News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

I don't know what a Catalan accent is, so I think my brain goes back to "default intellectual with a slightly weird Romance-language accent Western European" which, apparently, is Poirot. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Didn't you watch L'Augerge Espanol?  The locals were Catalans.

They sounded a lot like...Spaniards.

Queequeg

I mostly remember the unrealistically hot lesbian. And I think Tautou.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

Quote from: Queequeg on May 02, 2014, 06:12:57 PM
I don't know what a Catalan accent is, so I think my brain goes back to "default intellectual with a slightly weird Romance-language accent Western European" which, apparently, is Poirot.

For your education:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lWZ4wSdWvY

Suppose that to a foreigner it will sound close to Spanish.

Queequeg

I actually hated the movie, and it made me suspect that the Erasmus students in Istanbul were having a ton of sex that I wasn't (they were.) 

Also, the mental image of Hercule Poirit gasping "Mare de Déu" at the sight of Alexandra Daddario's breasts made me chuckle for a few minutes.  Don't take that away from me. 

Queequeg

Queequeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYa3wGOWcs8

It somehow sounds more Portuguese to me than Spanish but I'm guessing that's cause it sounds like Spanish but somehow I know it isn't. 

EDIT: Unsurprisingly all the girls in this video are gorgeous. 

Norgy

You're quite something, Psellus. And I mean that in a good way.

celedhring

Quote from: Queequeg on May 02, 2014, 06:29:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYa3wGOWcs8

It somehow sounds more Portuguese to me than Spanish but I'm guessing that's cause it sounds like Spanish but somehow I know it isn't. 

EDIT: Unsurprisingly all the girls in this video are gorgeous.

Those are pretty hillbilly accents.

Queequeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRTu3oWC14o

It has the "ch" sound I associate with Rio Portuguese, which I've heard a lot of.  Also the weird "ow" sound that I associate with Rio Portuguese, don't even know how to express in IPA because English, Russian and Turkish don't have anything quite like it. 

Queequeg

Is the phonology conservative when compared to Castilian or French?

celedhring

Quote from: Queequeg on May 02, 2014, 06:43:05 PM

I... I... I don't think I'm qualified to answer that, I don't even know what it means...

Queequeg

Quote from: celedhring on May 02, 2014, 06:44:55 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 02, 2014, 06:43:05 PM

I... I... I don't think I'm qualified to answer that, I don't even know what it means...
I'm not hearing that much that isn't very Latin.  French and Romanian are both super derived phonologically (they don't sound like Cato's Latin; I'm trained in Slavic phonology and can't really tell that Romanian isn't Slavic unless I listen for specific words or the th sound).  Think the very un-Latin French nasal vowels. 

Queequeg

celedhring

In that case, yes, Catalan is a bit closer to Latin than Spanish, but not as much as some of the Italian dialects.