News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on November 04, 2014, 02:00:59 PM
I hear Agents of Shield is good now? I quit halfway season 1.

Just as it started to get better.  :lol: I'm slowly catching up on it, as I had also quit around that point.

Josquius

Grabbers- Aliens attack a small Irish town and try to eat everyone. It turns out the aliens are allergic to alcohol. Yet they chose Ireland to invade. Hilarity ensues.
██████
██████
██████

Sophie Scholl

Managed to nab The Adventures Of Brisco County, Jr. for $12 the other day.  I loved that show more than The X-Files when they aired back-to-back. :alberta:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on November 04, 2014, 04:19:00 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2014, 04:04:25 PM
The ones I saw were "Old Man of the Mountain" (very rape-y - the Old Man is depicted as raping anything that moves, including a sad hippo with three "old man" babies - he chases Betty and rips off Betty's clothes, but she gets them back and avoids his advances); "Red Hot Mama"; one where Betty was sexually assaulted by a circus manager and saved by the clown before the manager could "take her Boop-a-Doop away" (needless to say, rape-y  ;) ); and one where Betty runs away from home with her dog-boyfriend, only to be scared back home by a jazz walrus.

Will check out "Snow White".

I've seen "Red Hot Mamma," and I think I've seen that last one too; but I don't remember what it's called.  I'll check out "Old Man of the Mountain."

"Bimbo" is the name of her dog-boyfriend.  He had a very short run, as Wikipedia explains:

He appeared in Fleischer cartoons from 1930 to 1933, when he was eliminated from Betty's series by the Production Code censorship laws, since a dog with a human girlfriend gave implications of bestiality.

:o :o :o

"Snow White" features Cab Calloway singing "St. James Infirmary Blues."  Cab is rotoscoped in as Koko (though with some astounding changes); if you watch closely you can see him do the moonwalk.

Hell, in "Old Man of the Mountain" they more than imply beastiality: you see a hippo-woman sobbing as she wheels her babies away from the rampaging "Old Man" - and they are clearly his offspring! (they have "old man" beards!)

Anyway, wasn't Betty originally a poodle?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on November 04, 2014, 05:22:41 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 04, 2014, 02:00:59 PM
I hear Agents of Shield is good now? I quit halfway season 1.

Just as it started to get better.  :lol: I'm slowly catching up on it, as I had also quit around that point.

I will try to catch up then.

Sheilbh

Hunger Games Catching Fire :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2014, 06:46:58 PM
Hunger Games Catching Fire :w00t:

I'm not looking forward to being required to watch the next one with the fam for thanksgiving.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

So the waitress from The Blob got me thinking: what do actors that don't get steady gigs do with their time.  Now, Candy Cane had more roles than I new about--for example she was in David Bowie Falls to Earth, but how about people like Fred Munster and Noonan from Caddy Shack?  What do they do for 20 years between jobs?

Eddie Teach

Nowadays they can do reality shows or youtube.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2014, 07:07:16 PM
but how about people like Fred Munster and Noonan from Caddy Shack?  What do they do for 20 years between jobs?

Fred Gwynne bought a farm up the road, did voiceover work, watched a wife die, painted and wrote children's books.

celedhring

So the waitress from The Blob got me thinking: what do actors that don't get steady gigs do with their time.  Now, Candy Cane had more roles than I new about--for example she was in David Bowie Falls to Earth, but how about people like Fred Munster and Noonan from Caddy Shack?  What do they do for 20 years between jobs?

Commercials, theater... a lot just have regular jobs.

Some manage to teach, too. There's this guy I had as acting teacher in NYC that managed to audition both for Mozart in Amadeus and Kyle Reese in T1, and lost both; it was hilarious how spiteful he still was about it, claiming he'd have done a better job. He only had a few credits in movies nobody's seen, yet he had managed to get a cushy job as acting teacher in Columbia.

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2014, 05:54:13 PM
Hell, in "Old Man of the Mountain" they more than imply beastiality: you see a hippo-woman sobbing as she wheels her babies away from the rampaging "Old Man" - and they are clearly his offspring! (they have "old man" beards!)

Anyway, wasn't Betty originally a poodle?

I guess she was; I didn't know that:

It looks like I haven't seen any of her early cartoons.  I also learned she was based on Helen Kane, not, as I had thought, Clara Bow.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

11B4V

Watched Maleficent with the kid tonite. B-

Jolie did a good job. Some great lines.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josephus

I often wonder about things like...bass players from 80s pop bands...what are they doing now?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Scipio

Quote from: Josephus on November 04, 2014, 10:54:34 PM

I often wonder about things like...bass players from 80s pop bands...what are they doing now?
Session musicians, the lot of them. Except Sting.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt