Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: viper37 on December 06, 2013, 02:05:59 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 06, 2013, 01:13:23 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 06, 2013, 01:09:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 06, 2013, 01:06:17 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 06, 2013, 03:24:44 AM
OK Canucks. Thoughts, ratings, etc on; Shake Hands With The Devil (2007)

Seedy, friends don't let friends watch Can-Con movies.
The film received 12 nominations at the 28th Genie Awards and tied with the film Eastern Promises for most nominations

This one might be the exception.

It's the Genie awards.  Besides, it didn't actually win any of those awards.
the book is pretty good.  Roy Dupuis is usually a very decent actor.  I can't see what could be wrong with the movie.  Have you seen it?

Thanks all, I'll catch it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 06, 2013, 02:15:43 PM
Was Eastern Promises a Canucklehead film?
Canadian director, American funding, European actors. It's enough to make it an honorary Canucklehead film, I guess :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on December 05, 2013, 08:09:58 PM
Can you blame them?

Making a show about a place they have never been to?  Of course.  One of many abominable things about Glee.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on December 06, 2013, 02:33:20 PM
Quote from: Josephus on December 06, 2013, 02:27:50 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 06, 2013, 02:20:35 PM
I went to a wedding that could have been an extra scene in Eastern Promises ...  :D

I was at a Russian Jewish wedding this past weekend. I was scared to even look somebody the wrong way.

Did it have the hard-faced dudes with short buzzed hair and prison tats?

Was the wedding entertainment a transvestite?  ;)

No. But we had a magician and a belly dancer.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Just saw Superman.

Pretty good.  Lots of bad things, very predictable, but overall, pretty good.

Bad things:
  • [spoiler]Americans are dumb.  First, they attack the aliens with A-10 and it fails.  So they send the ground troops with M-16.  When all else fails, they resort to pistols.  I mean, c'mon.  If the A-10 manage to, at best, knock out the opponent, what would a light caliber weapon do to him?  And when your realize that shooting isn't doing anything, you keep shooting your gun until there's no bullet, then you draw your blade??  I suppose it could be interpreted as critique of the gun culture, i.e. a gun isn't always a man best friend, but still.[/spoiler]
  • [spoiler]Superman and the other Kryptonians attack each another with airplanes and locomotives wich, when crashed on the ground, destroy the streets, but not the buildings along their paths.[/spoiler]
  • [spoiler]Superman is facing people as strong as him with similar powers, but he tells people to simply go inside and lock their doors.  For fuck sake, tell them to leave the area?[/spoiler]
  • [spoiler]Zod says his people will take years to adapt to Earth's atmosphere, and suffer along the way like Kal El.  Yet, by the end of the movie, he has Superman strength, power, and ability to ignore unwanted noises.[/spoiler]
  • [spoiler]Zod is a psycho on par only with the Governor from Walking Dead.  Superman does not feel any remorse for killing hundreds, maybe thousands of innocents by destroying his scout ship, he just doomed his race.  Yet, he's crying after killing Zod, the last of the Kryptonians on Earth, bent on destroying everything and everyone.  Illogical.[/spoiler]
Still, a very good movie, despite these minor points.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Saw the first couple episodes of Dracula. Not bad.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

I told a friend not to watch "The host".  Told him it was crap, despite a good premises, halfway through, it became some teenage girl flick like Twilight.
What did he tell me this week?
-"I watched the Host, I remembered only someone told me about it.  After 45 minutes, it became crap, like that tween vampire movie".
- I told you last week NOT to watch it!  didn't you listen?
- Oh, that was the movie.

See? no one listens to me, and they all end up regretting it, always!  :D

Eddie Teach

Ideologue

I'm still gonna see The Host at some point.  I'm depressingly fascinated with Andrew Niccol's career shame spiral. -_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on December 07, 2013, 12:23:32 AM
I told a friend not to watch "The host".  Told him it was crap, despite a good premises, halfway through, it became some teenage girl flick like Twilight.
What did he tell me this week?
-"I watched the Host, I remembered only someone told me about it.  After 45 minutes, it became crap, like that tween vampire movie".
- I told you last week NOT to watch it!  didn't you listen?
- Oh, that was the movie.

See? no one listens to me, and they all end up regretting it, always!  :D

LOL, yeah, I had the same issues with it;  I was watching it, seemed pretty good, and then somewhere in the middle of a monster movie, a Lettow-style ROK schoolgirl emo flick broke out.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Kleves

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 07, 2013, 01:34:48 AM
Quote from: viper37 on December 07, 2013, 12:23:32 AM

LOL, yeah, I had the same issues with it;  I was watching it, seemed pretty good, and then somewhere in the middle of a monster movie, a Lettow-style ROK schoolgirl emo flick broke out.
I think you guys are talking about different movies.  :hmm:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on December 07, 2013, 12:10:26 AM
Just saw Superman.

Pretty good.  Lots of bad things, very predictable, but overall, pretty good.
Still, a very good movie, despite these minor points.

Seriously, you missed [spoiler]

• The Tornado Scene
  • Jonathan Kent telling Clark to let innocents die if it's good for Clark
[/spoiler]

How can you make a list of stupid shit and miss that?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on December 07, 2013, 03:55:27 AM
Seriously, you missed [spoiler]

• Jonathan Kent telling Clark to let innocents die if it's good for Clark
[/spoiler]

How can you make a list of stupid shit and miss that?

Stupid because it goes against "canon" or do you think that's stupid on its own merits?