News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Yes, yes it is and understandable too.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Quote from: Queequeg on December 08, 2013, 02:31:53 AM
I'm perversely fascinated by the intensity of my negative reaction.  There's a lot of feeling coming up.

I can dig it.  It's universally praised but as far as I can tell without having seen it (yet) it's an hour and a half of some fucking annoying woman.  It's on My List in Netflix, but I watched Mulan instead.  B+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2013, 03:12:54 AM

I can dig it.  It's universally praised but as far as I can tell without having seen it (yet) it's an hour and a half of some fucking annoying woman.  It's on My List in Netflix, but I watched Mulan instead. B+
Watched that for the first time recently with my students, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

Golf (1922)

Larry Semon (I assume it's supposed to rhyme with "Lemon", but I also assume he was picked on a lot as a child) stars in this slapstick adventure.  Most of it's just gags strung together, some that take place on the golf course.  At one point the film turns into Caddy Shack as Larry is confronted by a squirrel on the golf course who steals his ball.  Larry draws a pistol on the squirrel (the Roaring 20s were like that) and the squirrel manages to steal the gun and fire it at Larry.

Oliver Hardy :bowler: is the bad guy (comic villain was his usual role until he started acting with Stan Laurel  :bowler:.)   in this one who chases Larry around through much of the movie.  He even puts nitroglycerin into Larry's ball; at which the film turns into a Silly Symphony Cartoon.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

I'm perversely fascinated by the intensity of my negative reaction.  There's a lot of feeling coming up.

What's it about, and why is it horrible?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Queequeg

Quote from: Malthus on December 08, 2013, 01:15:34 PM

What's it about, and why is it horrible?
A shitty fucking hipster dancer in New York having shitty fucking adventures without much regard to plot or growth or character development. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Scipio

Inside Man.

Still the best Spike Lee joint.

It's a pity he's never matched it.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Eddie Teach

At least his career's done better than the Knicks.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

The Sword in the Stone (1963).  A sub-mediocre, boring movie about young king-to-be Arthur--at no point is the lad's identity a secret in any fashion--and his crappy education at the hands of Merlin, an uncredentialed time traveler and wizard whose pedagogical methods largely involve transforming the boy into a series of animals and subjecting him to the physical and psychosexual torments appropriate to each one's idiom.  My favorite part was definitely when he laughs when the (12 year old) Arthur is about to be raped by a squirrel.  LOL.  Actually, even better might be when Merlin engages in a Wizard's Duel with Morgan le Fay Madam Mim, to the death, without bothering to change Arthur back from a bird into a boy first.  What an asshole.  The duel itself, however, is the only genuinely interesting sequence in the film.

So, really, my favorite part is probably the seventy minutes this film lacks a villain or conflict you might give a shit about--Madam Mim appears and disappears for no narratively obvious reason--unless you count Arthur's master as the villain.  He's some duke or something, who is basically a high school bully despite the facts that 1)Arthur is under Merlin's protection and 2)the duke has seen Merlin commit egregious acts of magic which could easily kill him.

Also, despite the promise of jousting, there is no jousting to be had, and the kid voicing Arthur is annoying, and I'd probably give him swirlies too.  This movie is largely not even animated that well.

It's a shame, because a time-traveling Merlin and the youth of Arthur, not to mention an evil female sorceress bent on destroying him, are good story elements, which is why they've been in good stories.  Just not this one.

C
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2013, 10:04:07 PM
The Sword in the Stone (1963).  A sub-mediocre, boring movie about young king-to-be Arthur--at no point is the lad's identity a secret in any fashion--and his crappy education at the hands of Merlin, an uncredentialed time traveler and wizard whose pedagogical methods largely involve transforming the boy into a series of animals and subjecting him to the physical and psychosexual torments appropriate to each one's idiom.  My favorite part was definitely when he laughs when the (12 year old) Arthur is about to be raped by a squirrel.  LOL.  Actually, even better might be when Merlin engages in a Wizard's Duel with Morgan le Fay Madam Mim, to the death, without bothering to change Arthur back from a bird into a boy first.  What an asshole.  The duel itself, however, is the only genuinely interesting sequence in the film.

So, really, my favorite part is probably the seventy minutes this film lacks a villain or conflict you might give a shit about--Madam Mim appears and disappears for no narratively obvious reason--unless you count Arthur's master as the villain.  He's some duke or something, who is basically a high school bully despite the facts that 1)Arthur is under Merlin's protection and 2)the duke has seen Merlin commit egregious acts of magic which could easily kill him.

Also, despite the promise of jousting, there is no jousting to be had, and the kid voicing Arthur is annoying, and I'd probably give him swirlies too.  This movie is largely not even animated that well.

It's a shame, because a time-traveling Merlin and the youth of Arthur, not to mention an evil female sorceress bent on destroying him, are good story elements, which is why they've been in good stories.  Just not this one.

C

:rolleyes:

BTW have you seen Disney's Robin Hood.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Eddie Teach

Quote from: 11B4V on December 08, 2013, 10:32:50 PM

Robin Hood, Jungle Book and Alice in Wonderland are all awesome.

Ideologue

Quote from: 11B4V on December 08, 2013, 10:32:50 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2013, 10:04:07 PM

C

Yes.  I adored it as a child, I listened to the Roger Miller soundtrack just last week, and if pressed would give it a B+ right now.  It's newly on IW, but I'm really into Tarzan at the moment (not on IW and with a long wait) so I plopped the three bucks to rent it off Amazon.  I remember liking Tarzan a lot but disliking the Phil Collins songs.
Kinemalogue