And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

A Most Wanted Man: C+  plodding

Watched the first five episode of Arrow...meh
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

Quote from: lustindarkness on November 01, 2014, 03:51:13 PM
Are you guys telling me that Lincoln Vampire Hunter is not historial accurate?  :(

To be honest, the only fun bits was when they took high profile historical events and threw in a ludicrous trashy spin into it; like the CSA using vampires at Gettysburg.

Admiral Yi

I'm kind of surprised you thought it was worth a look.

Martinus

I watched Maleficent this evening. I liked it. But then I like feminist revisionist fantasy.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2014, 04:16:24 PM
I'm kind of surprised you thought it was worth a look.

Me? We chose it as "trashy movie to watch when we're all drunk at a Halloween party".

celedhring

Quote from: Martinus on November 01, 2014, 04:24:02 PM
I watched Maleficent this evening. I liked it. But then I like feminist revisionist fantasy.

To be honest I didn't think it was all that bad either; it's probably the best of all those epic remakes of classic fantasy tales (Alice in Wonderland, Oz, Snow White and the Huntsman, Red Riding Hood) that are popping up lately.

The whole feminist message is hilariously exaggerated though; there's not a single man in that story that isn't either evil or an idiot.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2014, 04:24:14 PM
Me? We chose it as "trashy movie to watch when we're all drunk at a Halloween party".

I understand that.  But the premise looked too retarded to work even on those terms.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2014, 04:26:52 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2014, 04:24:14 PM

I understand that.  But the premise looked too retarded to work even on those terms.

Now I know. We were foolish. I was looking for a silly trashy film to close out the night and the ACW thread on here inspired me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2014, 04:12:48 PM
like the CSA using vampires at Gettysburg.

It was about Stakes' Rights.  Nyuk.

celedhring

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2014, 04:33:31 PM

You should have written the script.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2014, 04:35:58 PM

I was doing the final edit work on "Katmai, KFC Bucket Slayer."

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2014, 04:26:34 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 01, 2014, 04:24:02 PM

To be honest I didn't think it was all that bad either; it's probably the best of all those epic remakes of classic fantasy tales (Alice in Wonderland, Oz, Snow White and the Huntsman, Red Riding Hood) that are popping up lately.

The whole feminist message is hilariously exaggerated though; there's not a single man in that story that isn't either evil or an idiot.

I thought Snow White was way better, not least because it's not really that revisionist, it just overlays some cosmetic Strong Female Character stuff onto the story.  Of course, it's better mostly because Charlize Theron's so bonkers in it.

After the first half hour, Maleficent is the most milquetoast possible version of itself, horrifically revisionist without having more than a thimblefull of feminism, and I kind of hated it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

I thought Huntsman depended far too much on the fascination of the viewer with watching Kristen Stewart riding a horse and looking grim.

On the subject of Kristen Stewart however, she did look quite fetching in her boxers in that flick about the space traveling house.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2014, 06:08:24 PM
I thought Huntsman depended far too much on the fascination of the viewer with watching Kristen Stewart riding a horse and looking grim.

On the subject of Kristen Stewart however, she did look quite fetching in her boxers in that flick about the space traveling house.

Zathura. I remember watching it for the first time and thinking the sister character was quite hot, then watching the film again several years later (after the Twilight films had already came out) and realizing; "Oh, it's Kristen Stewart!".

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2014, 04:41:23 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2014, 04:35:58 PM

I was doing the final edit work on "Katmai, KFC Bucket Slayer."
better stick to your day job....oh wait.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son