Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 07, 2014, 12:41:35 AM
Quote from: katmai on November 06, 2014, 10:00:51 PM
Ide is gonna hate it.

Needs more long takes and better costume design.

You joke, but this is in fact entirely the case, as one of its most important scenes is rendered merely good instead of outstanding when--just when you think it's in it for the long haul--Nolan decides it's time for unbelievably tone-deaf cut.  And there's a part [spoiler]in the utopian future of the film's avoided dystopian future[/spoiler] where some nameless three-line extra is wearing an evidently off-the-rack suit from J.C. Penney.  Something I also wear when necessary, but I'm a failed lawyer in 2014, not a gosh darned [spoiler]space colonist.[/spoiler]

Overall, however, it's very good, but for me a little disappointing: for the first time in fifteen years, Nolan's made a non-Batman movie clumsier than his best Batman movie.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

citizen k

Have you seen "Following" and if so, your thoughts?

Syt

Hedy Lamarr is getting an honorary grave on Vienna's main cemetery! :w00t:

I shall celebrate by watching Blazing Saddles this weekend.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

One final Fleisher cartoon - pre-Boop.

This one is, if possible, even more bizzare and horrific than Bimbo's Initiation - gaze upon the terror that is Swing you sinners!, in which poor Bimbo discovers the hard way that the universe he inhabits truly lacks a loving and forgiving God.  :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b8isnhYMjg
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DontSayBanana

Finally catching up on Arrow, which is back to being my favorite show.

Any show that can manage to work in the line "It is pitch black.  You are likely to be eaten by a grue." absolutely wins in my book.
Experience bij!

The Brain

Letters from Iwo Jima. Certainly better than Flags of our Fathers, but it has some issues.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 07, 2014, 10:23:36 AM
Finally catching up on Arrow, which is back to being my favorite show.

Any show that can manage to work in the line "It is pitch black.  You are likely to be eaten by a grue." absolutely wins in my book.

I worked my way through season 2. Entertaining and liked it. They could tone down the angst a little.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Bullitt. Manly entertainment.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

I tried the first episode of the flash. It hurt my head.
That a dhow can be a spin off of and see arrow as the bigger and established show... The mind boggles
██████
██████
██████

Scipio

Oh, God. Tyr. You can stop any time you want...
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 07, 2014, 08:07:13 PM
Bullitt. Manly entertainment.

I was watching bits of that the other day on TCM.  McQueen in that and Damian Lewis (Winters from Band of Brothers) could be identical twins.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Scipio on November 07, 2014, 08:29:28 PM
Oh, God. Tyr. You can stop any time you want...

He's right though. Flash was always better known, he was a key player in the Superfriends cartoon and everything.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

No, I meant he could stop typing.

Jesus. Spellcheck is free.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ideologue

Quote from: citizen k on November 07, 2014, 03:13:00 AM
Have you seen "Following" and if so, your thoughts?

First part is "not yet," and will have to answer at some point in the near future, like the next 24 hours, since I've been intending on watching Following and now am a little obliged to.

Right now I just wanted to ask if Cel has any colorful anecdotes about Nacho Vigalondo's Open Windows.  He's hooked into that whole scene.  Anyone on that project owe you money? :P

The actual question is if this is becoming a big thing in Spain (and perhaps Europe generally), "this" being neo-classicist Hitchcock/De Palma-inspired thrillers, or if it's just kind of coincidence that Maniac, Grand Piano, and Open Windows were all made around the same time.  (I'm including Maniac, even though it's a French film, and a remake, for its clear line of descent from Psycho and the participation of Elijah Wood; I'm aware stretching a bit to get to three.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)