News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Oh, okay.  That had two Ts.  I thought it was maybe some IMF concept involving age.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Check out the big brain on Syt.  :)

Eddie Teach

Yi's so old his rule won't let him date twenty-somethings.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

32.  My limit now is 32.

Ideologue

That's about when they cross the Shatner line.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on January 13, 2014, 03:18:35 PM

I don't get it.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2014, 03:23:16 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 13, 2014, 03:18:35 PM

I don't get it.

Turns out the real final frontier is the treadmill and no one's interested in exploring it.
Kinemalogue

Savonarola

Sumurun (1920)

Released as "One Arabian Night" in the United States; this Ernst Lubitsch film features lavish sets and a large cast.  There are two main stories; in one the favorite concubine of the Sheik has fallen in love with a cloth merchant and the harem's attempts to aid and abet her affair while outwitting the eunuchs.  The second story is that a hunchback clown (Lubitsch) loves a dance girl (German silent cinema star Pola Negri) but she's eager to be sold into the harem of the Sheik (fulfilling every German woman's secret fantasy.)

The film alternates in mood throughout from erotic, to comic, to pathetic, to romantic, to tragic, to slapstick.  It doesn't work.  The actors, for the most part, seem distant and stilted (with the exception of Negri and the Sheik (Paul Wegener.)  The lovers are forgettable, and Lubitsch is unable to make his clown sympathetic in the way that Lon Chaney could in similar roles.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Bummer.  That's on Netflix and I was thinking about watching it at some point when I found the time.
Kinemalogue

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on January 13, 2014, 05:22:08 PM
Bummer.  That's on Netflix and I was thinking about watching it at some point when I found the time.

I wouldn't recommend it; but that doesn't mean you won't like it. 

Is "The Oyster Princess" (Die Austernprinzessin) on Netflix?  Of the Lubitsch silent films that I've seen (which haven't been that many) that one is my favorite.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Nope, although I Don't Want To Be a Man is.  That's a cover that gets your attention, in a "how the fuck was this made?" sort of way, until you realize one of them is a chick in drag.

Apropos of nothing, what's that pre-code movie about people having sex that's famous?  You know the one I mean.  It's 1931ish.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

I consulted a list of pre-Code films, and, duh, it was Tarzan and His Mate.

QuoteTarzan rides a rhinoceros in one scene - a first for film. The rhino, Mary, was imported from the Hagenbeck Zoo in Hamburg, Germany. Weismuller did the scene himself, sustaining only minor scrapes to sensitive places from Mary's rough hide.

Way off, though.  It was 1934.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Holy cow.  Did you know that Saul Bass, America's favorite title sequence designer, had a directing credit?

It's a little film you might've heard of called Phase IV.  For those not in the know, it's a movie about a solar flare (or something) that grants super-intelligence to every species of ant, who put aside their long-standing differences and set out to conquer the world.  95% of the budget, about fifty bucks, appears to have been devoted to its microcosmic photography of ants, and it was featured in the little-seen KTMA season of MST3K.  However, while it's both a little dull and a lot weird--the ending, which I won't spoil, takes the picture from "the writer came up with an interesting conceit" to "we need to stage an intervention"--it may actually be the best movie ever featured on MST3K, and really contends for that title only with the Gamera and Godzilla films, Moon Zero Two, a proper sci-fi film of some merit, and Danger! Diabolik, the Italian supervillain flick that closed the series out.

I only mention it because it's such a bizarre intersection of high and low cinema, and the next time you're having a conversation about the title sequence for Psycho, you can say it was created by Saul Bass, director of the preeminent antsploitation film of the 1970s.
Kinemalogue