News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Norgy on May 01, 2014, 08:00:15 AM
Right, I'm going to make a panegyrical movie about the life and times of Reinhard Heydrich, officer, gentleman and all-round fun bloke.

I'd like to watch that.

:wub:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Norgy

Order the Blu-Ray edition, get free leather coat.

Ed Anger

Ed Anger

I still think David Warner played the best Heydrich. discuss.

Norgy

Remember the movie "Fatherland" with Rutger Hauer? Based on the novel by Robert Harris. If it was one novel that deserved better, it was that one.

I've seen a few Heydrichs, a couple of Höss versions and a few Hitler. "Downfall" had Hitler nailed to how I imagine he was. Heydrich would be a demanding role to fill. Not only are you a former navy officer with a dishonourable discharge, you are supposedly the epitomy of Arian Ûbermenschklichkeit, a Gestapo chief, a genius at espionage and yet manage to get killed by a couple of Czech partisans.

Ed Anger

Quotea genius at espionage and yet manage to get killed by a couple of Czech partisans.

We all have off days.

Syt

Quote from: Norgy on May 01, 2014, 04:28:05 AM
Well, one of the girls certainly drank the Kool Aid. And the Jewish lad experienced both German and Polish anti-semitism in a magnificient twofer after escaping.
I imagine it'd be hard to make a drama about the human perspective of Dirlewanger or the likes.

I think the Poles filed a protest at that representation of their valiant partisans.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Norgy on May 01, 2014, 08:27:31 AM
Remember the movie "Fatherland" with Rutger Hauer? Based on the novel by Robert Harris. If it was one novel that deserved better, it was that one.

I've seen a few Heydrichs, a couple of Höss versions and a few Hitler. "Downfall" had Hitler nailed to how I imagine he was. Heydrich would be a demanding role to fill. Not only are you a former navy officer with a dishonourable discharge, you are supposedly the epitomy of Arian Ûbermenschklichkeit, a Gestapo chief, a genius at espionage and yet manage to get killed by a couple of Czech partisans.

I thought that Kenneth Branagh did a good Heydrich.

The best Goebbels I've seen was irritatingly played by a German comedian in a dramatization of the Stauffenberg assassination and coup attempt (which was better by a mile than that Tom Cruise flick).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

My off-days generally have less fatal consequences, but okay.
"Ferris Heydrich's Day Off" - a fusion of history and comedy. Czech subtitles optional.

Norgy

Quote from: Syt on May 01, 2014, 08:32:54 AM
Quote from: Norgy on May 01, 2014, 08:27:31 AM

I thought that Kenneth Branagh did a good Heydrich.

The best Goebbels I've seen was irritatingly played by a German comedian in a dramatization of the Stauffenberg assassination and coup attempt (which was better by a mile than that Tom Cruise flick).

Branagh was a good Heydrich. The movie as a whole was a major disappointment.

The Brain

Ann-Margret documentary on TV. She's such a great woman. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Norgy on May 01, 2014, 08:33:16 AM
My off-days generally have less fatal consequences, but okay.
"Ferris Heydrich's Day Off" - a fusion of history and comedy. Czech subtitles optional.

Better yet, a post-Czech partisan film comedy, "Weekend at Heydrich's"

Ed Anger

Vikings season 2 fulfilled my gore boner. :)

[spoiler]and for Spellus, Donal Logue bites it hard[/spoiler]

Queequeg

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 01, 2014, 10:08:03 PM
Vikings season 2 fulfilled my gore boner. :)

[spoiler]and for Spellus, Donal Logue bites it hard[/spoiler]
GOD DAMN WHY DID I LOOK AT THE SPOILERS!
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

I'm still shocked I know how to use the spoiler button. Damn new fangled thingamabobs.