Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

KFC Bucket Slayer III: Tuesday 2.99 Chicken Fried Steak Night
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2014, 06:29:52 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2014, 06:08:24 PM
I thought Huntsman depended far too much on the fascination of the viewer with watching Kristen Stewart riding a horse and looking grim.

On the subject of Kristen Stewart however, she did look quite fetching in her boxers in that flick about the space traveling house.

Zathura. I remember watching it for the first time and thinking the sister character was quite hot, then watching the film again several years later (after the Twilight films had already came out) and realizing; "Oh, it's Kristen Stewart!".

Siegebreaker thought the exact same thing, except he was watching Panic Room.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Kleves

Fury. A frustrating movie. I really liked a lot of it - [spoiler]the Tiger battle was awesome [/spoiler] - but the ending just went completely off the rails.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Kleves

Also, I just watched an episode of Girls und Panzer. It makes for an... interesting contrast with Fury.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Ideologue

Quote from: Kleves on November 01, 2014, 08:05:27 PM
Fury. A frustrating movie. I really liked a lot of it - [spoiler]the Tiger battle was awesome [/spoiler] - but the ending just went completely off the rails.

You probably missed the point of the movie, then.  You should probably take a knee with Berkut, who is our resident Fury Expert.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

In honor of All Saint's Day I watched "Murder in the Cathedral" (1951) :pope::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FumkQY7T3Z0

It's like the college repertory theater version of TS Eliot's play; a valiant effort, but not a professional piece.  It's and not really a film either, or even a filmed play.  It's more of a filmed recitation of poetry; but what poetry.  I think this is some of the later Eliot's finest verse.

Eliot himself is the voice of the fourth tempter.  The extant version is pared down a bit, and they miss the final chorus of the tempters:

Man's life is a cheat and a disappointment;
All things are unreal,
Unreal or disappointing,
The Catherine wheel, the pantomime cat,
The prizes given at at the children's party,
The prize awarded for the English Essay,
The scholar's degree, the statesman's decoration.
All things become less real, man passes
From unreality to unreality.
This man is obstinate, blind, intent
On self-destruction,
Passing from deception to deception,
From grandeur to grandeur to final illusion,
Lost in the wonder of his own greatness,
The enemy of society, enemy of himself
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Kleves

Quote from: Ideologue on November 01, 2014, 08:28:56 PM
You probably missed the point of the movie, then.  You should probably take a knee with Berkut, who is our resident Fury Expert.
Kind of disappointing as well that [spoiler]a movie that goes out of its way in the beginning to talk about how American tankss are outclassed in combat against German tanks includes a grand total total of one German tank and one tank battle in the entire movie.[/spoiler]

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on November 01, 2014, 07:20:51 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2014, 06:29:52 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 01, 2014, 06:08:24 PM
I thought Huntsman depended far too much on the fascination of the viewer with watching Kristen Stewart riding a horse and looking grim.

On the subject of Kristen Stewart however, she did look quite fetching in her boxers in that flick about the space traveling house.

Zathura. I remember watching it for the first time and thinking the sister character was quite hot, then watching the film again several years later (after the Twilight films had already came out) and realizing; "Oh, it's Kristen Stewart!".

Siegebreaker thought the exact same thing, except he was watching Panic Room.

Shit, I just made the math and I retrospectively fail the Dirty Old Man rule for her in Zathura.

Admiral Yi

Dirty Old Man rule is for fucking, not for looking.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 02, 2014, 04:57:36 AM
Dirty Old Man rule is for fucking, not for looking.

You don't go to the movies much, do you?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

I've started watching a show called Suits.
I had previously dismissed it as yet another bullshit lawyer show but it is actually pretty good. Gives a nice window into the lawyering world with its "Smart but uneducated in law" lead.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2014, 04:26:34 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 01, 2014, 04:24:02 PM
I watched Maleficent this evening. I liked it. But then I like feminist revisionist fantasy.

To be honest I didn't think it was all that bad either; it's probably the best of all those epic remakes of classic fantasy tales (Alice in Wonderland, Oz, Snow White and the Huntsman, Red Riding Hood) that are popping up lately.

The whole feminist message is hilariously exaggerated though; there's not a single man in that story that isn't either evil or an idiot.

Well, it's not like there were more than 3 male characters in the story to begin with. I liked it as I said but then I am sucker for this new slew of movies. I liked them all and also Frozen and Brave.