News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

I'd rate Leach as a first-class football mind in a man who is temperamentally suited only to be a career assistant, but who also has an ego that won't let him take an assistant's job.  Most of his players love him, but some loath him.  You gotta figure that, in a career where even scum like Tressel had his players almost unanimously support him, the fact that some of Leach's players turned on him is a bad sign. 

He could be a good fit for 'Zona, though.  He recruits well, has very disciplined and sound teams, but innovates well so the crowds are pleased.  He does "fun football" so the fans will probably like him.  The administration, not so much.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Bob Stoops, by the way, can kiss my white ass.

What a douchebag.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

sbr

Quote from: Berkut on October 12, 2011, 10:50:08 PM

What a douchebag.

What, the be careful what job you pick or "or you'll end up like my brother"?   :D 

While it is true that not every job that appears to be a step up the career ladder is necessarily an upgrade, to imply that Arizona is some dead-end career-killing job is ludicrous.  With a good coach they have, and will continue to put together some very, very good teams.  Unfortunately they haven't had a very good coach in the last decade.

Berkut

Quote from: sbr on October 12, 2011, 11:29:51 PM

What a douchebag.

What, the be careful what job you pick or "or you'll end up like my brother"?   :D 

While it is true that not every job that appears to be a step up the career ladder is necessarily an upgrade, to imply that Arizona is some dead-end career-killing job is ludicrous.  With a good coach they have, and will continue to put together some very, very good teams.  Unfortunately they haven't had a very good coach in the last decade.

I can understand a little bit of anger over being fired mid-season, but what really pisses me off is the implication that somehow Arizona screwed Stoops.

Gee, you might end up like my brother?

Meaning $9 million dollars richer after being given eight years to build a program?

It's not like Arizona didn't give the guy a chance, or had crazy unrealistic expectations. He fucking lost 10 games in a row, most of them really, really, REALLY badly while acting like a lunatic on the sidelines!

The idea that Mike Stoops got screwed by Arizona is fucking preposterous.Stoops came in and got Arizona out of the cellar that Whackovich left it in, and made Arizona, maybe not respectable, but at least relevant. Then the wheels fell off the bus and it was clear he was not going to take Arizona to the next level. He had eight freaking years, and has an overall losing record, and a pretty poor Pac-10 winning percentage.

He had his chance.

0 rows returned

grumbler

Agree that Stoops had his chance, but I think Arizona fans/admins are going to have to decide whether they want to be a destination for grade-B coaches, or a stepping-stone for grade-A coaches.  The former will give a more consistent record, but at a lower level.  The latter will provide bursts of relevance but also very rocky patches.

In Big Ten terms, this would be the difference between Purdue, which is competitive but generally finishes mid-pack, or MSU, which hires the flavor of the week and wins some championships, but also sees the cellar a fair amount.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on October 13, 2011, 06:23:25 AM
Agree that Stoops had his chance, but I think Arizona fans/admins are going to have to decide whether they want to be a destination for grade-B coaches, or a stepping-stone for grade-A coaches.  The former will give a more consistent record, but at a lower level.  The latter will provide bursts of relevance but also very rocky patches.

In Big Ten terms, this would be the difference between Purdue, which is competitive but generally finishes mid-pack, or MSU, which hires the flavor of the week and wins some championships, but also sees the cellar a fair amount.

Nah, we just need to find the Lute Olson of football.

Some legendary coach who will win national titles but for some insane reason wants to live in Tucson for the rest of their lives.

I don't think that is asking for too much!

0 rows returned

Berkut

So the current buzz is Peterson.

Yeah, that would be really great....but why in the world would he come to Arizona? He turned down USC, I don't think it was because he was waiting for a better gig like the Arizona Wildcats....

0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on October 13, 2011, 07:38:53 AM

Yeah, that would be really great....but why in the world would he come to Arizona? He turned down USC, I don't think it was because he was waiting for a better gig like the Arizona Wildcats....

Peterson is never leaving TCU.  He is their Lute Olson.

Of course Leach is kind of a legendary coach who would be unlikely to ever leave Arizona no matter how successful he was...just saying.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

What a douchebag.

Stoops sorta wears his heart on his sleeve, like his brother.  You have to expect he is going to say something snarky to the media when he is upset about something just so he can feel better.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2011, 07:44:24 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 13, 2011, 07:38:53 AM

Peterson is never leaving TCU.  He is their Lute Olson.

Of course Leach is kind of a legendary coach who would be unlikely to ever leave Arizona no matter how successful he was...just saying.
Pssst, Petersen is the coach as Boise...not sure who Peterson is...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on October 13, 2011, 08:36:17 AM
Pssst, Petersen is the coach as Boise...not sure who Peterson is...

Ah crap I was thinking of Patterson.

Well same for Petersen :P

derspiess

I'm taking a couple Argentines (brother in law & father in law) to their first college football game Saturday-- Louisville at Cincinnati.  It will probably confuse the shit out of them that they'll be going to an NFL game in the same stadium the very next day and that both home teams are Cincinnati.

But at least it won't be at the crappy stadium on UC's campus.  Nippert has a serious lack of bathroom facilities.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on October 12, 2011, 11:43:45 PM
Quote from: sbr on October 12, 2011, 11:29:51 PM

What a douchebag.

What, the be careful what job you pick or "or you'll end up like my brother"?   :D 

I can understand a little bit of anger over being fired mid-season, but what really pisses me off is the implication that somehow Arizona screwed Stoops.

Gee, you might end up like my brother?

Meaning $9 million dollars richer after being given eight years to build a program?

It's not like Arizona didn't give the guy a chance, or had crazy unrealistic expectations. He fucking lost 10 games in a row, most of them really, really, REALLY badly while acting like a lunatic on the sidelines!

The idea that Mike Stoops got screwed by Arizona is fucking preposterous.Stoops came in and got Arizona out of the cellar that Whackovich left it in, and made Arizona, maybe not respectable, but at least relevant. Then the wheels fell off the bus and it was clear he was not going to take Arizona to the next level. He had eight freaking years, and has an overall losing record, and a pretty poor Pac-10 winning percentage.

He had his chance.

Can you blame a guy for sticking up for his brother though?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2011, 09:37:04 AM
Can you blame a guy for sticking up for his brother though?

Stoops says stuff like this literally all the time, it is part of his charm.  If it was just this one time because of fraternal love that would be one thing.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 13, 2011, 09:28:32 AM
I'm taking a couple Argentines (brother in law & father in law) to their first college football game Saturday-- Louisville at Cincinnati.  It will probably confuse the shit out of them that they'll be going to an NFL game in the same stadium the very next day and that both home teams are Cincinnati.

But at least it won't be at the crappy stadium on UC's campus.  Nippert has a serious lack of bathroom facilities.

I took some of my French friends to a UT-Stanford game back in the 90s.  They were utterly perplexed despite my best efforts to explain to them.  They thought it was boring as hell, the game lasted like three times as long as a soccer game and everybody kept stopping every couple seconds.