News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2011, 09:40:01 AMme back in the 90s.  They were utterly perplexed despite my best efforts to explain to them.  They thought it was boring as hell, the game lasted like three times as long as a soccer game and everybody kept stopping every couple seconds.

That's why they like basketball. They like the tactics but not the strategy.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2011, 09:40:01 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 13, 2011, 09:28:32 AM
I'm taking a couple Argentines (brother in law & father in law) to their first college football game Saturday-- Louisville at Cincinnati.  It will probably confuse the shit out of them that they'll be going to an NFL game in the same stadium the very next day and that both home teams are Cincinnati.

But at least it won't be at the crappy stadium on UC's campus.  Nippert has a serious lack of bathroom facilities.

I took some of my French friends to a UT-Stanford game back in the 90s.  They were utterly perplexed despite my best efforts to explain to them.  They thought it was boring as hell, the game lasted like three times as long as a soccer game and everybody kept stopping every couple seconds.

My brother took his future Brazilian brother-in-law to a CFL game.  He said he seemed to enjoy it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2011, 11:39:23 AM
My brother took his future Brazilian brother-in-law to a CFL game.  He said he seemed to enjoy it.

I also had some Turks over to watch the Texas-OU game in 2003.  Since it was on TV they mostly did other stuff but even they realized Oklahoma was destroying Texas.

Maybe South Americans might like it more.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

I wanted to take my friend Aimee to an Ohio State game. But frankly, I wouldn't want her exposed to the rabid drunken fanbase in the parking lot.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2011, 09:40:01 AM
I took some of my French friends to a UT-Stanford game back in the 90s.  They were utterly perplexed despite my best efforts to explain to them.  They thought it was boring as hell, the game lasted like three times as long as a soccer game and everybody kept stopping every couple seconds.

I made my brother in law watch a few college/NFL games on TV with me and also gave him a tour of Paul Brown Stadium, which he really seemed to like.  So he shouldn't be too clueless.  I wish I could do better than the bland/generic UC home game experience, though. They have the Bearcat mascot and shoot a cannon when they score a TD, woo-hoo.

Something like Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Florida State, etc. would be awesome.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2011, 11:49:21 AM
I also had some Turks over to watch the Texas-OU game in 2003.  Since it was on TV they mostly did other stuff but even they realized Oklahoma was destroying Texas.

Maybe South Americans might like it more.

He's a big rugby fan, so I keep relating football to rugby.  Plus, I've also been watching baseball almost every night since he's been in and he's been subjected to that.  So maybe he'd at least be thankful I can't drag him to a baseball game :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2011, 09:37:04 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 12, 2011, 11:43:45 PM
Quote from: sbr on October 12, 2011, 11:29:51 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 12, 2011, 10:50:08 PM
Bob Stoops, by the way, can kiss my white ass.

What a douchebag.

What, the be careful what job you pick or "or you'll end up like my brother"?   :D 

While it is true that not every job that appears to be a step up the career ladder is necessarily an upgrade, to imply that Arizona is some dead-end career-killing job is ludicrous.  With a good coach they have, and will continue to put together some very, very good teams.  Unfortunately they haven't had a very good coach in the last decade.

I can understand a little bit of anger over being fired mid-season, but what really pisses me off is the implication that somehow Arizona screwed Stoops.

Gee, you might end up like my brother?

Meaning $9 million dollars richer after being given eight years to build a program?

It's not like Arizona didn't give the guy a chance, or had crazy unrealistic expectations. He fucking lost 10 games in a row, most of them really, really, REALLY badly while acting like a lunatic on the sidelines!

The idea that Mike Stoops got screwed by Arizona is fucking preposterous.Stoops came in and got Arizona out of the cellar that Whackovich left it in, and made Arizona, maybe not respectable, but at least relevant. Then the wheels fell off the bus and it was clear he was not going to take Arizona to the next level. He had eight freaking years, and has an overall losing record, and a pretty poor Pac-10 winning percentage.

He had his chance.

Can you blame a guy for sticking up for his brother though?

Yes. Sometimes "sticking up for your brother" involves recognizing that he got a perfectly good deal at Arizona, and maybe saying nothing at all is the best move, rather than bad mouthing the place that just turned your brother into a fucking millionaire.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

I hope Ohio State doesn't try to pickup the defective Stoops brother because he is an Ohio boy.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 13, 2011, 02:23:09 PM
I hope Ohio State doesn't try to pickup the defective Stoops brother because he is an Ohio boy.

Most coaches are Ohio Boys.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Whatever they do, they better keep Vrabel. Ohio State needs his Belicheat cheat codes.

MadBurgerMaker

Lane Kiffin with the tardtastic play call on 4th down.  Kick the field goal, douchebag.

Berkut

This is kind of interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZaOFTp5_C8&feature=player_embedded

I am pretty torn on the idea of Leach. He really does seem like a bit of a sleazeball.

And from a football standpoint, I wonder if he would continue to succeed - much of his success at TT was based on his being one of the frontrunners of the spread offense. That isn't some new fangled hard to defend offense anymore.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

Leach is definitely a dick, but Arizona would be a pretty good place to install his offense IMO. 

As far as his offense goes, it's not really used all that much right now that I can think of.  Houston and....that's all I got.  Missouri?  TTU still does to a certain extent, I guess, but AFAIK, it's...not.....the same.  If you include the run and shoot with the air raid (they're similar), there's SMU in there too.   What does Hawaii run now? 

Anyway, it doesn't seem to be particularly easy to defend when there's at least some talent and depth on the team, which Arizona has and can continue to get.  Wouldn't be too painful at all to change what Arizona runs right now (it's a pass heavy-ish spread, right?) into the Leach system either. 

Edit:  Oklahoma State runs a version of the air raid as well, and WVU probably does now too with Holgorsen there.  I haven't seen WVU play at all though.

E2:  Looked at Hawaii's roster:  No TE's, so they're most likely still run and shoot.

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 13, 2011, 10:28:43 PM
Edit:  Oklahoma State runs a version of the air raid as well, and WVU probably does now too with Holgorsen there.  I haven't seen WVU play at all though.

They do, and they run it really well-- though unfortunately only for a quarter or half each game.  In the game against Bowling Green they had to run the ball quite a bit to win, but otherwise it's been air raid.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on October 13, 2011, 11:11:23 PM
They do, and they run it really well-- though unfortunately only for a quarter or half each game.  In the game against Bowling Green they had to run the ball quite a bit to win, but otherwise it's been air raid.

A quarter or half each game?  Are they a little inconsistent, or are they just blowing everyone out (or both)?