News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 12, 2014, 10:42:45 PM
You know what would delight me? STOP REMAKING MOVIES.

FUCKING ASSBURGER FUCKS.

If it wasn't remakes, it'd be fucking sequels.

Star Trek: Thr Hipster Generation and Zombie Charlton Heston Returns to the Planet of the Apes.

Or crossovers....Apes vs. Terminators.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on January 12, 2014, 10:27:41 PM
Which new one?  You mean the 2011 one?  You're nuts.  That's one of the best movies of the century so far.

The 2000, Tim Burton remake had its charms.  Costume and production design for two.  Cool wirework.  And Tim Roth again.  Plus, I enjoyed the timefuckery once I figured it out.
Explain
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

FUCKING ASSBURGER FUCKS.

it's laziness IMO.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2014, 11:02:41 PM

FUCKING ASSBURGER FUCKS.

it's laziness IMO.

Even worse:  lack of imagination in a risk-averse industry.  Go fig on that one, huh?

Can't wait til Hollywood rapes the Millennial generation's childhood like they raped ours, but their little gnat brains won't remember it by then anyway.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on January 12, 2014, 10:38:54 PMAlso, if King Kong didn't, it marked the perfection of Andy Serkis' craft.

It did.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

I don't remember Gollum being in King Kong.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Malthus on January 12, 2014, 05:19:34 PM
Just as an aside - do you guys often walk out of movies that suck? Somehow, I've never actually done that - even if a movie sucks, I tend to stay to the end anyway.
I'm SURE I remember doing it for one film but I can't for the life of me remember what.
██████
██████
██████

Scipio

Quote from: The Larch on January 12, 2014, 04:26:21 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 12, 2014, 09:20:42 AM
Speaking of movies..

Iron Man 2. Just about unwatchable. Mickey Rourke looked so greasy. Blah.

Rating:

Not even Scarlett Johansson in tight leather can redeem it?
Her Russian was abysmal, and remains so.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Josquius

Broadchurch- Interesting. British detective series which doesn't feel cheap and boring. Kind of has the aura of a Scandinavian series.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 12, 2014, 10:55:59 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 12, 2014, 10:27:41 PM
Which new one?  You mean the 2011 one?  You're nuts.  That's one of the best movies of the century so far.

The 2000, Tim Burton remake had its charms.  Costume and production design for two.  Cool wirework.  And Tim Roth again.  Plus, I enjoyed the timefuckery once I figured it out.
Explain

Iirc, the way the time hole works is the longer you wait in the future on the PotA, the further it sends you back in time, but the longer you wait in our solar system, the further into the PotA's future you go.  That's why Beppo or Chim-Chim or whoever, lost before Wahlberg, comes back after him.  And that's how Tim Roth (or his descendants and successors) are able to beat Wahlberg back to Earth.

Of course, the ending to PotA2000 is not a patch on the ending of the original, in terms of meaning the littlest thing, but that's okay, and I'm glad they tried something new.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

FUCKING ASSBURGER FUCKS.

Yeah, good point.  I'm really tired of all these shitty remakes my generation's thrust upon the public, like Gaslight, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Thief of Bagdad, The Magnificent Seven, A Fistfull of Dollars, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Fly, and The Thing, not to mention pastiches that just regurgitate earlier works for today's kids, like Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

In any event, I don't think anyone can claim with a straight face that Conquest of the Planet of the Apes and Battle for the Planet of the Apes are such perfect films that remaking them was an insult to a whole generation of viewers. :lol:  Now, Escape?  OK, maybe.  That movie's amazing.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

I am also severely tired of the superhero movie shit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

I watched Ingmar Bergman's The Silence last night.  Now thatsa movie! :secret: (It's the "silence of God.") 

The Criterion disc includes the original trailer for US release (1963), which is hilarious, just mashing up the sexy scenes and presenting it breathlessly as a soft-core movie about "those who live only for their carnal desires." 

It was considered the most sexually explicit mainstream movie of its time, and there were serious censorship fights in Europe and certain scenes were cut, but oddly not in America; I think foreign "art-house" film was just too marginal for the relevant authorities to even care about. 

Actually, that continues to be the case, where a (pretty bad) movie like Baise-moi from 2000 was hugely controversial in France, banned completely in Germany, had to make cuts elsewhere, but was just released straight-up in the US, had like 5000 ticket sales, and then disappeared completely.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 13, 2014, 09:16:13 AM
In any event, I don't think anyone can claim with a straight face that Conquest of the Planet of the Apes and Battle for the Planet of the Apes are such perfect films that remaking them was an insult to a whole generation of viewers. :lol:

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.