And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 03, 2014, 04:55:18 PM
Easier to buy than the same claim by 11B.  :lol:

Sorry, never seen Mad Men. Unsure what claim you mean.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 01, 2014, 02:44:14 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2014, 02:21:15 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2014, 02:19:32 PM
Is Battle:LA enjoyable as a popcorn flick? It got awful reviews but surely you can't fuck up aliens destroying LA that badly.

It won't make you want to gouge your eyes out.

I thought it was pretty good.  :sleep:

Horrid. Each to his own.

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 03, 2014, 02:47:33 PM
As did I.  Apparently the Marines were heavily involved in making the movie, so the actions on the on-screen Marines are much more realistic than in most of these movies and it kinda feels like a recruiting spot for the Marines at times. :P

Better that than The Pacific or Docs on Phantom Fury..eh.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: 11B4V on November 03, 2014, 05:00:07 PM

The one about landing every chick you ever set your cap on.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 03, 2014, 05:17:52 PM

The one about landing every chick you ever set your cap on.

??

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 03, 2014, 04:47:38 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 03, 2014, 03:44:51 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on November 02, 2014, 10:12:08 PM
TWD, what a weird episode.
[spoiler]Yeah. The villains aren't really all that villainy (except the apparently good doctor). Which is a nice change.[/spoiler]

:huh:
[spoiler]
They are running an indentured servant dystopia where the good doctor arranges for another doctor to be killed so he cant be replaced.  [/spoiler]
[spoiler]As I said, except for the doctor.
The whole setup they've got there.... it really isn't outright evil. They're not cannibals, they're not murdering soldiers to try and keep power and performing odd experiments on walkers.
They're the most ambiguous major villains we've had. As you say more of a dystopia than bad, bad, bad.[/spoiler]
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on November 03, 2014, 03:43:22 PM
Oh yeah, I also watched The Wicker Man 74 (A) and The Haunting (B+, A+ cinematography, but Marty Scorsese? Turns out he's a puss).

See the classic Nick Cage version.

Not the bees!!!!  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

The original Wicker Man gets a lot of deference, but there's a lot of unintentional hilarity in it too, to be frank. Naked Britt Ekland is truly hot, but that scene is a huge WTF :D

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 03, 2014, 04:55:18 PM
Easier to buy than the same claim by 11B.  :lol:

The claim Berkut just made about a character in the show in the post PW was responding to.  That he gets every woman he comes across.  So...that true for you?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on November 03, 2014, 03:19:38 AM
Crossover with another blogger, I did some old slasher movies, and it was fun:

He uses less comma splices.

Black Christmas (1974).  The real genesis of the modern slasher film, not the inferior Halloween.  Sorority girls are terrorized by CDM.  Police procedural elements mix with horror movie tropes, and it's pretty damned good.  A young Margot Kidder sighted and ogled.  Olivia Hussey is the Final Girl.  Features a great, depressing twist and the line, delivered by Ms. Kidder: "Darling, you can't rape a townie."  B+

You mention that walking lollipop, but you fail to mention Dave Bowman?  Some Kubrick fan you are.

Malthus

Just for fun, was watching some early Betty Boop shorts on Youtube.

In the first two I saw, the humour mostly derived from (1) surrealism; (2) Jazz; (3) drug references; and (4) attempted rape.   ;)

I can see why the censors in the 30s had a problem with this ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Dragged myself up to episode 6 of Leftovers. I liked episode 6.

Seems to me these "one shot" episodes centered on supporting characters are the best; might be because I find the central conflict really dull.

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on November 03, 2014, 05:59:17 PM
The original Wicker Man gets a lot of deference, but there's a lot of unintentional hilarity in it too, to be frank. Naked Britt Ekland is truly hot, but that scene is a huge WTF :D

It's my new favorite horror musical. :D

Oh, Mal, I've seen the remake. "HOWDITGETBURNED?"

Money: I wasn't male gazing at Keir Dullea, though to his credit he is appropriately 1970s fit and thin.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 23, 2013, 09:35:21 PM
I have some movie recommendations for you from the '80s, Ide.  Can't remember if I sent them your way before.

Brainstorm with Christopher Walken, Natalie Wood (in her last film), Louise Fletcher, and Cliff Robertson.  I may have recommended it to you once before, but it's a bit ahead of its time. 
Gloria, 1980--the original one.  Gena Rowland rocks in it.  A John Cassavettes production.
In light of your recent John Frankenheimer kick, two with Roy Scheider: 52 Pick Up with a fucked up Clarence Williams III, and The Fourth War, where Roy Scheider and Jurgen Proctnow fuck with each other on the Czech border at the end of the Cold War.

Ide, instead of burning what few Millennial brain cells you have left, have you followed up on any of these?

Brainstorm is just begging for your review.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on November 03, 2014, 05:59:17 PM
I find that with 90% of British films from the 70s. Something happened.

Apropos of nothing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN_g2aHK878
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

52 Pick.Up is def in.my Netflix queue.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)