News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on October 10, 2011, 09:42:20 PM
I smell Mike Leach.  That could get interesting!

Yeah that is exactly who I was thinking as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on October 10, 2011, 10:47:36 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 10, 2011, 10:37:20 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 10, 2011, 06:44:38 PM
They inducted a Wyoming alum into the Edmonton Eskimos ring of honor tonight.

What a shame the Eskies actually won tonight, eh Neil? :P
They deserved to win.  I was actually at the game, and it was ugly.  Dinwittie is useless, and if you can't protect, you can't stretch the field and you can't win.

:o

You actually attended a CFL game? :o

Plans are in motion to attend this Saturdays game.  You can guess who the visitors are...  :cool:

I don't suppose you'd want to come?  It'd be me, my brother, and my wife?

Edit: And I love him so very, very much, but thank God it means we have babysitting in place for baby Tim.  :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 10, 2011, 08:17:39 PM
Oh and Bruce Feldman is saying Mike Stoops has been fired at Arizona.  I hear Greg Davis is available.
I wonder who Arizona thinks they are going to get that will be better.  Stoops was a .500 coach at a school that should be pretty happy when they are over .500 and not to concerned if they go below .500 for a  while. 

I have heard multiple people, whose opinion I trust, call Mike Stoops one of the worst in-game coaches in the country.  I also heard talk of an impeding mutiny, that was not from as trusted a source and could very well be nonsense; though his screaming and rant and raving on the sidelines has to be old news for the players by now.  I can't imagine they listen to much he has to say anymore.

I don't think it would be very hard to find a coach that is at least as good as Stoops, an insufferable asshole who is a poor game manager shouldn't be that hard to replace.

Berkut

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 10, 2011, 08:17:39 PM
Oh and Bruce Feldman is saying Mike Stoops has been fired at Arizona.  I hear Greg Davis is available.
I wonder who Arizona thinks they are going to get that will be better.  Stoops was a .500 coach at a school that should be pretty happy when they are over .500 and not to concerned if they go below .500 for a  while. 

That has always been my argument in regards to Arizona football. Stoops may not be awesome, but Arizona is a basketball school, and has facilities that are grossly out of date when it comes to football. While they are doing some things to address it, it feels pretty much like we are improving from a '80s era to the 90s era, while everyone else is trucking into the future.

However....I am glad Stoops is gone. He took Arizona as far as he could, and it was clear he was not going to take Arizona any further. His sideline antics were embarrassing, and his inability to recruit at even an average Pac-12 level meant he would never have Arizona contending for even a conference title.

Can Arizona bring in someone better? I dunno. But I do know there was no chance of getting someone better while Stoops was still here. Once the Cats fell apart against OSU, there was no way he was going to stay. Surprised at the timing though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

stjaba

Quote from: Valmy on October 10, 2011, 11:05:56 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 10, 2011, 07:43:56 AM
Dunno why Florida was in the top 25 in the preseason poll.  It wasn't very good last year, and doesn't look good this year.

I don't think you can judge UF just on getting crushed by Bama and LSU.  Those schools are going to run over alot of people before this season is over.

Exactly. Plus, UF had to start a 2nd string true freshman QB for half of the Alabama, and a 3rd string true freshman QB for the whole LSU game.

By the end of the year, UF will probably be a 9-4 team, ranked in the upper 20s, which is about right.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: stjaba on October 11, 2011, 08:10:04 AM
By the end of the year, UF will probably be a 9-4 team, ranked in the upper 20s, which is about right.

Beat South Carolina plz.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Berkut

So there is still quite a bit of noise about Mike Leach. Can anyone enlighten me on what the deal is with him and the controversy/baggage that got him fired? Was he eventually exonerated on it, or what?

0 rows returned

Berkut

BY enlighten me, I mean anything that you might know that is not in his wiki article, for example, which I've already read...

0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on October 12, 2011, 07:55:37 AM
BY enlighten me, I mean anything that you might know that is not in his wiki article, for example, which I've already read...

Well I think he just consistently offended the dignity of Texas football (I mean the state of Texas here obviously) and how seriously we take it and the decorum a football coach is supposed to carry himself with.  He really did not give a damn about the administration or the boosters and all the people who mattered.  Egos were bruised so despite him winning at a remarkable clip they were looking for any opportunity to dump the guy.  Also he tried to flee Texas Tech at every opportunity but his reputation for insubordination and being a jerk preceded him wherever he interviewed.

Basically it was political but in a place where football is the #2 sport, like Arizona, he might do very well.

I think the ultimate reason they canned him was a bunch of bullshit but it does display Leach's skills at pissing off the wrong people.  That was not exactly what you asked for I know but that is my view.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on October 12, 2011, 08:03:23 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 12, 2011, 07:55:37 AM

Well I think he just consistently offended the dignity of Texas football (I mean the state of Texas here obviously) and how seriously we take it and the decorum a football coach is supposed to carry himself with.  He really did not give a damn about the administration or the boosters and all the people who mattered.  Egos were bruised so despite him winning at a remarkable clip they were looking for any opportunity to dump the guy.  Also he tried to flee Texas Tech at every opportunity but his reputation for insubordination and being a jerk preceded him wherever he interviewed.

Basically it was political but in a place where football is the #2 sport, like Arizona, he might do very well.

I think the ultimate reason they canned him was a bunch of bullshit but it does display Leach's skills at pissing off the wrong people.  That was not exactly what you asked for I know but that is my view.

Actually that is pretty much exactly what I was looking for...I didn't follow the story really when it happened, so was not really sure how someone that successful could get fired on what seems like kind of bullshit stuff.

He seems like he could be a good fit, but at the same time Byrne and the President at Arizona really care a LOT about doing things the "right" way. Not sure if Leach's baggage might not just exclude him from consideration altogether. But absent that baggage, he would be perfect for Arizona it seems. Texas connections are critical to our ability to recruit successfully.

0 rows returned

PDH

He is from Wyoming, so he must be great.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Quote from: PDH on October 12, 2011, 08:40:24 AM
He is from Wyoming, so he must be great.

Darth Cheney agrees.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Cheney was born in Nebraska :(
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM