News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

I have not seen Interstellar.

My impression of Chistopher Nolan is that he is much better a directing scenes than he is at directing movies. His best movies (Inception, The Prestige and Memento) are movies where the audience doesn't know what is going on during the film or where the scenes don't really need to connect to each other. In The Dark Knight he had a solid story to hang his scenes on, Batman Begins and Dark Knight Rises are films where he tries to contort the story (to it's detriment) to fit around his scenes.

This works in Memento because it is backwards, it works in Inception because dis-connected scenes are the plot and it works in The Prestige because we don't know what is going on.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Hmm, Prestige must have completely pass me by. Is it worth watching? The trailer looks interesting and I am looking for an entertaining flick to watch today, as we have a public holiday.

celedhring

I personally think Prestige is one of Nolan's weakest - but that still makes it an ok film.

Martinus

Well, I like Michael Caine, court drama and Victorian/Edwardian suspense. :P

Speaking of the latter, Penny Dreadful is now on HBO GO in case anyone missed it. I am rewatching it and still find it fun.

katmai

Penny dreadful is on HBOgo overseas?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Batman Begins is ridiculous.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

http://www.geek.com/geek-cetera/doctor-doom-changed-to-antisocial-blogger-in-fantastic-four-movie-1609156/

QuoteThere hasn't been much news about the new Fantastic Four movie — the only big news we really know is that Johnny Storm will be played by Michael B. Jordan, and thus has been race-swapped, which is fine because Jordan is pretty good at that whole acting thing. Toby Kebbell will be playing Doctor Doom in the upcoming film, but it has been revealed in an interview with the actor that the Fantastic Four's nemesis will be undergoing a much more drastic makeover than the Human Torch.

First off, his name is a little more believable in the real world — he's now Victor Domashev, as opposed to the corny Victor von Doom. Domashev is employed as a "very anti-social" programmer, but on blogging sites, his internet persona is "Doom." So, we can probably assume that somewhere along the way, Domashev is going to transform into his online persona. Considering he's an anti-social programmer, it's probably also safe to assume that he's no longer the leader of fictional country Latveria. We wouldn't be too surprised if the movie named his blog something related to the comic villain's home country.

:bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on November 11, 2014, 12:20:41 PM
which is fine because Jordan is pretty good at that whole acting thing.

Indeed, I'm convinced he wears Hanes and eats McDonalds.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: katmai on November 11, 2014, 05:59:50 AM

Yeah, right now. I watched it some time ago on... shall we say, a special website, but it just premiered on HBO in Poland.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on November 11, 2014, 01:25:33 PM
Quote from: katmai on November 11, 2014, 05:59:50 AM

Yeah, right now. I watched it some time ago on... shall we say, a special website, but it just premiered on HBO in Poland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOSZwEwl_1Q

Martinus

Ok I enjoyed "Prestige". Perhaps too much explaining at the end but still enjoyable.

mongers

Quote from: Martinus on November 11, 2014, 04:59:57 AM
Hmm, Prestige must have completely pass me by. Is it worth watching? The trailer looks interesting and I am looking for an entertaining flick to watch today, as we have a public holiday.

The book's worth a read.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Eddie Teach

Batman Begins is ridiculous in the sense that all superhero comic book movies are ridiculous.

Personally, I liked it better than Dark Knight Rises.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?