News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Shawshank Redemption - I thought I'd seen this before. Turns out I haven't. I think I got it mixed up with the Green Mile. Yet I expected everything that was going to happen. I think its one of those films where The Simpsons and the like have satirised it so much that it is just part of standard cultural knowledge.
I kind of zoned out with the big important speech where Morgan Freeman is told where to go. I was expecting him to have forgotten the place to go or something bad to happen.
Good overall.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Walking Dead, so the scientist dude is exactly what most of us thought he was.

I am glad the detour didnt last long.  Now we get back to the real story - watching Carol and Daryl do their thing.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on November 09, 2014, 05:27:04 PM
Shawshank Redemption - I thought I'd seen this before. Turns out I haven't. I think I got it mixed up with the Green Mile. Yet I expected everything that was going to happen. I think its one of those films where The Simpsons and the like have satirised it so much that it is just part of standard cultural knowledge.
I kind of zoned out with the big important speech where Morgan Freeman is told where to go. I was expecting him to have forgotten the place to go or something bad to happen.
Good overall.

One of the all time great movies.  Too bad the Simpsons ruined it for you.

celedhring

Shawshank Redemption is one of those films that has been imitated and referenced so much that people watching it now for the first time will probably think it's tripe.

It's the "Seinfeld is unfunny" phenomenon: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on November 10, 2014, 04:47:03 AM
Shawshank Redemption is one of those films that has been imitated and referenced so much that people watching it now for the first time will probably think it's tripe.

It's the "Seinfeld is unfunny" phenomenon: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny

Yeah. It's like watching one of the early HBO shows or playing Dune 2. Generally, game changing/genre defining works usually end up being surpassed by their imitators.

lustindarkness

TWD. [spoiler]Does Eugene survive the beating? Will he keep his "TN top hat"?  :D Will they turn back? What about that massive herd? What happens to Beth? Will finding out who's corpse Carol and Daryl are burning help answer some questions? Gabriel and the gang back at the church? You have many questions? Well, we will just get more questions until the mid-season finale, I think we will get more of these cool character backstory episodes of each group, that is why they split them up to begin with.

How about Eugene watching Abe and Rosita? What a creepy :perv:.

Oh, and I loved the water cannon "washing off" a walker's head! :punk:[/spoiler]
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

I watched Gerald McBoing-Boing again.  It struck me that with it's limited style of animation (like in the later Hannah Barbera Cartoons) and message that even oddballs have value (like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer); it seems to belong to the 1960s.  In fact it comes from 1950, when Bugs and Daffy were gleefully shooting at each other with shotguns.  It's well ahead of it's time; but it's too bad it's time ever had to come.   :(

(To be fair it's much better than almost any cartoon from the 1960s; with the obvious exception of
Bambi meets Godzilla .)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Homeland. [spoiler]If Brody really was alive I would have thrown my TV out the window[/spoiler]
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: lustindarkness on November 10, 2014, 09:30:43 AM
TWD. [spoiler]
How about Eugene watching Abe and Rosita? What a creepy :perv:.
[/spoiler]

I'm guessing he doesn't get to do that anymore. :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

It seems that Jonathan Nolan has been signed by HBO to adapt the original three Foundation books for TV.

I foresee a drab colored series with sterile environments and stone faced monologuing characters spouting trailer quotes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

The Criterion sale just started and I'm flat busted. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Syt on November 10, 2014, 11:27:59 PM
It seems that Jonathan Nolan has been signed by HBO to adapt the original three Foundation books for TV.

I foresee a drab colored series with sterile environments and stone faced monologuing characters spouting trailer quotes.

That doesn't seem like the most obvious series to choose for TV.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

celedhring

Syt

I just don't "get" the Nolans. They have many fans and their movies make a lot of money, but they completely fail to engage me on an emotional level, and I often find their works dour and pretentious. Dark Knight is a bit of an exemption, because of the Joker who brings in an anarchic/emotional element.

Again, as they have a large following, I presume the fault lies with me (though I guess I now know how people feel who just can't stand any Tarantino movie).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on November 11, 2014, 03:39:05 AM
I just don't "get" the Nolans. They have many fans and their movies make a lot of money, but they completely fail to engage me on an emotional level, and I often find their works dour and pretentious. Dark Knight is a bit of an exemption, because of the Joker who brings in an anarchic/emotional element.

Again, as they have a large following, I presume the fault lies with me (though I guess I now know how people feel who just can't stand any Tarantino movie).

I dunno.  I wish I could generalize.  I wanted to say "It was Jon's fault!" but he wasn't there for Batman Begins (Chris' worst), and he was there for The Prestige (Chris' best).  I wanted to say Chris is better when he's working off an established story, but Begins is based on a specific Batman comic (sort of) and Inception isn't based on anything (well, except the Matrix :P ).

That said, I don't think any of his movies are bad, although Goddamn does Batman Begins come real close.

I think the overarching thing about the Nolans is how loud and bullying they are with emotionalism, not that they lack it.  Everything has got to be super on-the-nose.  That turns some people off, and some people like it.  I usually like it, though it can get too abrasive, as it does in Interstellar.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)