Michigan-Nebraska game.
I don't see Penn State winning again this season.  And I wouldn't count OSU out, either.  If they win out, they have the tiebreaker against the other two-loss teams in the division.

Luckily, there is no chance that we will have that ridiculous OSU-Michigan title game that the absurd Leaders and Legends setup was designed to produce.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 29, 2011, 02:45:51 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 28, 2011, 05:41:56 PMThis is the dumbest single move in the history of college conferences.  May it lead to the death of the BCS.

I can see moving to the SEC.  At least the SEC allows their teams to promise scholarships that don't exist, so there is an advantage to joining.  But to jump ship to join a conference on the far side of the continent, with no compensating upside?  Madness.

I understand why it is all happening, but I hate that we're getting to this point. You have the ACC which was a traditional southern coastal conference that now goes from Boston (and maybe Connecticut, soon) to Pittsburgh down to the very tip of Florida. The SEC is going to range out to Missouri and Texas, the Big XII is essentially C-USA in terms of geographic spread as is the Big East if it survives (they're looking to add Boise, Air Force, Houston, SMU, Navy and UCF I believe.)

I hate the destruction of the traditional conferences, but I'm also at the point now, where if we really are going to end up with the 4 super conferences eventually I might just say fuck it and let some central body divide the country by strict geographic lines into 4 conferences each with 2 divisions and 16 teams total. Then anyone not a top-64 team, have a similar arrangement with 4 more conferences of a lower tier (Troy and UAB have to play somewhere.)

If you're going to basically shit on the memory of traditional College Football might as well do it in a way that makes sense. West Virginia in a conference where its closest foe is almost 900 miles away makes no sense. I'm still not even all that comfortable with Nebraska in the B1G but that pales in comparison. If Texas and OU had gone to the Pac-12 it having "Pac" in its name would be just as ludicrous as the ACC being known as the "Atlantic" Coast Conference.
Something like this would have made more sense I think geographically while still making financial sense for the winners.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Rasputin

Let me sum up the state of college football for you pessimists. This week opened with the university of miami of florida losing to an inferior geek school populated by douche bags. Seriously, has anyone here ever met someone from the university of virginia who wasnt a complete seeping douche bag?  Sure we have all heard stories that go " well i had this neighbor once whose nephew went to high school with this chick who dated a guy whose brother is a uva grad and the brother was an alright guy"  .  But ive yet to meet the guy who actually knew someone from uva that was anything other than a complete douche bag.

Florida choked away a 14 point lead to lose to georgia.

Finally fsu shut out an acc chump.

All is once again right in the college football world. 

If we applied this to presidential politics we can expect a liberal candidate from massachusetts to get creamed in the national election. This is why the republican primary voters must avaoid mitt.
Who is John Galt?

Admiral Yi

I worked once with a dude from UVA who was pretty cool.

grumbler

Quote from: Rasputin on October 30, 2011, 02:01:08 PM
Let me sum up the state of college football for you pessimists. This week opened with the university of miami of florida losing to an inferior geek school populated by douche bags. Seriously, has anyone here ever met someone from the university of virginia who wasnt a complete seeping douche bag?  Sure we have all heard stories that go " well i had this neighbor once whose nephew went to high school with this chick who dated a guy whose brother is a uva grad and the brother was an alright guy"  .  But ive yet to meet the guy who actually knew someone from uva that was anything other than a complete douche bag.

If we applied this to presidential politics we can expect a liberal candidate from massachusetts to get creamed in the national election. This is why the republican primary voters must avaoid mitt.
I agree that any weekend in which two of the scumbag Florida teams lose is good, the fact is that it isn't nearly as good as a weekend when all three lose.  Still, if one of them has to win, it is best that it is the insignificant one.  When was the last time anyone gave a rat's ass about FSU winning?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Luck needs to shave off that beard. He looks like either a southern meth head or a rapist.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 30, 2011, 04:08:14 PM
Luck needs to shave off that beard. He looks like either a southern meth head or a rapist.

Why can't he be both?  Don't limit the man.

dps

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 30, 2011, 04:22:59 PM

Why can't he be both?  Don't limit the man.

He's in Cali--being both would probably help him fit right in.

sbr

He's a college kid, I like the beard.  It better be gone by draft day though.

Admiral Yi

He reminds me a little of that dorky looking actor who was in The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

jimmy olsen

BCS standings

LSU
Alabama
Oklahoma State
Stanford
Boise State
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Oregon
South Carolina
Nebraska
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Uggh, Arizona loses another bizarro game to the Huskies.

Normally I would be all "Hey, WTF, who cares, basketball season is coming up!" but Arizona just lost an exhibition game to a D2 school. At home.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Rasputin

I wouldve thought that the loss to appalachian state wouldve made you forget about the embarassing loss um suffered at the hands of fsu in 91. I will concede that most um fans are decent folk but we both know its more fun to drink with. Spartans.
Quote from: grumbler on October 30, 2011, 02:10:48 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on October 30, 2011, 02:01:08 PM

I agree that any weekend in which two of the scumbag Florida teams lose is good, the fact is that it isn't nearly as good as a weekend when all three lose.  Still, if one of them has to win, it is best that it is the insignificant one.  When was the last time anyone gave a rat's ass about FSU winning?
Who is John Galt?

Syt

I think he looks more like a war criminal from Azerbaijan or so.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on October 31, 2011, 03:36:06 AM
I think he looks more like a war criminal from Azerbaijan or so.
:lol:  No kidding.  I think you hit the nail on the head.

Bayraktar!