News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Catalan has a lot of hard k and qw sounds that I associate with Latin.  Sounds like it, at least.  I'm not really a trained phonologist. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

celerywing, bettter hide your women.

Queequeg

:lol:

Oh, please.  If my ethnic obsession translated in to success with women I would have slept with that gorgeous French-Armenian Sciences Po student in Istanbul, rather than freeze up around her like I had fucking lockjaw. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

Quote from: Queequeg on May 02, 2014, 06:59:08 PM
Catalan has a lot of hard k and qw sounds that I associate with Latin.  Sounds like it, at least.  I'm not really a trained phonologist.

The only Latin language I know well enough to compare it to is Spanish, and Spanish' phonology is more differentiated from Latin than Catalan's.

Queequeg

Oh man.  That brought up some bad memories.  I remember talking to some Italian Erasmus students with the French-Armenian girl and explaining that I knew where Alessandria and Piedmont in Italy was because I was a huge fan of Umberto Eco.  I'd had some conversations with her about France and Armenia and she suspected I was some kind of vaguely misanthropic autistic savant (not entirely inaccurate but the white-hot intensity of my crush on her didn't help) about Europe and that I was purposefully mangling my pronunciation of Umberto Eco to annoy them, and on my seventh attempt she half-screamed with exasperation "UMBERTO ECO! HE MEANS UMBERTO ECO!"

Ideologue

See, that's rude.  If I started shouting at a Spaniard that he wasn't pronouncing "Llewyn Davis" right or something, I'd be a real jerk for doing so.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Queequeg on May 02, 2014, 06:43:05 PM
Is the phonology conservative when compared to Castilian or French?

Think Southern French i.e Occitan/Langue d'Oc, influenced by Castilian.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on May 02, 2014, 07:26:19 AM
Japanese fans weren't around for the late 90s/early 00s when Godzilla had ridiculous thighs for about four movies in a row, I guess.
Godzilla's always been chunky.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 02, 2014, 08:04:35 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 02, 2014, 06:43:05 PM
Is the phonology conservative when compared to Castilian or French?

Think Southern French i.e Occitan/Langue d'Oc, influenced by Castilian.
Only time I've been to France was a few hours at Charles de Gaulle in 2010.   :blush:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

Quote from: Ideologue on May 02, 2014, 07:55:21 PM
See, that's rude.  If I started shouting at a Spaniard that he wasn't pronouncing "Llewyn Davis" right or something, I'd be a real jerk for doing so.
She was very frank.  It was a turn on.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on May 02, 2014, 07:10:55 PM
Oh man.  That brought up some bad memories.  I remember talking to some Italian Erasmus students with the French-Armenian girl and explaining that I knew where Alessandria and Piedmont in Italy was because I was a huge fan of Umberto Eco.  I'd had some conversations with her about France and Armenia and she suspected I was some kind of vaguely misanthropic autistic savant (not entirely inaccurate but the white-hot intensity of my crush on her didn't help) about Europe and that I was purposefully mangling my pronunciation of Umberto Eco to annoy them, and on my seventh attempt she half-screamed with exasperation "UMBERTO ECO! HE MEANS UMBERTO ECO!"
How are you supposed to pronounce Umberto Eco? Seems rather straight forward. :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

I was half-dead from my first real hookah session.  Who knows. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 02, 2014, 08:47:49 PM
How are you supposed to pronounce Umberto Eco? Seems rather straight forward. :unsure:

Oom bear toe. An English speaker reading phonetically might guess "umm, Bert-o?"
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?