News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Norgy on May 01, 2014, 04:16:39 AM
Anyone seen Unsere Mütter, Unsere Väter/Generation War?

I thought it was a very good drama. World War II seen from the perspective of four young German friends.

Saw it. Suffered from the "the nazis were the other guys" syndrome. Otherwise it was a solid miniseries, though.

Norgy

Well, one of the girls certainly drank the Kool Aid. And the Jewish lad experienced both German and Polish anti-semitism in a magnificient twofer after escaping.
I imagine it'd be hard to make a drama about the human perspective of Dirlewanger or the likes.

celedhring

I would be really interested in seeing a solid film/series that addressed what made Nazism so attractive instead of what made it so horrible, which is what most anti-Nazi films focus on. Probably there is something out there that I've missed though.

Norgy

"Der Ewige Jude" apparently was quite pro-Nazi... So is "Triumph of the Will".  :sleep:

celedhring

I was actually non-jokingly going to mention Triumph of the Wills. Really, what I would love to see is a good film that showed why otherwise ordinary decent people supported Nazism at the time.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on May 01, 2014, 04:34:10 AM
I would be really interested in seeing a solid film/series that addressed what made Nazism so attractive instead of what made it so horrible, which is what most anti-Nazi films focus on. Probably there is something out there that I've missed though.

Yeah, probably.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

But giant insects ARE vermin. :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 30, 2014, 07:42:11 PM
Quote(EW.com) -- Starz has picked up a two season, 20-episode order of half-hour scripted comedy series "Blunt Talk" from Seth MacFarlane ("Family Guy") and Jonathan Ames ("Bored to Death") and starring Patrick Stewart.

The series follows British newsman Walter Blunt (Stewart) on a mission to conquer American cable news by sharing his opinion and guidance, even when they are not wanted. Add a dysfunctional news staff, numerous ex-wives and children, and an alcoholic manservant, and you've got a recipe for comedy gold.

"I'm beyond thrilled to be working with Jonathan Ames and Sir Patrick Stewart," said Seth Macfarlane in a statement. "Jonathan's creative talent is formidable, and his writing style is wholly original, hilarious, and provocative. And of course, Patrick Stewart is one of the greatest actors alive today. His skill and versatility are unmatched, and he will excel as the star of his own show. Thank you Starz for allowing us to bring Walter Blunt to life!"

The series comes from Media Rights Capital, the folks behind MacFarlane's "Ted" and Netflix's "House of Cards," and will be executive produced via MacFarlane's Fuzzy Door Productions, Inc. MacFarlane and Stewart previously collaborated on the TV animated comedy "American Dad."

"My career took an abrupt and radical left turn when Seth McFarlane created CIA Deputy Director Avery Bullock on 'American Dad,'" said Patrick Stewart, who will next appear on the big screen in "X-Men: Days of Future Past." "This new character, Walter Blunt, is not at all like Avery, thank God, because this is live action and I am a Knight of the Realm. Blunt is, however, much smarter than Avery and has his own TV show, which has to be better than being Deputy Director of the CIA."

"In the character of Walter Blunt, Seth, Jonathan and Patrick have found the alchemy that makes a borderline alcoholic, mad-genius-Brit the man you want fighting in America's corner," said Starz CEO Chris Albrecht. "Seth and Jonathan have struck the right balance between biting wit and outright absurdity in building this world, and we cannot wait for Patrick to breathe life into Walter."

The series is slated to premiere some time next year.

This could be very good with a very good Patrick Stewart or very bad with a very good Patrick Stewart.

Interesting, Bored to Death was good and just got better and better. Family Guy was great but got worse and worse. So maybe.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

The White Ribbon  :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Night Porter?

celedhring

White Ribbon and Night Porter are allegories. I'm more looking for a film set in 1930s Germany that presents would-be Nazi supporters as protagonists.

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Capetan Mihali

Fassbinder's Berlin Alexanderplatz mini-series does a decent job of depicting (a stylized version of) the Weimar landscape that allowed the Nazis to take control, though it of course directs a lot attention to the melodrama.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Norgy

Right, I'm going to make a panegyrical movie about the life and times of Reinhard Heydrich, officer, gentleman and all-round fun bloke.

Capetan Mihali

Actually, Germany Year Zero does a decent job of showing the appeal of Hitler Youth and related organizations, even late in the war.